Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolynn_strunk

Opinions on this Taj Mahal slab?

2 months ago

We are renovating will be using Taj Mahal quartzite on the counters, island and backsplash. We are struggling to find enough Taj in the sizes we need, but our fabricator sent this pic of an available lot.

I just can’t decide if I like this slab. It has less veining and a different pattern and color than all the other Taj’s I’ve seen. I would love any opinions! Yes, we will go see it in person as soon as possible. Cabinets will be off white and floors are natural red oak. Thank you!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    2 months ago

Way too gray.

• 2 months ago

for me, less veining is a plus if you plant to use it for backsplash and countertops.

Does your room have a lot of natural light? with white cabinets, the gray may not seem as gray/drab. ... take your cabinet door with you when you check it out.

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Less grain is easier to integrate the backsplash and counter transition. Less dramatic, though. European oak engineered flooring is paler than red or white oak. Different species with less open grain.

• 2 months ago

I prefer less grain also, more soothing to me... especially since you are doing the backsplash in it also. The color is key, agree being you cabinet, but even more importantly, a piece of the floor.
    I did a 6" backsplash in my marble, love it, enough to see my beautiful stone vertically but not overwhelming.
    You need to love the slab!

• 2 months ago

It all depends on the cabinet and floor color, may be too gray or may be just right.

• 2 months ago

I can’t really tell if it’s too gray or not. But I love that it has less veining and movement. I am probably rejecting Taj Mahal for my kitchen, even though I love it, because it won’t go with my floors. This slab could work for me.

• 2 months ago

I would buy that slab. Taj Mahal is hard to photograph. I would bet money that in person that slab is a warm white and light beige, and not gray at all.

• last month

Looks good to me! I have it in two bathrooms in our primary residence and in the kitchen in our beach house. Each is slightly different but they’re all neutral and versatile. The slab in the picture you posted is quite nice - go for it!

• last month

Have you tried it with the off-white cabinet color, and the flooring? The image seems too cool to go well with those elements. Beware of the cool/warm tone dilemma many have posted about on this forum!!

Personally, I love that it has less veining.

• PRO
    last month

The reduced veining is a plus. The fact that the onine picture shows cool gray rather than warm beige is a negative. You have to take actual pictures of the slab in the sunlight, with your cabinets. Even then, pictures will lie. Your lighting will shift the color too. So beware.

• last month

I will be ecstatic if the next shipment of Taj at our stone yard has something like this!!

• last month

There seem to be lighter slabs of Taj Mahal showing up lately. For a couple of years most of the slabs were darker and had repetitive striped veins. Never liked those slabs as much as the lighter swirly ones.

• last month

I also like the lighter swirly Taj slabs more than than the darker ones with repetitive striped veins. You just need to take your door sample when you see the slabs in person. If they have a sample of a similarly colored slab, you will then be able to take it home in order to see how it works with your red oak floors (assuming that the red oak floors are already installed).

• last month

classic looking, claim it before someone else does

• last month

I like it.. It's going to be yummy with the floors and cabinet color you describe. You are very LUCKY to have a fabricator helping you find the right slab and getting dibs before the rest of the public grabs them. I can't wait to see updated photos when you see this in person.

• PRO
    last month

It looks beautiful to me, but as you know, you need to see it in person with your cabinets and flooring. When we renovated our kitchen we had a slab on hold and didn't commit until everything else was in place. Perhaps you can do the same, to make sure it works in your space with all of your other materials.

• last month

I think it is fabulous! I have really searched to find a light colored Taj like this, I would put a deposit on it ASAP. Everything in my immediate area has been darker tones or green undertones of Taj that I didn't care for, this is gorgeous!

• last month

If you are 99% sure you are going to buy, ask the slab yard to take at least one of the slabs outside to see what the real color is. Slab warehouses have the worst lighting of any place I have ever been in! I have never had a slab yard refuse to take/move my final slab selection outside for a final confirmation. Hand them the credit card right after!

• last month

As someone else said, Taj is really hard to photograph. I find that it looks very gray when photographed compared to in person where it will look a lot more beige.

• last month

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far, it has been helpful!