Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_walker65

base corner cabinet trash/recyclin

Lisa Walker
19 days ago

I am considering a corner base cabinet lazy Susan for recycling/trash in our kitchen remodel. We have a very small U-shaped kitchen and little room for a pull out trash can. Does anyone have experience with one of these contraptions? Trigger warning: it’s a dated and ugly picture!

Comments (15)

• AnnKH
    19 days ago

I've only had one can for trash, one for recycling - what would the third can be used for? I agree with Minardi - that contraption is a colossal waste of space.

If you get a single sink with an offset drain, you can put trash/recycle under the sink.

• Lisa Walker
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Here’s the layout we are working with.

• Lisa Walker
    Original Author
    18 days ago

There’s another wall across from the sink that will be used for pantry storage.

• Lisa Walker
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Here’s a visual.

• PRO
    Zumi
    18 days ago

Move the range down away from that corner so a super susan will actually work. Get a 15” trash in between the super susan and the range. Maybe a 9” tray base as well. Then you will prep right over the trash. And have a lot more room to do it.

• AnnKH
    18 days ago

I have a few suggestions - I had a kitchen about the same size, so I know every inch counts!

First, why such a big range? It seems out of proportion to a kitchen this size.

What are your plans for the 15" cabinet next to the sink? That seems a perfect place for trash/recycle.

One of the big things in a U-shaped kitchen is how to deal with the corners. A super susan is about the most efficient. In your other corner, I'm not sure it's worth trying to access the corner - you get far better storage using drawers in that space - just make sure you have clearance for the drawers and DW to open (watch the DW handles and drawer pulls).

You have lovely high ceilings, so you can get taller uppers. Get an extra shelf for each upper - arranging things by height means you can store a LOT more in the cabinets, without wasted space between shelves.

On the fridge side, instead of a pullout, it might be more efficient if you have cabinets opening toward the side.

On the wall opposite the sink, are you sure you want to have cabinets to the counter?

• Susan L
    18 days ago

I have almost that exact layout. 15” trash to the left of sink - works great. Those weird bifold corner doors are super annoying for something you use all the time like trash.

• Louie
    18 days ago

Your range is too large and way too close to the corner.

• theresa21
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

The wall sconces or pendants might interfere with opening the corner wall cabinets. I would continue the upper cabinetry around the corners onto the window wall, so that the uppers are more accessible in those corners, rather than to have the uppers dead-end into the corners.

• Buehl
    17 days ago

This would be more functional with minimal changes.

On the wall across from the sink...

• Instead of taking up useful counterspace, install the upper cabs 18" from the counter (or 19" if you plan 1" light rail, which I recommend) and create a "Tea/Coffee & Snack Center" so someone looking for a snack, using the MW, or making a cup of tea/pot of coffee won't get in the way of others cooking/prepping. The main part of the Kitchen is small, so the less traffic, the better.
    • Then, instead of wide/deep pantry cabinets where things can easily get lost, install 12" & 18" wide tall pullout pantry cabinets. They're much more functional for pantry storage.
    • Unless you have a place for your broom, etc., elsewhere, I would make one of the 12" ones a Utility cab instead of a pantry cab.
    • Why narrower pantry cabinets? 24"D Pantry cabinets wider than 18" are not as useful and are difficult to use above around chest high. With the deep width + depth, things will get lost, especially above the chest. You will be rooting around looking for things in the depths and have to move things around to get to the items in the middle and back probably on a step stool. Instead, install the tall pullout pantry cabs - the shelves are attached to the doors and pull out when you open the doors. You can then see everything without moving things around by looking first on one side and then the other. [Note that with the (expensive) swing outs in wider cabinets, you lose a lot of space from the hardware & various shelves/walls needed to create the swing out.]

Refrigerator Wall...

• To maximize workspace and cabinet space where they're needed most, I would not put a pantry cabinet on the other side of the refrigerator. That space is much more useful as cabinet + counter -- see the layout for what I mean.
    • With the DW so close to the corner, you would ideally install at least one drawer base or cabinet that can be opened when the DW is open.
    • Note that I put a 15" W drawer base b/w the refrigerator & DW door for your silverware. Split the silverware b/w two drawers and you will have more room than in a 24" single drawer. My mom has done this -- she has the knives, dinner forks, & soup spoons in one drawer and the teaspoons, serving spoons, & salad forks in the other drawer. It works great.
    • The bottom half can hold trays and/or cutting boards.

Corners...

• One is a corner susan for your pots & pans. I had one in my old Kitchen that held all my pots & pans + colanders + oversize serving dishes. (Cookie sheets & metal, rectangular casserole dishes were in the drawer under the oven in my range.) Corner susans are also useful for small appliance storage. In both cases (pots/pans & small appliances), it's nice that you just have to rotate the shelves and whatever you need is right in front of you and easy to retrieve.
    • The other corner is voided to give you much more useful cabinetry on the right wall. Blind corner cabinets, IMHO, are the worst use of a corner. The ease of use & extra/more useful space of drawer bases more than make up for the voided corner. Blind corners with (expensive) swingouts can be a problem if anything falls off the swingout inside the cab - you cannot close the swingout or the cabinet without retrieving the item first (assuming you can get to it). My KD half-jokingly said you'd need to send a small child into the cabinet to retrieve anything that fell off b/c the space is so small/tight. Corner susans, OTOH, usually have walls that closely follow the rounded contour of the shelves so nothing can fall off.

Range & Sink Walls...

• The space b/w the sink and range is arguably the most important workspace, it's your Prep Zone. In your original layout, there's not much room for prepping. You should have at least 36" of continuous/straight workspace for the Prep Zone adjacent to a water source. (42" to 48" is much better.) While you cannot get 36" of workspace next to the sink in a "U", you can get it close on the left wall b/w the corner & range if you move the range and downsize it.
    • Instead, get a 30" range and move the range down so there's more room for prepping. That space + the bit of space b/w the sink & corner will be primary workspace, so maximize it!

Upper Cabinets...

• With the exception of against the window wall, upper cabs that are against something deeper than them (e.g., refrigerator, rangehood, pantry cabinet, a deeper upper cabinet), ask for extended stiles on the sides that abut against the deeper item rather than using filler.
    • I would put in filler at the ends where the cabinets die into the window wall to ensure doors will open without hitting the walls. I show 3" of filler in those places. You might be able to get away with a bit less, but make sure you aren't hitting the walls.

WORK ZONES:

• Lisa Walker
    Original Author
    17 days ago

You people are amazing!!! I’m going to pour through each one of these suggestions. Thank you!!!!

• Lisa Walker
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Buehl - I showed your design/comments to my husband and he couldn’t believe the quality of advice we are getting for “free”. I so appreciate your insight. Thank you!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    15 days ago

The trash cabinet will need frequent cleaning, and it might be hard to clean that hinged door.

• Buehl
    15 days ago

You're welcome Lisa!