Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgsd_gw

Is orange peel wall texture 'dated'?

16 years ago

We are getting the walls in the bedrooms re-textured as part of our remodel. I was planning on getting orange peel because the wall texture in the rest of the house is orange peel. It's not my favorite, but I don't hate it.

Our wall guy says he can do hand-textured for the same price, and he says that orange peel is a "downgrade" and "dated". We don't have enough money to re-texture all the other walls.

Do you agree with my wall guy? Do you think it will look bad for the wall texture in the bedrooms to not match the bathrooms, living areas, and kitchen?

If it matters, it's a 1-story house built in 1979.

Comments (13)

• 16 years ago

'Round here, it's dated-- everyone wants either smooth or a heavy hand texture.

I don't think the textures throughout your home need to match, though, so if you like the hand textured and can get there for about the same money, I'd go for it... even though orange peel may be more popular than hand textured in a few more years.

• 16 years ago

I'd NEVER choose any type of wall or ceiling texture if given a choice. Smooth walls and ceilings are more costly to finish because the work has to be more exacting. You can hide a multitude of sins behind texture---and it traps dirt and is difficult to repair to match if damaged. There are some areas of the country where it's "popular", but I'd rip every inch of it out given the chance. Smooth walls and ceilings will never go out of style.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I never realized that people actually do flat walls. That's really what I prefer, anyway, assuming the walls are straight enough.

oruboris, it's interesting that you say that orange peel may be more popular in a few years. I have actually been wondering about that myself - whether the heavy hand texture (the one that looks like plaster) will be dated in 5-10 years. I don't really like it that much anyway.

• 16 years ago

Myself, I'm getting tired of plain walls and ceilings.

Instead of fretting about what's "in", consider what's appropriate to your home's style and your taste. (And if your idea of fine dining is McDonald's, maybe time for a change.)

I'm considering lots of texture for our next very traditional home. Even if it's just smooth plaster, which isn't the same as smooth drywall. That definitely doesn't include mud swirl ceilings or popcorn anywhere.

Texturing can also be used to highlight features and change perceptions.

Lightly-textured hand accented wall finished in glaze coat highlights fireplace; the lighter colour also "draws" the wall towards the viewer, helping to square a long narrow space

• 16 years ago

I've NEVER been a fan of SMOOTH walls! ANY little wave in the framing shows.
    Our house is 11 yrs. old, and we have a light "orange-peel". I was impressed with the drywall-finish b4 the texture went up, but still wanted the texture.
    I don't mind the "slightly sandy" look of some plaster, but it traps dirt easier. Knock-down is even worse, IMO!

All-in-all, smooth walls just have no "visual appeal" to me. It's like looking at a cookie-sheet. ANY little ding can be seen a mile away too.

Faron

• 16 years ago

Worthy: beautiful paint on that wall, and copper slate to boot: modern done right, IMO...

Faron: I kind of agree-- I understand both the aesthetic and craftsmanship of dead smooth walls and ceilings, but they don't really suit my taste or style.

• 16 years ago

Granted, smooth walls are very hard to do well, and every little nick or wave in the drywall shows.

But when done well, and painted well, it's pretty amazing. And it makes the room look bigger because you lose a visual sense of where the wall actually is, especially if you use a flat finish.

I just got so tired of 11 years of that knock-down collecting so much dust and dirt.

Another alternative is that with each successive painting of your textured walls, the pattern disappears as the paint builds up. When we bought our house, I immediately painted the bedrooms and noticed a huge difference, especially since I used 2 coats. I didn't do the common areas, and you could see the ridges and plateaus much more easily.

To each his/her own.

• 16 years ago

Smooth. Timeless, never goes out of style.

IMO, if you want a textured appearence on the wall surface, do it with paint.

• 12 years ago

Regarding the mention of an Orange Peel as being dated, I would say if you have a very fine orange peel sprayed, it would look near smooth.

Many of my companies clients choose a fine orange peel, and love it.

Having different textures throughout the house -- is somewhat common. However, many clients will make it a to do list, to have rooms re textured to match as they can afford it. If you can find a company who finances, that would be another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Peel Texture

• 5 years ago

It seems that what people like or is popular at any given moment is determined by where you live. If you live in California, they like smooth walls. If you live in Florida it may be knockdown, while another part of the country a popcorn ceiling may still be popular or even orange peel walls.

To me, very smooth walls, while they look nice in certain rooms, will show every imperfection.

Orange peel, sand type texture, or popcorn ceilings in my opinion are dated.

I like the knock down appearance when it is done right. I find it does not gather dirt and hides most imperfections yet looks nice. The paint you use may make the world of difference. I use a satin type finish and if something gets on the wall it cleans up easy.

• 4 years ago

My contractor insisted on the orange peel which, to me, looks like an apartment. I'm going to have to finish the drywall myself. I hope it won't be too much work, any ideas?

• 6 months ago

Yes.. —Thin down your drywall mud with water/mix well
    —Roll a coat of your mud onto the wall and roll it out to a consistent, thin thickness
    —Use a wide taping knife and smaller knife or a specialty two handed smoothing/skimming blade like a 24" wide ‘LEVEL 5’ skimming blade, get some tips from YouTube, and make your walls look the way you think they should. It won’t be as easy as that sounds but I think it’s doable. After that you’ll need to do some minor sanding — depending on the desired outcome, and then roll it all with PVA and finally with paint. Whew! To me, and for the future of the house, it’s worth it.