Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malbec916

Dishwasher next to Ikea 47" Corner Cabinet with Utrusta pull-out

3 years ago

Hi! I'm working on a kitchen design and hoping to make use of the Ikea Sektion Corner Base Cabinet with the Utrusta pull-out function in 2 of my corners. I want to place the dishwasher (and possibly the stove as well, next to the other corner) next to (or "around the corner from") the Corner cabinets. I'm having trouble figuring out the clearance needed surrounding the corner cabinet to ensure that both the corner cabinet door/pull-out function AND the dishwasher can open properly. I don't expect them to open at the same time; just want to ensure that each can open individually without crashing into the other.

** Note that this layout is a work in progress; I'm working with a small space and still trying to fit everything in; hence the small disorganized cabinets currently next to the range. We are moving walls so we can make a few extra inches available in either direction; but this is the basic appliance layout we are hoping for.

The dishwasher would be at least 25" deep. The corner cabinet comes with the 2" filler strip, which I think would make it so that the dishwasher can open freely, but would the corner cabinet open freely as well? It looks like the corner cabinet comes with a 21" door, which leaves 26" of width into the corner (47"-21"= 26"). I assume this makes it so the corner cabinet door can open freely when set up against regular 24" deep cabinets.

Does anyone have experience with these corner cabinets opening toward anything deeper than the standard 24" cabinet? Will it work next to a 25-27" deep Dishwasher or Range?

Thank you for any help/advice!

Link to the corner cabinet:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/sektion-corner-base-cab-w-pull-out-fitting-white-kungsbacka-anthracite-s49343153/

Comments (13)

• 3 years ago

Don't really have experience with corner shelves but have experience with dishwashers and other doors having to be closed to open one or the other. I think, by looking at your drawing the corner door and the dishwasher would work BUT how often (and for me it would be often) would you want the dishwasher door down and want something from the corner cupboard at the same time? I would put your dishwasher on the other side of your sink and sink closer to the corner pullout unless you are working around a window.

• 3 years ago

The door is 21 ". There is a 3/4 deep x 2 "wide filler, so the hidden part should be 25 1/4", so it is probably too narrow for what you want to do.

• 3 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. It seems I need to rethink the layout. @erinsean, that’s a good point about wanting to have the DW and the drawers of the other cabinets open at the same time. Unfortunately, the space is in an attic apartment so the ceilings are sloped toward the back run of cabinets so we had the DW in that spot because the ceiling is still slightly low for the sink to go there. @lg222, thank you, these measurements are super helpful. I couldn’t find that anywhere on ikeas website, thank you for taking the time to reply. Sounds like there will not be enough room for my idea. @juneknow thanks for the tip about the range. I was hoping to get an “apartment size” stove, so the depth would only be 25”, but it’d still be too deep. I like the idea of the lazy susan. I’ll look into that. Thank you!

• 3 years ago

Hello, Bb

Did you end up with this design? I have the same issue and was hoping you came to a solution.

Richard

• 3 years ago

How do you like the lazy susan? I think it is going to be my only option.

• 3 years ago

Ikeas corner units are flimsy and not good quality. We always upgrade to these in all the ikea kitchens we do. They fit into an ikea corner cabinet very easily.

• 3 years ago

julieste, it was slightly more difficult to install due to the size. But easily done with 2 people. As for function, I like it so far but I haven’t used it up too much yet because we just finished the cabinets. I plan to do some unpacking tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it feels once it’s loaded up with dishes. Right now I have pots and pans in there and it’s working well but they are fairly lightweight.

• 3 years ago

jdesign_gw , thanks for the tip. I already installed my ikea one so I’m stuck with that. Hopefully it holds up since this kitchen won’t get heavy use.

What brand is the corner pull out unit that you posted? I looked up “eurofronts” and I see their Instagram but no website. Is that the brand?

• 3 years ago

@Malbec

WOW. Thanks for the detailed info. This was a large help and have to love the delays!

I noticed that you have a butcher block counter so I assume the dishwasher is attached to the top and right side with no support on the left.

I will have a stone so I think I need a left and a right and will have to build another side behind the filler. Looks like I will have similar issues with the drawers.

This info helps thank you.

• 3 years ago

Hi Richard, yep I think you’re right that we’ll attach the dishwasher on the top and perhaps the right side. I did quartz in my last kitchen and the countertop fabricator/installer attached the dishwasher to the quartz on top using an epoxy adhesive to glue two brackets to the quartz. The adhesive broke off on one bracket after about a year. I later had to unscrew the other bracket to work on the dishwasher, and the epoxy broke while I was using the screwdriver (gently :)) So I would suggest mounting to the sides instead even if you do have the option of gluing it to the stone on top. That dishwasher and quartz was installed only 2 years ago so it wasn’t super outdated epoxy technology or anything, though maybe they have better options out there by now.

• 3 years ago

Hi Mb, the corner unit is a “LeMans ll” it’s made by a German company. We sell them to are clients for a discounted price from what you see online when we do a custom IKEA kitchen. for them. The @eurofronts is an Instagram page with some photos of our work . We are working on a website for that which will probably be under a different name when launched.

• 4 months ago

Hi,

Do you know which size Lemans II you order for the 47" Ikea corner storage cabinet?

SEKTION

Corner base cabinet with pull-out fitting

Article #: 424.638.18