Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolainlasvegas

Can someone help me tone down too formal living room with poor layout?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We’ve been accumulating things in small house for 25 yrs. since retirement and quarantine, I’m more obsessed with dissatisfaction with this room. Too much furniture, not welcoming. Need edit, maybe reupholstery. Art work important, authentic with history for me but maybe makes things too formal. Open to any thoughts and suggestions. My taste has never been traditional, but here I am. Help me change the vibe please. I am going to try to post pics. Thank you.

Photos · More Info

Comments (9.4K)

• last month

Liasch, thanks thanks. I think I like the black and gold frame. Hoping I am not going too matchy matchy with these pieces. But But, I LOVE them. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Happy, to answer your question; the pictured piece is an abstract of city in Tunisia that Klee and two other artists visited in 1914. It is said that that was when Klee became inspired to use color in his work.. Love reading background history. Here is pic of the larger one

• last month

oh yes, it turned out so nice! love it thanks! :)

lolainlasvegas thanked justcallmepool
  • last month

So fun picking things for outdoors.

Here is the other piece. View of Kairunan

• last month

These are going to go outside? I thought they were going in your kitchen. Your outside area is lovely. Now I want to come and sit and have drinks by your pool…🥂

lolainlasvegas thanked liasch
  • last month

Oh no! Was talking to pool about choosing pillow fabrics. Pay attention!❤️

• last month

I realized after I posted that that you were probably talking about the fabrics and the look of the outside. But on my phone App you can’t delete anything without going and logging into the browser which is a nuisance. So I get to just look clueless here.🤪😂

• last month

Lol Lia, that was my line 😂

lolainlasvegas thanked Alice Edwards
  • 20 days ago

So, finally finally, prints are framed. Had to order the big one X3 due to Michaels mismeasuring and then not ordering replacement frame after we went in and chose something else. Back to original frame choice which they expedited because I got a bit upset. Anyway Anyway., Big Issue hanging so high over cabinets. Fred actually on board and is going to make some paper patterns so we can achieve proper placement.

• 20 days ago

So, here is the wall. Going to be much color on a very colorless side of room. In back of mind, thinking might look great in bedroom. BUT BUT, also thinking this will be good. Thoughts Thoughts. This is the most matchy matchy I have ever done but I LOVE them. Thanks again liasch for suggestion.❤️

• 20 days ago

Framing looks great on those pieces 💗 I’m kind of a matchy matchy person, I think they will look marvelous!

• 20 days ago

I’ve been thinking of a framed “something” for our kitchen above the cabinets. My wrought iron owl is up there only temporarily just bc I needed a place to keep it, but it’s too big anyway, which I knew, but another project for later on.

• 20 days ago

I think it’s going to look fabulous up there. Particularly since they are long distance vistas. If they were close up it would be a different story but looking off into the distance like that it will be like looking through windows with Paul Klee’s eyes. I’m excited to see it but I hope 0H doesn’t take any risks hanging things up there. Hire somebody to do it if necessary.

• PRO
    20 days ago

Oh! Your dedication paid off!! So nice. They look great!! I worry a bit about grease plating T on them above cabinets? Do you have non glare glass on them?

lolainlasvegas thanked Flo Mangan
  • 20 days ago

Hey, thanks you guys for kind words and support❤️ I think this is giving me a little lift during this Heat Dome challenge. Expecting continued 118 degree days through much of next week. Cools off to 90-100 after midnight. oh well. Yes Yes, we might end up having handy man do the hanging and there will be grease over time. I DO like the frames I chose but may have goofed on the cropping . I just went with the Artist’s border. I wont be worrying about that though. Alice Alice, yes yes, hang some Art!

• PRO
    19 days ago

Lola. I can imagine that heat dry or not! Ugh. We are battened down for Tropical/Hurricane conditions tonight and into tomorrow. Hoping it moves fast! That minimizes total rainfall. Water and flooding is main concern during and after these storms! We have been through many worse storms so hoping this is baby storm! Pretty sure this new house is better built than previous one so fingers crossed!

• 19 days ago

Afte4 hurricane Sally 4 yrs ago, and how it gained strength just before landfall, I am so weary of these storms. Stay safe!

Lola, I love the prints! I am so happy for you! And of course your patio is lovely!

lolainlasvegas thanked glschisler
  • 19 days ago

Thanks glischler. Yes Yes, we have really enjoed the daybed out there.

Flo, I have been thinking of you and the hurricane. Old Hat to you, huh huh?

Be careful anyway. And YES, it is HOT! ❤️

• PRO
    19 days ago

Oh yes. We never take any storm for granted. Been quieter tonight so far than I expected. Should spin up around midnight. Ugh!

• 18 days ago

I have no exhaust fan, low ceiling, and minimal grease issues. I think it depends on what you cook? Open shelves with things stored high, isn't an issue. You likely have an exhaust fan, too. Dust is more of an issue on glass, here.

Love your poolside spot. I would be out there all day reading and snacking...do you have AC for heat?

• 18 days ago

Thinking about you Flo… Please do a check in and let us know you are OK as soon as you can.

• 18 days ago

Yes Flo, please check in. ❤️ 120 degrees here.

• 18 days ago

Yes….please keep us informed about unbearble heat or hurricane backlashes. we worry bout Y’all.

lolainlasvegas thanked pat1250
  • 17 days ago

Someone commented on another thread that she’s all right but does not have power. This is her location at the blue dot.

• 17 days ago
    1. 😵‍💫😢
  • 17 days ago

Thanks liasc. Ive been wondering. 60degrees sounds pretty good. Pool ok too. ❤️

• 16 days ago

DD reported that Flo is OK but has no Internet and electricity cell phone etc. etc.

• 16 days ago

I cannot imagine being without power. I would have to have aBig Ole Generator if I lived in Tx. Temp down to 118 today. Pretty HOT and no relief at night either I have had to resort to baring my VERY flabby arms. Poor Fred. I have found some chiffon kimonos on Amgazon though that feel like nothing. Covers down to elbow. Looks ok over camisol. Cannot bear wearing a bra. .

Fred has cut templates for the Art much to my surprise. I have ordered some different hangers that are like heavy duty thumb tacs. Thinking they will be better with the spot being so hard to reach. ❤️🤞

• 15 days ago

We are having heat plus humidity 🥵 but your heat is ridiculous Lola! 😳

Looking forward to your hung artwork!😊

• 14 days ago

Lola, The chiffon kimono sound good. I can’t wear anything that’s not viscose or cotton in the summer for the most part. Fortunately it’s just me here and when I go out I have lightweight shawls or scarves if I want to be more discreet. At 118 he should consider himself lucky that you’re not just running around buck nekkid lol.

• 14 days ago

It’s cooled down here but supposed to jack back up again. Currently 70° but overcast and with the fog and wind off the ocean water it’s chilly. Her Majesty is lounging on her loveseat this morning. Usually I go out there and have tea but not today. Working on cleaning up the front room studio area.

• PRO
    14 days ago

Hi Lola and gang! We got power etc back at about 5 pm. We had given up for today. Morning news was it would be down til Sunday. So we were kind of shocked when lights came on at 5 pm today! Er very happy though. We managed and have a couple additional things we plan to add to our emergency kit. But we are reassessing to see what we need! Love your temps. Took a couple hours to get house back to our living temps and humidity. We found the humidity was most bothersome. We got kind of lucky on weather because storms came through and cooled things to 80. But humidity was still 80%. Anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do but sure happy to be back with y’all! We drove around the community a bit late today and OMG. So much severe tree damage. Rita and Harvey did a lot of terrible tree damage but those were worse rated storms. So a lot of clean up going on. We had 2 young boys maybe 11-12 come by and asked if they could get debris racked up from street curbs for $15. We said yes, but could you do whole yard for us for $50. Then leaped at that. They worked hard in that heat and humidity for over an hour. Tree limbs and leafs and branches were everywhere. We kept them supplied with bottled water. Then gave them additional $20 to reinforce the work ethic they displayed. They were jumping with joy! Their Mom was keeping tabs on them but she can be very proud and I think they learned a valuable lesson! They were still at it after dark! They cleaned up most of the neighborhood! So beautiful to see. Never saw them on cell phone! We had no service so they found out what they could gain from working! Need more of that to get these kids off social media!! Just thought you would enjoy that story. Renews my faith in the future!

• 14 days ago

Wow Flo, what a terrific blessing for everyone! I imagine they had their work cut out for them with all the debris! Good for these young boys to help and you being so generous, such a good story. Sounds like a couple of smart hard working young men in the upcoming! Soooo glad to see you back here 💗

• 13 days ago

Welcome back, Flo! Glad you made it thru without too much damage. Those boys worked hard, you were generous to encourage them!

lolainlasvegas thanked ladma
  • 13 days ago

Great to see some young entrepreneurs helping out neighbors and you supporting their efforts❣️

lolainlasvegas thanked Molly
  • 13 days ago

Welcome back Flo ! You are so lucky those young boys did all that physical labor for you. Especially in this heat and humidity!

lolainlasvegas thanked glschisler
  • 13 days ago

Oh Flo, you have been on my mind!❤️ Been reading about what a mess it is in Houston. Thanks for checking in and having DD check in. I cannot even imagine being without power. Great happening with the kids. Thats how things were in my younger daysk.

Thanks for Mooz Pic Liasch. miss her. Regarding kimona, it is amazing how cool it is not being cotton. Guess its the sheerness. Glischler Glischler, now we have humidity.

Thanks everyone for visiting❤️

• 13 days ago

The Unsinkable Mangan Flo❤️

• PRO
    13 days ago

Too cute!

• 13 days ago

Great job encouraging those boys! Nothing like having some young muscles to get things done.

• 3 days ago

Happy Birthday, Lola! 🎈💐🥰🎁🎂👩‍❤️‍👨

lolainlasvegas thanked dsimber
  • 3 days ago

Yes, Happy Birthday!

• 3 days ago

Happy birthday! 🎉🎂 Hope it’s cooled off a bit for you!

lolainlasvegas thanked Molly
  • 3 days ago

Happy Birthday Lola! Hope you’re having a great day in celebration 💗

• 3 days ago

Thanks guysyes❤️ So nice of you to remember dsimber. I know you are busy and travelling. Not sure the meaning of The Mooze’s hindquarters are liasch. But I will take it. weather very bad. Pretty much whole month of 110+ degrees degrees. Now we are getting thunder storms every night which has brought humidity. No end in site.

Celebrating tomorrow with my work buddies. Friends for forty years. Always fun to be with people who really know you. And accept anyway. Go figure. I am very lucky. We get together for everyone’s birthays and then some. perfect philosophical Hen Sessions. We never talk about News because we all are coming from same place (Never Trumpers) and talking about any of it is too upsetting. Sorry Sorry. Sometimes I gotta let out just a little.

Not trying to start an argument.. I have just been effectively gagged since 2016. Hard for me. So So, I was born 72 years ago but haaave only lived 71 years. Just realizing that. Duh Duh! Christie Brinkley said 70 is the new 40. Never thought I would be this old.

OK, rambling. Thanks again guys. Pray for cool down. ❤️

• 3 days ago

Well you’ve only just begun! 💗 enjoy your hen session, I know you’ll all have a wonderful time 💕 yes, praying for a cool down!

• 2 days ago

Happy birthday!

• 2 days ago

Haha Lola…Her silly feet are a personal favourite so just sharing the good stuff…😸😂. I’ll send you a birthday email and actual card, but you won’t get it for a couple of weeks.

• 2 days ago

Happy (belated) Birthday, Lola!

I hope you had a great day and continue it into a full year of good times. 70 is the new 40, huh?

Ao I'm in my 20's! haha sure doesn't feel the same the second time lol

• 2 days ago

Happy birthday!

• 2 days ago

Happy Belated Birthday Lola! I believe in celebrating for at least a week!😆🎉🎈🎂🎁