Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopping_mammag

Large curb planter box help needed!

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

My husband built these planter boxes last fall and wants me to fill them. As much as I love arranging flowers, I’m not a gardener. They are west facing so they get the afternoon hot sun and we are in zone seven. I am fine with a mix of perennial and annual‘s. I tend to like combos of white, pink and purple. I would love any suggestions.

i should add-this and one other flower bed will be most of the yards color as our yard has a lot of bushes and trees

Comments (25)

• 2 months ago

The planters are really pretty & a nice addition to the front scape of your home! Zone 7 covers a huge geographic area so please give us your nearest large city so realistic suggestions can be made. Also tell us the dimension of each box - width/height/depth. Any irrigation there or will it need to be hand watered? Also, what’s in the rest of that boulevard length in front of your home? Wondering if you have other plants we can’t see besides the tree on right. And, what kind of tree is that? Curious about root competition.

Shopping mamma G thanked KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    2 months ago

Some inspiration:

Paleface Ranch · More Info

Courtyard · More Info

• 2 months ago

Are there any municipality or HOA restrictions or conditions?

Shopping mamma G thanked beesneeds
  • 2 months ago

Not really

• 2 months ago

I added info on area to my post. Thank you ❤️

• 2 months ago

Shopping mamma - Your area”zone 7” was already listed in original post. I see your post was modified but don’t see any new info - or info that answers questions asked.

• 2 months ago

Globe amaranth (gomphrena) loves heat & sun and is available in a pink, white, purple mix. I grew it in north central and western Oklahoma during grueling 100+ heat. It thrived and wasn't bothered by insects.

Easily started from seed, can used as a dried flower. Save a few blooms for seed for next year.

Shopping mamma G thanked ci_lantro
  • 2 months ago

Agree on the recommendation to finish the 4th side of each before planting.

Shopping mamma G thanked Jenn-z9b-AZ
  • 2 months ago

I like the combination of lavender, cone flower, and zagreb coreopsis. Coreopsis is the one plant of mine that is unfazed by hot sun.

Shopping mamma G thanked Eileen
  • 2 months ago

Shorter canna lilies group together for each side would look nice. They love water but can take the heat.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I pull up at curbside........

What is the plan for the soil area around these? Who mows the area around these ? A grounds crew or you?

I like color nearer the house entry. You will hate my answer. Take them out. Give me a non muddy/mushy surface, no ankle biting edges, or give me grass at which to access front walk to your door. Apologies, as I'm sure he worked very hard on them. I don't think you need them, despite every passing dog on a leash, will absolutely adore them: )

The landscaping closer to you home is lovely despite we can't see full front of the house. Put the color there.

• 2 months ago

The more important question is, as mentioned above, what will be planted around the boxes and who will maintain them.

• 2 months ago

(Wondering if city might ask they be removed eventually, if not your property/could hamper gas or sewer line repairs also, but you probably looked into.)

Since you mentioned you are not a gardener, hot afternoon sun/watering, etc…a nursery could provide advice specific to your needs and thought this article might help.

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/easy/15-no-fuss-garden-plans/?utm_campaign=bhg_6297d5e2a3c5480001717e14&utm_content=textoverlay&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_term=202206
    If it were me, I’d opt for low maintenance.

• 2 months ago

They look nice, but are they in the way of people parking next to the curb and getting in/out of vehicles?

• 2 months ago

I don't think they impede passage much. The path is several feet wide and there is room to step out of a car. You do need larger flagstones between them.

The boxes are there so let's find something to plant in them! You could plant evergreen small shrubs in both planters and use bulbs and low-growing annuals to edge the boxes. That would give you spring and summer color.

Will you remove the tulips? They'll be a problem with growing summer flowers. The foliage doesn't die back until late spring/early summer. A better choice for spring bulbs is crocus and dwarf daffodils. The foliage is grass-like and fades a little faster.

• 2 months ago

I don’t see how tulips would be a problem for summer-bloomers. Just plant your new stuff right beside/around/among the tulips. The new stuff will hide the dying tulip leaves. Same thing I do for all bulbs (daffodils, hyacinths, allium, etc).

• 2 months ago

If she wants to fill it with perennials but I wouldn't. The home and existing landscaping look formal and manicured, I think she needs an evergreen for winter. I didn't like the messy look of my tulip foliage hanging around into June when all the pretty summer perennials are emerging, so I've taken out most of my tulips.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I cannot see any town allowing those on their property and no clue as to the open sides at all.

• 2 months ago

Whether the OP is allowed to have those planters in the location near the curb depends upon where the house is located. There are different laws related to whether the property owner owns the land or not. In some areas, property owners own the land to the middle of the right of way. In other areas, the city/county may own the land - yet still require the owner to maintain it.

If the OP owns the land, there will most likely be an easement for use of it for utilities/etc.

Some easements prohibit structures (permanent or temporary) from being located within the easement. However, other easements allow certain types of improvements to be located within the easement.

We don’t know where OP lives - so, even an attorney cannot determine whether OP’s planters are allowed or not - much less non-attorneys on Houzz.

• 2 months ago

Why is it any of our business? She's only asking for plant suggestions.

I wish people didn't cross-post to Design Dilemma.

• PRO
    2 months ago

" The DH want's them planted".............

In that case? Use something that remains green all year, or plant seasonally.

I think all anyone is saying ? The three side concept is awkward. They need grass or other around them. The passing dog WILL lift a leg on any floral within. : )

Translated? Rather an upkeep pain, when close to the house is far easier, despite trees and bushes in most of the yard we aren't seeing - full front of the house from near it or further back.

• 2 months ago

She was smart not to show the rest of the house. Can you imagine the comments? Design Dilemmas would probably want her to paint the house, take off the shutters, and replace the front door and the porch.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I doubt that, as the little we can see, looks quite LOVELY!!!

• 2 months ago

The OP has already said the municipality does not really have restrictions about it. I'm not sure why some folks are assuming there may be issues instead of taking the OP's word for it.