m_gabriel

Small Bathroom(s) - Use Color on Walls or Vanity?

m_gabriel

Hello - I am redoing the two small bathrooms in my 85 year old mom's townhome for her while she is out of town next month. The goal is basic, clean and fresh with a bent towards cheerful without being too crazy. My mom enjoys rooms of different colors and had the place painted peach, lavender, bright blue and a pretty bright teal in various rooms. A completely neutral room would be blah to her.

The bathrooms are basic 3 piece kind of like this picture (not her place):

Tub/shower combos will be prefab white units. Flooring will be sheet vinyl, probably something neutral so she can choose a colorful mat.

The smaller master bathroom is set with a light gray 26" feminine freestanding vanity and a light grayish pink paint color choice and pretty flower art in mostly shades of pink.

Question is about the hall bathroom that has a 36" vanity. I was all set to get an unfinished wood vanityand paint it a muted teal with a bright white top and light neutral paint like BM Classic Gray which I have in my house. Seeing the picture above made me wonder if the splash of color is better on the wall and now I'm curious about the different effects. Opinions?

Painted Vanity/Neutral Wall (not actual vanity/room; just for color example):

And then this one with the browner top made me second guess the white top plan:

I'm wondering if adding those slightly darker elements in countertop, mirror and floor would make it more universally appealing and/or varied vs. both bathrooms being "girly".

Actual likely vanity (to bring it all back to lower budget reality):

I'm trying to understand ahead of time the impact of color from the different elements so I can choose what might be most appealing for my mom. Anyone want to chime in?

(Thankfully, I have an awesome contractor who has already done lots of work at our home and other projects so I do not have any concerns about workmanship or the job getting done in my timeframe.)