Shop Products
lolainlasvegas

Can someone help me tone down too formal living room with poor layout?

lolainlasvegas

We’ve been accumulating things in small house for 25 yrs. since retirement and quarantine, I’m more obsessed with dissatisfaction with this room. Too much furniture, not welcoming. Need edit, maybe reupholstery. Art work important, authentic with history for me but maybe makes things too formal. Open to any thoughts and suggestions. My taste has never been traditional, but here I am. Help me change the vibe please. I am going to try to post pics. Thank you.

Photos · More Info

Comments (9.1K)

• liasch

Good idea, Gls…did the same, with screenshots.

• liasch

Lola, your fave cat lounging on new coverlet. Breaking it in…

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • Alice Edwards

Lia she’s really owning your new bedspread. It’s very pretty and Mooze is adorable as always!

lolainlasvegas thanked Alice Edwards
  • lolainlasvegas

Awww. I want the bedspread and the cat❤️I am starting to come around to having interest in living. This is bigger deal than expected. Mostly sleeping as much as possible.

Thanks everyone for good wishes. Especially Jay for food suggestions. ❤️

Flo Mangan

Hoping everyone recovers from their various health challenges. Kitty sure looks cozy. Next 2 nights here will be cold. Way below normal if there is such a thing. So far we have power and heat and food on hand. So hoping that continues. Kids leave tomorrow and they are probably going to have some travel challenges for sure. No precipitation forecast. Possibly a few flurries! Pray no freezing rain!!

• Lisa SW

Godspeed to the travelers, Flo. At least across the Midwest it looks like fairly decent flying weather. And I know it’s relative, but I woke up to -9 (actual) and wind chill in the -40s. But the weather lifted my mood — sun glistening off a foot of snow. Beats the mild but continuously rainy, grey December we had. I’m about to bundle up and head to piano lessons where I’ll need to explain why I can’t play La Donna e Mobile. Frosty the Snowman and Winter Wonderland seemed more appropriate the last week.

Flo Mangan

Thanks Lisa SW. STAY safe and warm wherever you are!

lolainlasvegas thanked Flo Mangan
  • liasch

Surgery is always a big body stressor… And especially anything around with teeth. Rest is definitely in order and stay hydrated!

• liasch

The Mooz is saying goodnight. Cat admiration time!

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • Lisa SW

All hail to the Queen!

lolainlasvegas thanked Lisa SW
  • Alice Edwards

Don’t you curl those toes at me :), lmao

lolainlasvegas thanked Alice Edwards
  • lolainlasvegas

Such a great good night message. Thank you! For future reference; if anxiety coming on, get your cues from the very relaxed and contented Cat. God, I love The Mooz! ❤️

• liasch

Sharing this artist here in case you miss it on my thread. Check this woman out… Turn of the last century Danish artist. Many more online. her name is at the bottom of the photograph

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • lolainlasvegas

Oh liasch! You know I love these, Currently, going down a Bertha Wegmann research rabbit hole. She is very famous and apparently appreciated during her life time.

I am almost ready to start engaging again. Had follow up with oral surgeon yesterday. He said I am healing ”remarkably” well well. Good for me. Just have to go to pain management appointment Tuesday. Stressing about that one. I was scolded at my last appointment with new ”provider”. I asked to see actual doctor this time. Much division about pain meds. Stigma, guilt guilt, etc etc. No picnic but meds are what work for me.

• lolainlasvegas

OK, 11th hour resolution; time to exit this self inflicted depression. Starting to actually thinking about getting this house in order again. Spring will be coming maybe after this next dose of California rain. So lucky. Feeling bad for all of you back East. ❤️

• liasch

Lola, I understand your feelings about pain, medication and medication in general. However, you need a balance… Long term pain can set up feedback loops in your body that you don’t need. Don’t ask me how I know. Best to deal with it, particularly if you know the cause and it’s simply a matter of helping you to heal. feel no guilt!

• liasch

Any time I’m not feeling well My housekeeping all goes to the rats. I’m not going to worry about it. I know that sooner or later I will pull it back together. So you’ve been through a recent difficult situation with your body and you’re still going through it by the sounds of it. Cut yourself some slack! Spring is coming… But you are correct. Nobody’s thinking about that here right now. 🤦🏼‍♀️

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • Ostin Martin

It looks like a cozy space with lots of character! For a less formal vibe, maybe try lighter, more casual fabrics for reupholstery. Consider removing one or two pieces of furniture to open up the space. The artwork is lovely – maybe mix it with some modern pieces to create a balance? And some throw pillows with fun patterns could add a nice touch of informality and comfort.

lolainlasvegas thanked Ostin Martin
  • lolainlasvegas

Hey. Thanks to everyone for stopping back, even though I have been full of negativity lately. Saw doctor yesterday who finally levelled with me (I think). Namely, that I have been at top of what they are willing to prescribe. At least I know. Uncertainty is the hardest thing for me to deal with. I feel relieved of burden of upcoming appts/commitments and feel optomistic/hopeful at this point. I will figure out how to get back into stable routine for myself. I am even feeling some glimmers of LOVE for my stuff and my house. Will post if/when I actually move forward with anything. Thanks again.❤️❤️❤️❤️

• jayapple21

lola, lucky you! (eye roll... 🙄) Your post seems to have been found by a 'medical marketing pro' which is not exactly the kind of 'pro' that usually gives helpful info on Houzz. 🫤

**********************

I really do hope you are feeling more like your good self and that you have lots of sunny days ahead to help you make through to Spring! 🪺🪴

lolainlasvegas thanked jayapple21
  • lolainlasvegas

Thanks Jay❤️ I am feeling like a new person today

• pat1250

🙏

lolainlasvegas thanked pat1250
  • glschisler

Lola I am so happy you are feeling better today! But I know what you mean about spring coming! In fact today I changed out a vase for my white silk hydrangeas. It was a gold pineapple vase, now it is a yellow 1950’s lemonade pitcher I use as a vase! It made me happy!😉

lolainlasvegas thanked glschisler
  • lolainlasvegas

Thank you Glischler!❤️ That is exactly how my happiness mechanism works. Just the smallest things if my existing disposition is open to it. Gorgeous yellow! I am better than ok today. Sun is shining and I am even contemplating new project. Slip cover for club chair in FR. Have sent out request for quote from upholstery company. will post some pics shortly.

• lolainlasvegas

This is a quilt I really like. Took it off bed due to dogs eating it. After getting new coffee table and recliner started thinking about helping that chair on the left look better with new white recliner. Recliner also needs something too. As you know I really really love prints and I am liking this even with the Elephant print. I have been living with it for few months. Open to thoughts. Also Also, if anyone could easily consolidate the elements in my room , I would be very grateful❤️

Sorry, these aren’t ideal pics. need to get some new ones

• ladma

Lola, I’m so glad you are feeling better! I have no ideas for you, but I still love your coffee table

The 8-12 inches of snow we were supposed to get has been downgraded to 4”. That’s nothing!

lolainlasvegas thanked ladma
  • lolainlasvegas

Always glad to hear from you ladma.❤️Thank you, the coffee table is one of those things that bring me happiness daily. Even when I am down.

• happyleg

The art at chair either too low or needs to go. Hang above the mantle & chair. Lovely room.

lolainlasvegas thanked happyleg
  • Alice Edwards

Lola your place looks so nice with the new coffee table. Sorry that I’m not any help on the fabric for the chairs. I like prints too! I’m really happy you are feeling better. Have you been able to take any walks or are you with cold winter there as well?

lolainlasvegas thanked Alice Edwards
  • lolainlasvegas

Happy, that piece hung per Flo’s direction. Doesnt bother me right now but appreciate input.

Thanks Alice. No No, no exercise yet but it is starting to warm a bit.

Btw, i shared yesterday on dsimbers thread. Falling for Figaro, Netflix.

Sweet movie. Scotland Scotland, opera opera. maybe check it out.

Pretty sure that nobody liking my quilt. Thats ok. I love it.

Thanks guys❤️

• happyleg

The quilt looks cozy & blends with chair.

lolainlasvegas thanked happyleg
  • Alice Edwards

The quilt might look good on the white recliner if you keep the other chair without. Those colors look good together from here 💗

• glschisler

I like the pillow in the recliner. Is the floor lamp necessary since you have the lamp on the table? I would remove it. As for the quilt, does it serve a purpose in that room? I suggest folding it and draping it over the back of chair or sofa where it is used. I do remove the items on the mantle, and lower the picture 6 inches. What fabric do you plan to recover the chair?

lolainlasvegas thanked glschisler
  • Alice Edwards

I second the notion of no floor lamp. Your quilt looks like a nice pair with the table lamp.

• Alice Edwards

I like quilt on white recliner, seems to blend with other recliner and table lamp?

lolainlasvegas thanked Alice Edwards
  • Molly

Here you go Lola.

lolainlasvegas thanked Molly
  • lolainlasvegas

Thanks Alice. If pic easy to do, will get some better pics and ask again. This is really helpful for me. ❤️

Thanks guys. Yes Yes, I may end up just folding and draping quilt over recliner. In the olden day (ha ha) upholstered chairs and couches came with arm protectors. My Eskimo likes to sit on the arm all day next to me. Good thing I got white! No other good option though. I was rushed and frazzled when I made that decision. oh well. I can order fabric from Lazy Boy and find someone to make them. yes yes, might do that. Heard back from first upholsterer I contacted. They do not do slip covers. I am not in a frenzy about this like when I did couch so I might actually enjoy figuring this out. Will continue conversation. Regarding lamp; Fred brought this with him I think. Maybe move to breakfast nook. I am just used to it. Appreciate your observations. ❤️

• lolainlasvegas

Ohhh! Thanks Molly❤️

• liasch

Yes… The floor lamp with the black shade is the first thing that jumped out at me. The high contrast means it becomes a focal point and I would move it. I like the quilt because it goes nicely with the elephant print fabric. I’m not quite sure what the best way is to use it. I agree the two chairs could relate together better. Recovering the chair on the left with some thing is a good option but I don’t think the quilt solves the problem as a cover. I would go for a pattern with some of the elephant gray blue and some white in it may be in a large throw? I like the two lumbar pillows on the chairs with the elephant pattern that helps.

• liasch

I think with some very minor changes this could pull together fairly easily on that wall with the two chairs.

• liasch

The quilt seems to be the right direction but it’s a bit too thick and doesn’t drape very well with the chair. Maybe a throw to cover the chair on the left and then fold the quilt on the recliner? Then two elephant pillows. I think a throw with some texture and a bit of an ethnic vibe could work well with the elephants. It needs to be big enough to cover the arms of the chair however.

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • ladma

Lola, I have some hand towels that blend with my couch and chairs, I use them as arm protectors. They’re not pretty, but they come off when company comes.

lolainlasvegas thanked ladma
  • lolainlasvegas

You are so right on all counts liasch and ladma! ❤️ I am happy that you appreciate how the quilts print relates to the elephant print.. My Sister in Boho, ha ha. I need to shop for throws. I DO use hand towels, should get some that match. Big Duh! ❤️

• liasch

Haha, Lola…so true. After I posted those throws for you, I started thinking about maybe one of them would look good in my house…🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

• liasch

The hand towel idea is brilliant. I’ve got a couple places in the house where the cat sleeps, and it would simplify hair removal.

• ladma

I have no pets, the towels are for a messy husband!

• glschisler

I use the hand towels too. I have one on the arm of the sofa where I am always sitting. OH uses 2. One behind his head, the other on the arm rest of his recliner. They are removed when we have guests. 😉

• liasch

Evening shenanigans 🥰

• pat1250

Don’t you just love a good kitty-rolling-stretch? Made me smile……wish I could do that!

• btydrvn

I do…do that..and more….every nite on the floor… for my stretches …before bed..i read that stretching helps to build up the natural padding between the bones where they connect…my bones can use all the help they can get!

Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!