ltocks

Problems with Sharp drawer microwave?

ltocks
We have had our Sharp drawer microwave for just a little over 1 year. Recently it made a loud buzzing type sound and electrical smelling smoke started coming out of the housing. Has anyone else had this happen? Sharp will not cover since it is barely out of warranty.

• aledohome

laurie5432, I've asked on these boards multiple times why "if all microwave drawers are made by Sharp, how come we only hear about Sharp drawers having issues". I've never gotten a response. I am guessing that Sharp only makes the rudimentary box and parts but the electrical, mechanical, and/or digital interface is quite different for the microwave drawers holding the other brand names. Again, is Sharp using cheaper system, parts, etc with their own drawers but the specs mandated by the other brands (wolf, viking, jenn aire, etc.) who purchase from Sharp to sell as their own dictate a different non-faulty design? It seems they are. Do a internet search with the words "microwave drawer problem" but leave the word Sharp out? You will get many many hits but all of them are about Sharp only. I would say, replace with another brand, despite Sharp making it because clearly the mechanics and parts are better quality.

• Marlo Humphrey

thanks for the info

Microwave drawer dimensions when open?

That kitchen is gorgeous thanks for sharing. Our designer has 36 inches spaced in....I'm just second-guessing everything tonight! It is a townhouse kitchen, although a fairly big townhome at around 3800 sq. feet, it's still a townhouse kitchen. Thx to all for the help.

Microwave Above The Range vs Drawer Microwave?

I love the look of a beautiful range hood, but my kitchen is small, and I don't want to use storage space for them microwave. At nearly 60 and with a husband at 66, I most definitely do not want to crouch down or bend over to get at the microwave, so that's definitely out. Also, it's probably not a good idea for my 9-year-old granddaughter and her friends to be able to open it and use it without my supervision. When I can afford to, I plan to replace the one I have with a new cabinet-depth microwave. That way, no protruding microwave!

Microwave drawer (reliability) or standard microwave

I love my Sharp MW Drawer. With my old microwave, having to lift hot food out and bring it down to stir, was always a little scary. The older I get I think it's going to get even harder. I really haven't noticed opening and closing the drawer to be bothersome. Although it is nice not hearing the kids slamming the door closed. lol Also, I love that it is hidden in the island and not a visual distraction within my upper cabinets. Good luck In my picture, you'll see the drawers sticking out at the bottom, those are my toe kick drawers which would have been just empty space.

Which one???Microwave with trim KIt or microwave drawer

HI, Shushe123, I'm asking myself the same question. I use my microwave daily but usually just for a minute at a time to rewarm a mug of tea or melt chocolate, etc. Have you found out anything more? My space is tight so I need the most compact solution.
  • Jan Maher

I have had this problem with 2 Sharp drawer microwave ovens. Sharp replaced both of them. I did see where attorneys are trying to get together a class action lawsuit because of this issue. I’d go back to Sharp and try again since this is a known issue.

I just had my new sharp microwave drawer installed. When you press the close button the drawer closers and then opens back up immediately. This makes it impossible to use. Unacceptable!

• Marlo Humphrey

I have two. one caught on fire and the other irking out if control. I cant replace again cost much just for looks now

There is a defect with the design of all microwave drawers, all made by Sharp. Ours lasted for 7 years befor the magnetron arced to the waveguide. I took it to an authoized repair shop, but once this happens the microwave cannot be repaired. If the magnetron is replaced the damaged surface of the waveguide will allow it to happen again. The waveguide is part of the steel cabinet. It is the ‘tunnel’ that the radio energy travels to the cooking compartment. Apparently, these magnetrons and waveguide geometry are not tuned properly, energy is relected back to the magnetron antenna cap(plastic) which eventually disintegrates and burns. Unsafe failure mode if you ask me. Sharp has done nothing. There is a class action lawsuit. Thinking about getting a panasonic even though the space is for a drawer microwave. I will NOT have a known unsafe appliance in our home!

• Brooke

I just called sharp after my microwave drawer manufactured in 2015 started making a weird, high pitched grinding noise and smoke started pouring out of it. It is built in to my cabinets so I could not tell if it caught the interior of the cabinet on fire. It smoked for 30 minutes and I watched with a fire extinguisher handy. The smoke smelled terrible like plastic and metal and goodness knows what. Sharp told me I am out of warranty and have to pay for the repairs myself. I have yet to get a person out here. (They only cover their product for 2 years - they must not have a lot of faith in their craftsmanship). I hope the join a class action lawsuit and told Sharp that they have a liability on their hands with a product that catches fire.

• aquinski

We used ours daily for 6 years and had been very happy with it. Some of our friends even put one in their new kitchens at our recommendation, so we'll have to alert them too. I'm hoping that they will do the right thing. I did see that there's a class action suit for this problem, but I'd rather give the company a chance to resolve this first. I have had some manufacturers stand behind their product and those are the companies that I continue to do business with.

• schorert

aquinski they will offer you a prorated replacement that will still be about 3x what this machine is worth. I use my machine about once/wk now because I know the thing has a working lifespan of about 3hrs total use.

• Lisa K

They sent out a tech to replace a part on our micro. After that “fix” didn’t work, then they sent a replacement. Tell them about this thread. It goes back years. Clearly there’s a manufacturing issue. Good luck. I'm on micro #3.

• aquinski

Bought a KB6524PS Sharp drawer, it was delivered in the Fall of 2013, installed in January 2014 as part of a kitchen renovation. Last week I was heating up a cup of tea when I smelled a terrible plastic/electrical burning smell. Called service immediately. They came out today and said that the magnetron is shorting to the stirrer blade with burn spots on the metal channel and is not replaceable. I have submitted a claim to Sharp with the required documentation: picture of model tag inside the drawer, copy of service order with recommendation and receipt of payment for service. They are claiming to have a remedy for me within 24 hours. I will update you when I hear from them. I never heard the bit about putting water in the oven when melting butter, but as this was just warming up a cup of tea, the butter issue is not applicable here. We use our microwave mostly for heating beverages and cooking/reheating vegetables.

• Lisa K

Exactly what has happened to my last THREE Sharp Drawer microwaves. For me, I now put a mug with water in the micro (people say not to do this bc you could get burned with the water) I do leave the water in the micro to cool. It’s the ONLY way i have found to avoid this issue. my First micro was replaced after I called in a panic. My second micro was replaced after I had a Sharp recommended tech come out, inspect and replace a part. Apparently, the coating comes off the magnetron and that’s what is causing the sparks. Once the issue continued, Sharp replaced the microwave a third time. This time I only melt butter with some water in the oven and I haven’t had an issue. Sharp knows about this, it’s impossible for them not to.

• ayou

We had the KB-6524PS Sharp drawer microwave installed in Fall 2013. We had never had any issues or sounds until tonight. My 13 year old daughter was melting butter and 10 seconds in the popping and smoking started. Thankfully we were all in kitchen and able to stop microwave. When we were sure there was no fire, we pulled the microwave out to unplug.The kitchen smells like burned plastic. I am horrified to know that Sharp knows this can be a problem and has not followed through with any notification or update.

• schorert

Rhonda, I would try it again while standing and watching the unit, my guess is that it's toast. The first time my microwave acted up I assumed I'd had something in there that melted. the next time I was standing right next to it as I microwaved some potatoes and thick black smoke came pouring out.

I have found absolutely no credible references to always keeping water in a microwave. sharp could not care any less about this issue.

Windsor Architectural Woodworking

Water has nothing to do with it. It's a faulty part. Mine was replaced directly by the manufacturer with their newest model (the one that you wave your hand in front of and it opens). It's been working fine without any heroics. (So far).

• dream house 2015

We keep a bowl of water in at all times. We get that noise with random things so we just keep the water in at all times. So stupid but piece of mind.

• oliveolivehouse

This is a long thread but the summary is that this is an ongoing issue with some workarounds if you pay attention to the safety issues. Please read the whole thread, especially back to Feb 2019s. If I were you, I would ask for a new replacement and hope for the best. Kind Regards!

• baileysr

Your unit is safe to use. From now on, put a cup of water in the unit when you’re melting butter and you’ll be fine. I have the same unit, had the same problem, started doing the water thing years ago and my unit has been doing fine ever since. It’s a super easy workaround.

• Rhonda Hurwitz

Tried to melt butter for 15 seconds in my sharp microwave drawer model SMD2470, manufacturing date October 2015. Heard a grinding noise, and when I opened the door smoke came out and it smelled like something was burning. Afraid it would start a fire, I stopped using it. researching what to do ... when I came across this thread on Houzz and learned many others have this issue. Will contact Sharp next, but not sure what good is a replacement unit or repair if it is a fire hazard? My questions:

- Can this unit ever be safely used again or is it “toast”?

- Like many others my kitchen renovation was designEd with this unit in mind... if I have to replace it, is there another manufacturer/ safer option that will fit the opening?

- When I contact Sharp, what does it make sense to ask for ... repair? Replace? Refund?

• Laura Grosmaire

Has anyone had problems with the doors on the Sharp MW? We have a very small, standard model (it was all that would fit in the MW cabinet/space) that we purchased ~6 months ago. The MW works fine so far, but a few days ago the door (bottom hinge) started making a grating/squeaking noise and you can feel it catch when you open and close it when it makes the noise. It' is at a particular point in the "arc" of when the door swings open, not through the entire "swing".

• Jamie Ludwig

I have also had my 11 month old Sharp Drawer microwave make the popping noise and smoke. Trying to find where it file a law suit.

• Bloomy Gunderson

Sharp isn't owning up to the problem and with a class action suit in place it's unlikely to implement a key design change that could be used to prove they were aware of the need to implement a design change.

That being said, I'm still likely to purchase the product and leverage the crowd-sourced investigation/solution of making sure the appliance has enough hydrogen bonds to excite.

The water/oils/fats all have O-H or C-H bonds that absorb the microwave energy. If there isn't a significant number (and here comes the speculation based on your documented experiences) the excess energy gets dumped/captured into a design that is turning the microwave energy into excessive heat. And then *POOF*! (that's the technical term)

I'll bookmark this and completely confess if my purchase also goes *POOF* in my face.

And I'm not buying an extended warranty. I know that simplifies the process if all goes to heck in a hand-basket but I'm of the mind that the company needs to stand behind a product that normally lasts for decades if it breaks down after 1-year and 1-second.

Not wanting to pay the full $1000 for an appliance that seemed to have frequent issues we rolled the dice and purchased a refurbished one. I thought it was the dish the butter was in during the heating process; so we purchased similar dishes of newer manufacture. These posts seem to be saying small food mass can be the problem. I will leave an anchor hocking glass cup with water in it in the oven and see if it does any more zapping (which raises the hair on the back of my neck). Just FYI we havent had any further zapping noises since replacing the dishware....Perhaps just luck?

We will keep the water in the microwave and thank our lucky stars. We LOVE the concept and have so enjoyed not having a microwave right in our face It also doesn't make the loud banging noise that opening and closing so many others can create. And finally, there is room over my stove for a lovely hood - not an obnoxious appliance.

"cautiously hopeful"

Kohn, Swift & Graf, P.C. is a Philadelphia-based law firm which handles class action cases nationwide. We are currently investigating claims for a class action lawsuit against Sharp Electronics for their defective microwaves. We are gathering information about consumers’ experiences. If you or someone you know has purchased a Sharp microwave drawer, please share your story with us at https://kohnswift.com/2019/04/13/sharp-microwaves-fire-hazard/. All consultations with our firm are free of charge. If we do file a lawsuit, you will not be charged for our services. We get paid only if we achieve a successful result. To ensure compliance with applicable rules of professional conduct, please note that this post might be construed as Attorney Advertising. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

• matt_8221

Same thing just happened to our one month old sharp microwave drawer. And yes, it was melting butter when it made a loud noise and started smoking. I pulled it out, afraid it was on fire inside and put it ouside on the sidewalk. What a piece of junk!

• K.C. Crow
    last year
    last modified: last year

Just chiming in to say that I just experienced the same thing with the Sharp SMD2470AS. I was cooking a frozen corndog for my son, set timer to 48 seconds and about 5 seconds in heard a weird noise/popping sound. I stopped the microwave, opened it up and smoke came out of it for between 5-10 minutes accompanied by what was definitely an electrical burning smell. I got the fire extinguisher ready but never saw any flames. Called Sharp to schedule a service tech and they refused to schedule one because they had to "investigate" the matter first? That sent red flags up for me because how can you investigate without sending someone out in person? My unit was manufactured in 3/2017 and purchased 8/2017 so it is no longer under warranty but after learning that so many others have experienced the same issues I don't think I'm willing to chance it again so in the market for a new microwave.

• aledohome
    last year

This has nothing to do with the Sharp drawer microwaves but as a safety concern for ALL microwaves, the 'super heated' water phenomena happens when any liquid is heated to a near boil and then reheated again without the surface tension being broken. This can happen if you heat up your cup of coffee--and then decide to add another 30 seconds for good measure. When you take that cup out and sip it, the liquid could "explode up" into your face. Again, it has to do with the surface tension building up. Any microwave user should be aware of this, especially children. I found out about this when I was boiling some water for soaking something in a Pyrex cup and then decided to bring back to a boil. To prevent this "mini steam explosion", use something to break the surface of the water. Again, this issues with the Sharp drawers are unrelated to this but I wanted to pass along a safety message. I may not have described the scientific explanation clearly but you can research it yourself so accidents/injuries can be prevented.

• Lisa K
    last year

Regarding the water, I only use it when melting butter under 30 secs. I am on my 3rd replacement and it’s the only way not to have the sound when melting butter. Anyone heating water in a glass for extended periods of time is not safe. With each replacement we’ve experienced the same crackling and smoking (only when melting butter). An appliance repairman said this is common with this micro. That the paint comes off the magnetron causing this issue. Water may not be a workaround per Sharp, but the alternative of smoking and sparks is not an option. We all have this micro in our homes, Sharp will not claim issue with the appliance. What other drawer micro fits these dimensions? Those of us who have remodeled kitchens and built cabinetry around this appliance don’t have many options since it seems most drawer micros are manufactured by Sharp.

• oliveolivehouse
    last year

My drawer microwave also burned when it was just a month old. Bosch replaced it pronto.

To everyone considering the cup of water "fix", my advice is do NOT to do it.

Here's my story: I was testing a thermometer by heating water in my old Panasonic and inserted the thermometer after removing the cup from the MW. The water had become superheated because it was only water, nothing else. When I inserted the thermometer to test it, the water exploded onto my hand and left very painful burns. I learned that this is to be expected. The water traps the energy until the surface is disturbed and then releases in an explosive fashion. The phenomena is called "super heated water." Be careful and don't heat plain water.

• Laura Rodman
    last year

I am a professional kitchen designer in the DC area with 18 years experience in the industry. And tonight our 24" Sharp drawer MW did the exact same thing melting 4 tbsp of butter - made a grinding popping sound and then appeared to start to catch fire. It's about 16 months old. I am absolutely gob-smacked by what I have read in this thread. Had I known about this issue I would have NEVER purchased this unit. We have all Thermador appliances and selected the Sharp over the Thermador MW because of the tilting panel feature.

Sharp has messed with the wrong customer today. My office is in my home and I routinely use my own kitchen for reference with my clients most of whom are spending between $75,000 - $125,000 on their kitchen renovation. I just recommended the MW on Thursday to two of them. To any consumer this situation is dangerous, unacceptable and of deep concern. For me, it has the added pleasure of completely undermining my professional reputation. To make it even worse my husband is a builder for a big local renovation company and installed this MW a few weeks ago for a client. He will also have to make it known that Sharp has a major design flaw. For what it's worth I am also one of the top 5,000 reviewers on Amazon. If I do not get immediate and complete restitution from Sharp I promise to use all of the means at my professional disposal to ensure that anyone in the country looking to purchase a Sharp MW declines to do so. On behalf of myself, our family and all of you.

To the person who keeps posting the bowl of water work-around - please stop posting. If Sharp required a work-around for any of the features it would say so in the manual. in fact, the manual states the exact opposite! It states that the grating/grinding noise initially heard on low settings is "normal". It never sounded normal to me, and if the manual hadn't implied it was I would have looked into this before as we have heard the same sound a half dozen times.

I have written customer service and expect a pretty immediate call tomorrow. I will update this thread as the situation progresses.

• schorert
    last year

IMPORTANT! lawsuit info below. I had my microwave replaced for the same issue EVERYONE here is reporting. Black smoke pouring out of the front of the microwave, loud noises, arc-ing etc. Delivery driver said he replaces these items "all the time....all drawer microwaves are made by sharp and they ALL are junk". He reported one customer is on her fourth. (maybe the same customer listed above!). Do NOT accept any offer from sharp without contacting classaction.org as there is currently a lawfirm collecting reports and it looks like there could be a suit. to participate in the class action you MUST still have the microwave, receipts and correspondence from sharp.

last year

We were cooking carrots in a covered ceramic bowl with a little water and butter in the bottom. Same thing happened. Loud crackling noise and blue tinged electrical smoke. SMD2470ASY Unit was made in 7/18, installed in 11/18, and used infrequently, mostly for warming beverages. Sharp has offered to replace it with a new unit. So far, they have been very responsive.

• tishkoff
    last year

An update on my post from January 5: after much effort and discussion got Sharp to replace for a much reduced cost. I decided to buy an extended warranty given the problems listed. To their credit, they were quick with sending the replacement and installing. The guys who delivered and installed said "Let me guess what the problem is--you heard a loud noise and smoke started pouring out of your microwave?". They said they've been doing many replacements each week. They said that after one woman had to replace the microwave four times, she gave up and filled in the space in her cabinet where it was and switched to a standard microwave. Be aware.

• Judy Gripp
    last year

Sorry to see your's was manufactured in March 2018 and still has the same problem. I just had mine replaced hoping they had addressed the issue. One other thing to note, I decided to "upgrade" to the version that you can wave to open, and it does not fit properly in the same opening as the old one. Now I have to call a carpenter to remove some trim to make it fit.

• Gabriel Thompson
    last year

we just had the same issue with model number SMD2480CS. Like everyone here we are super frustrated that Sharpe would continue to sell a product that could potentially burn down our house!

I called sharpe they didn't seen at all surprised that we had this problem and asked if there was personal injury or other property damaged with the incident. Then they had the nerve to ask if I would like to purchase an extended warranty! I hate to say it but they will be hearing from my lawyer.

I hate to say it but th

• tishkoff
    last year

I had a similar experience as many reported here with our 2 year old Sharp under-counter microwave. I went to make popcorn one evening and as soon as I turned it on it started making a loud noise. I quickly turned it off but it was emitting smoke and smelled like an electrical fire. The smoke continued for over 5 minutes. I was terrified and thought our kitchen would burn down. If one of my children had been using the microwave instead of me it likely would have burnt the house down. Sharp has to do something about this before someone is seriously injured.

• Bob Argen
    last year

Sharp drawer microwave transistor board melted twice. Unit is four years old and was hardly used.Internal fuse does not trip when this happens, raising the possibility of a fire.Sharp refuses to pay for repairs or replace with a safe unit. Their personnel are like robots & respond off a script working from a call center outside the USA .I would not recommend their products. Extremely disappointed.Case #9110923.

last year

We purchased our home June of 2013, Previous owner had remodeled kitchen and purchased and installed SharpKB-6525P on 11/20/2010. By 12/15/2010 microwave needed a repair made (found in her records). In early March of 2014 the microwave arced and sparked and damaged the unit beyond repair. Like a small electrical fire. Sharp would not warrantee. Did a lot of research and found that only a drawer product would fit in opening and Sharp makes them all, for all the brands. Wouldn't buy one and had an open hole for a several months but caved in and bought Sharp SMD2470AS in October 2014. Purchased the extended 4 year warrantee. About a week out of warrantee had same problem. Mine each lasted about 4 years. ABT electronics and Sharp not fixing or replacing. Signed up for the potential class action lawsuit. Not sure what to put there now. Do I rework the cabinet or do I purchase another defective unit from a shoddy organization?

• Janet Zeller
    last year
    My daughter was going to reheat a hamburger in our Sharp in the drawer microwave when it made a weird sound followed by billowing gray smoke. She quickly turned it off and we unplugged it to be assured it wouldn't catch on fire. This was probably the sixth time using the microwave. Customer service sent a form to be filled out and resubmitted. I also signed a form stating I would not join the Class Action Lawsuit against Sharp. The company sent a replacement microwave. Interestingly, the delivery man 'had' to be the person to install the microwave. He told us he usually delivers five replacement microwaves each week.
    I don't understand why Sharp does not have a recall on these fire hazzards. One would think Sharp would remediate the cause of the electrical burning with this model.
  • Judy Gripp
    last year

Sharp has offered to replace mine at no charge even though it was out of warranty. Hopefully the problem has been solved. They responded fairly quickly to my case, so I think they are well aware of the issue.

• Lisa K
    last year
    last modified: last year

Were you heating up butter when this happened? Butter has always been the culprit for our 3 micros!!! We’re on our 3rd and I always put a mug of water in with butter. It stopped the issue. The coating on the magnetron peels off and that’s what triggers this event.

• Terry Wilkens
    last year

I have Sharp model KB6524PSY manufactored April 2017 and I purchased in June of '17, but, not used until January 2018 (new build). I reported the electrical snapping/buzzing sound in Feb of 18 to the dealer and they made a note of it, but, it functioned fine cooking and the sound was intermittent and rare until its fatal time early November '18 when it made prolonged snapping/buzzing sounds and then started smoking. Thank goodness I was in the kitchen and my husband and I quickly pulled it out so that it didn't burn our new home down. I have the email trail, so, we will see what happens next.

• Judy Gripp
    last year

I have a model SMD2470ASY. Manufactured Dec 2015, installed March 2016. I was heating up two small breakfast sausages this morning when it started making a loud noise and smoking. So the problem is not limited to butter. I called Sharp and was referred to a local service shop and told I could request warranty repair after the evaluation. This was put in as part of a major kitchen remodel. It would not be easy to replace this with a non-drawer model. I am very disappointed to learn that Sharp makes all the drawer microwaves. Very frustrating that Sharp is not owning up to the problems.

• GARY DEFAUW
    last year

Thanks for the comment on the butter. Other than butter, or maybe a piece of bread, are there reports of any other foods triggering this defect?

• Lisa K
    last year

I have the same unit that you currently have. This is my 3rd one.

• Kathy Truan
    last year
    SMD3070AS this is the model number for my current unit and they said they would replace it with SMD3070ASY
  • Kathy Truan
    last year
    I just got a email back from sharp today saying they will send me a replacement unit if I send mine in that is having the problem and it will have a 1 year warranty
  • Lisa K
    last year

Sharp isn’t owning up to any of the model issues even though electricians are being sent out to replace parts before they end up swapping the unit. They know for sure. Just make sure you always put water in the micro when melting butter. I made this for mine as a reminder for everyone!

• Lisa K
    last year

I’ve had 2 replacements, but my current one is not that model number. Here’s the thing, Sharp isn’t taking ownership of the previous issues. Even if you get the new model, I would still put a mug of water in the micro when melting butter.

• GARY DEFAUW
    last year

Is there a way I can find out if they fixed the sound and smoke issue in the 2018 model #SMD2480CS? I called Sharp and they said they don't show they ever had the problem in any of their models.

• GARY DEFAUW
    last year

I am considering the 2018 model # SMD2480CS. I am wondering if they have fixed the sound and smoke issue. Has anyone had the problem with the #SMD2480CS?