Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_cotter

Please help with wall sconce for two story entry way

9 months ago

We have replaced our two story foyer chandelier with a bronze open framed fixture (first picture). We are now looking to replace the dated brass & glass sconces that are on each side of the inside front door. I am looking for suggestions on how to coordinate without exactly matching. There is no other lighting to have to coordinate in this space. I would provide more pictures but we are having the foyer painted by contractors at the moment...SW Repose Gray. (you will also see a picture hanger underneath the current sconce. There was a picture underneath that may or may not be replaced. I am not sure what I want there). Thanks in advance!

Thank you!

Comments (23)

• 9 months ago

Do you need sconces there? If not, I might just remove those and patch the wall.

• 9 months ago

If someone comes to the door at night, we likely would not use the chandelier for lighting. It is up high and there are six 60 watt bulbs. I would like the sconces for additional lighting.

• 9 months ago

Ok. It’s hard to know without seeing the whole entry. I meant to ask in my other post if you’d have a table or tables with a lamp(s).

• 9 months ago

take a look

it's called Kempinski from Wayfair... I always look for up/down lighting whenever possible. sleek and functional. good luck with your search.

• 9 months ago

Yes I do. I wish I had good before photos of the space. I will try to post more this sfternoon

• 9 months ago

Without seeing a picture of the entire foyer it will be difficult to give suggestions. I do have a question though about the current height of the sconces…they seem very high and to my eye I’m not sure you would want to replace them with another at that height. Again too hard to tell without better photos. Wait until the painters are done and submit better photos.

• 9 months ago

Some screen shots taken from a video that I recorded a few months back. Although it’s two story, the foyer is actually small. Directly across from the door is a wall that I have a narrow console unit with a mirror. It has a small lamp we use as a night light. To the left of the table is a small hallway leading to the main area of the house. To the left of the hall is the stair case to the 2nd floor.

• PRO
    9 months ago

Any of these fixture in bronze could work for the space.

• 9 months ago

I like those Beverly! Very partial to the fabric shades. Thank you!

• PRO
    9 months ago

Translucent shades will provide a space with better ambient light.

Your chandelier with the candelabra bulbs is mostly decorative, so the wall sconces are important.

• 9 months ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner -- do you think that I should be concerned about looking up at the fixture with the open shade? I am really leaning towards the styles that you suggested but that is my only hesitation.

• 9 months ago

Sheriff821 have you ever considered bringing in an electrician to lower the electrical box for the sconce? The current ones look very high and may limit your choices. I feel sconces should be somewhat at eye level and yours current,y seem way above ones head in the photos. Just a thought

• 9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Anna -- I know what you mean...I am limited to what I can do with the fixture. We placed them higher because it is 2 stories and if we wanted to put pictures below the light. Even though I am not going to put pictures there again, I still can't move them down and therefore looking at fixtures with an arm.

• PRO
    9 months ago

IMO a light that lights the ceiling in a 2 storey entry is pretty useless so I would look for a much larger longer fixture for that entry then think about the need for sconces . The sconces are also lighting the ceiling all wrong IMO I agree if you want the sconces get the electrical lowered and do ones that actually light the space at least choose ones that light the space now so something long and with light both up and down.

• 9 months ago

I can see what you mean about looking up and seeing bulbs. Maybe you can find something similar but with a closed shade or globe. Here are a smattering to consider...

Designers Impressions Juno Collection Wall Sconce, 1-Light, Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

Celeste 1-Light Wall Mount, Oiled Bronze · More Info

Lancaster 1-Light Wall Mount, Oiled Bronze · More Info

Essentials 1-Light Wall Sconce, Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

Quorum LED 5" Oiled Bronze Wall Sconce · More Info

Arden LED Wall Sconce, Oil-Rubbed Bronze · More Info

Quorum 5202-86 Two Light Wall Sconce, Oiled Bronze Finish · More Info

Rossington 1-Light Wall Mount, Oiled Bronze · More Info

(would face this one down)

Millennium Lighting Milan 1 Light Sconce, Rubbed Bronze/Clear · More Info

Design House 505115 8" Tall Wall Sconce - Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

Jardin Wall Mount in Oiled Bronze W/ Clear/Seeded · More Info

• 9 months ago

I think your main source of light will come from the chandelier. Secondary lighting will be table lamp and sconces. You will need to make a decision if you want sconces or artwork/pictures in that spot. The sconces where they are now are limiting your choices if you want to replace them and they appear to wash the wall above with light more than light the entry. I know change is often hard but I feel lowering the sconces and having just the sconces flanking the door would fill the space nicely.

• PRO
    9 months ago

We have no idea how large your foyer might be. This lantern is only 18 inches square. Not very big overall.

I would consider using the tubular candelabra bulb instead of the flame tip.

• 9 months ago

Beverly, the depth of the foyer from front door to wall is only 4-1/2" feet. I like your idea of the tubular bulbs though. That may add some interest. In the meantime, I am thinking now of buying sconces that hang downward. That will lower the light source and possibly solve my issue without rewiring.

The last light with the seeded glass is from the same line that I have in my dining area (in another room)...except this one is tubular and not round.

• PRO
    9 months ago

We haven't seen how the foyer appears in total to know if the sconce lights need to aim the light up or down. so far we've seen the rugs.

I can't believe you think any of these fixtures complements your chandelier selection.

stand back and take a vertical picture of where the new lantern will be place along with the new sconces

• 9 months ago

I’m not sure if I should be still posting but I asked for help so I am going to do one last try. My foyer is so hard to photograph because it is not very deep. As said before, the space between the front door and the wall is about 4-1/2 feet. Therefore, the light is only visible from the outside front or if you look directly up when you pass through. There is really no good side angle. (Please note that it is currently hooked up to be out of the way for painting…it is not in its correct position). I measured this morning and the center of the electrical boxes for the sconces is 90” from the floor. The space between the door and the adjacent walls is roughly 33”. I would love to find a nice solution that does not require moving the electrical boxes. That is my challenge.

• 9 months ago

Ps…while taking these pictures, I’m standing on about the third or fourth step leading up to the second floor

• 9 months ago

I guess since you seem to feel having a picture on the wall is important to you maybe you should look into picture lights. i still think they will be too high and really won’t add much light but may be a logical solution as none of the sconces you’ve shown work with the chandelier and look more like bathroom lights.

TeeCee84 thanked Anna Devane