ltocks

Problems with Sharp drawer microwave?

ltocks
We have had our Sharp drawer microwave for just a little over 1 year. Recently it made a loud buzzing type sound and electrical smelling smoke started coming out of the housing. Has anyone else had this happen? Sharp will not cover since it is barely out of warranty.

• oliveolivehouse

My drawer microwave also burned when it was just a month old. Bosch replaced it pronto.

To everyone considering the cup of water "fix", my advice is do NOT to do it.

Here's my story: I was testing a thermometer by heating water in my old Panasonic and inserted the thermometer after removing the cup from the MW. The water had become superheated because it was only water, nothing else. When I inserted the thermometer to test it, the water exploded onto my hand and left very painful burns. I learned that this is to be expected. The water traps the energy until the surface is disturbed and then releases in an explosive fashion. The phenomena is called "super heated water." Be careful and don't heat plain water.

• Lisa K

Regarding the water, I only use it when melting butter under 30 secs. I am on my 3rd replacement and it’s the only way not to have the sound when melting butter. Anyone heating water in a glass for extended periods of time is not safe. With each replacement we’ve experienced the same crackling and smoking (only when melting butter). An appliance repairman said this is common with this micro. That the paint comes off the magnetron causing this issue. Water may not be a workaround per Sharp, but the alternative of smoking and sparks is not an option. We all have this micro in our homes, Sharp will not claim issue with the appliance. What other drawer micro fits these dimensions? Those of us who have remodeled kitchens and built cabinetry around this appliance don’t have many options since it seems most drawer micros are manufactured by Sharp.

Microwave drawer dimensions when open?

That kitchen is gorgeous thanks for sharing. Our designer has 36 inches spaced in....I'm just second-guessing everything tonight! It is a townhouse kitchen, although a fairly big townhome at around 3800 sq. feet, it's still a townhouse kitchen. Thx to all for the help.

Microwave drawer installed now can't open corner door. Oops!

Greg, thank you for the words of encouragement. Yes you're correct as I'm loving my new kitchen! But we have had a few glitches. But again a learning experience. And I'm positive with all of your advice and working with the contractor we will get this taken care of. Susan, I wanted a drawer microwave and Sharp makes this one. They also make the same thing without the handle for Dacor, Wolf, Viking but you pay twice as much for the name. Also, the sharp's panel is slightly tilted up for easy viewing from a standing position. Though I'm short so would have no problem either way, my husband is tall and he didn't want to bend down to look at the display. I wish we could have got the sharp without the handle and I asked the sales person if we could but because of the contract they have with the higher end manufacturers they needed to keep their's looking different by including the handle. Thank you all again. We will see what tomorrow shall bring. Praying for all to work out.

Can you install a 30" sharp microwav drawer in a 30" base micro cabint

Hmm... I just had a 24" installed in a 24" cabinet. Check the specs again. I have 15"pullout cabinets with drawers on either side of the microwave though. Maybe that's why it works just fine for me. Actually I prefer the exact fit. I needed every last inch to make my design work. But, according to the specs for the 24" a 24" cabinet is all you need. I would imagine it's the same for the 30. By the way, when I was shopping for mine, the salesman explained that the interior cooking space is the same on both the 24" and the 30" The 30" just has a larger front but it is a false front. So, unless you already have a 30 cabinet that you need to fit for, you may just want to go with the 24" It is a little less expensive too.

Microwave Above The Range vs Drawer Microwave?

I love the look of a beautiful range hood, but my kitchen is small, and I don't want to use storage space for them microwave. At nearly 60 and with a husband at 66, I most definitely do not want to crouch down or bend over to get at the microwave, so that's definitely out. Also, it's probably not a good idea for my 9-year-old granddaughter and her friends to be able to open it and use it without my supervision. When I can afford to, I plan to replace the one I have with a new cabinet-depth microwave. That way, no protruding microwave!
  • aledohome

This has nothing to do with the Sharp drawer microwaves but as a safety concern for ALL microwaves, the 'super heated' water phenomena happens when any liquid is heated to a near boil and then reheated again without the surface tension being broken. This can happen if you heat up your cup of coffee--and then decide to add another 30 seconds for good measure. When you take that cup out and sip it, the liquid could "explode up" into your face. Again, it has to do with the surface tension building up. Any microwave user should be aware of this, especially children. I found out about this when I was boiling some water for soaking something in a Pyrex cup and then decided to bring back to a boil. To prevent this "mini steam explosion", use something to break the surface of the water. Again, this issues with the Sharp drawers are unrelated to this but I wanted to pass along a safety message. I may not have described the scientific explanation clearly but you can research it yourself so accidents/injuries can be prevented.

• K.C. Crow

Just chiming in to say that I just experienced the same thing with the Sharp SMD2470AS. I was cooking a frozen corndog for my son, set timer to 48 seconds and about 5 seconds in heard a weird noise/popping sound. I stopped the microwave, opened it up and smoke came out of it for between 5-10 minutes accompanied by what was definitely an electrical burning smell. I got the fire extinguisher ready but never saw any flames. Called Sharp to schedule a service tech and they refused to schedule one because they had to "investigate" the matter first? That sent red flags up for me because how can you investigate without sending someone out in person? My unit was manufactured in 3/2017 and purchased 8/2017 so it is no longer under warranty but after learning that so many others have experienced the same issues I don't think I'm willing to chance it again so in the market for a new microwave.

• matt_8221
    last year

Same thing just happened to our one month old sharp microwave drawer. And yes, it was melting butter when it made a loud noise and started smoking. I pulled it out, afraid it was on fire inside and put it ouside on the sidewalk. What a piece of junk!

last year

Kohn, Swift & Graf, P.C. is a Philadelphia-based law firm which handles class action cases nationwide. We are currently investigating claims for a class action lawsuit against Sharp Electronics for their defective microwaves. We are gathering information about consumers’ experiences. If you or someone you know has purchased a Sharp microwave drawer, please share your story with us at https://kohnswift.com/2019/04/13/sharp-microwaves-fire-hazard/. All consultations with our firm are free of charge. If we do file a lawsuit, you will not be charged for our services. We get paid only if we achieve a successful result. To ensure compliance with applicable rules of professional conduct, please note that this post might be construed as Attorney Advertising. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

last year

Not wanting to pay the full $1000 for an appliance that seemed to have frequent issues we rolled the dice and purchased a refurbished one. I thought it was the dish the butter was in during the heating process; so we purchased similar dishes of newer manufacture. These posts seem to be saying small food mass can be the problem. I will leave an anchor hocking glass cup with water in it in the oven and see if it does any more zapping (which raises the hair on the back of my neck). Just FYI we havent had any further zapping noises since replacing the dishware....Perhaps just luck?

We will keep the water in the microwave and thank our lucky stars. We LOVE the concept and have so enjoyed not having a microwave right in our face It also doesn't make the loud banging noise that opening and closing so many others can create. And finally, there is room over my stove for a lovely hood - not an obnoxious appliance.

"cautiously hopeful"

• Bloomy Gunderson
    last year

Sharp isn't owning up to the problem and with a class action suit in place it's unlikely to implement a key design change that could be used to prove they were aware of the need to implement a design change.

That being said, I'm still likely to purchase the product and leverage the crowd-sourced investigation/solution of making sure the appliance has enough hydrogen bonds to excite.

The water/oils/fats all have O-H or C-H bonds that absorb the microwave energy. If there isn't a significant number (and here comes the speculation based on your documented experiences) the excess energy gets dumped/captured into a design that is turning the microwave energy into excessive heat. And then *POOF*! (that's the technical term)

I'll bookmark this and completely confess if my purchase also goes *POOF* in my face.

And I'm not buying an extended warranty. I know that simplifies the process if all goes to heck in a hand-basket but I'm of the mind that the company needs to stand behind a product that normally lasts for decades if it breaks down after 1-year and 1-second.

• Jamie Ludwig
    last year

I have also had my 11 month old Sharp Drawer microwave make the popping noise and smoke. Trying to find where it file a law suit.

• Laura Grosmaire
    last year

Has anyone had problems with the doors on the Sharp MW? We have a very small, standard model (it was all that would fit in the MW cabinet/space) that we purchased ~6 months ago. The MW works fine so far, but a few days ago the door (bottom hinge) started making a grating/squeaking noise and you can feel it catch when you open and close it when it makes the noise. It' is at a particular point in the "arc" of when the door swings open, not through the entire "swing".

• Rhonda Hurwitz
    last year
    last modified: last year

Tried to melt butter for 15 seconds in my sharp microwave drawer model SMD2470, manufacturing date October 2015. Heard a grinding noise, and when I opened the door smoke came out and it smelled like something was burning. Afraid it would start a fire, I stopped using it. researching what to do ... when I came across this thread on Houzz and learned many others have this issue. Will contact Sharp next, but not sure what good is a replacement unit or repair if it is a fire hazard? My questions:

- Can this unit ever be safely used again or is it “toast”?

- Like many others my kitchen renovation was designEd with this unit in mind... if I have to replace it, is there another manufacturer/ safer option that will fit the opening?

- When I contact Sharp, what does it make sense to ask for ... repair? Replace? Refund?

• baileysr
    last year

Your unit is safe to use. From now on, put a cup of water in the unit when you’re melting butter and you’ll be fine. I have the same unit, had the same problem, started doing the water thing years ago and my unit has been doing fine ever since. It’s a super easy workaround.

• oliveolivehouse
    last year

This is a long thread but the summary is that this is an ongoing issue with some workarounds if you pay attention to the safety issues. Please read the whole thread, especially back to Feb 2019s. If I were you, I would ask for a new replacement and hope for the best. Kind Regards!

• dream house 2015
    last year

We keep a bowl of water in at all times. We get that noise with random things so we just keep the water in at all times. So stupid but piece of mind.

Windsor Architectural Woodworking
    last year

Water has nothing to do with it. It's a faulty part. Mine was replaced directly by the manufacturer with their newest model (the one that you wave your hand in front of and it opens). It's been working fine without any heroics. (So far).

• schorert
    last year

Rhonda, I would try it again while standing and watching the unit, my guess is that it's toast. The first time my microwave acted up I assumed I'd had something in there that melted. the next time I was standing right next to it as I microwaved some potatoes and thick black smoke came pouring out.

I have found absolutely no credible references to always keeping water in a microwave. sharp could not care any less about this issue.

• ayou
    last year

We had the KB-6524PS Sharp drawer microwave installed in Fall 2013. We had never had any issues or sounds until tonight. My 13 year old daughter was melting butter and 10 seconds in the popping and smoking started. Thankfully we were all in kitchen and able to stop microwave. When we were sure there was no fire, we pulled the microwave out to unplug.The kitchen smells like burned plastic. I am horrified to know that Sharp knows this can be a problem and has not followed through with any notification or update.

• Lisa K
    last year

Exactly what has happened to my last THREE Sharp Drawer microwaves. For me, I now put a mug with water in the micro (people say not to do this bc you could get burned with the water) I do leave the water in the micro to cool. It’s the ONLY way i have found to avoid this issue. my First micro was replaced after I called in a panic. My second micro was replaced after I had a Sharp recommended tech come out, inspect and replace a part. Apparently, the coating comes off the magnetron and that’s what is causing the sparks. Once the issue continued, Sharp replaced the microwave a third time. This time I only melt butter with some water in the oven and I haven’t had an issue. Sharp knows about this, it’s impossible for them not to.

• aquinski
    last year

Bought a KB6524PS Sharp drawer, it was delivered in the Fall of 2013, installed in January 2014 as part of a kitchen renovation. Last week I was heating up a cup of tea when I smelled a terrible plastic/electrical burning smell. Called service immediately. They came out today and said that the magnetron is shorting to the stirrer blade with burn spots on the metal channel and is not replaceable. I have submitted a claim to Sharp with the required documentation: picture of model tag inside the drawer, copy of service order with recommendation and receipt of payment for service. They are claiming to have a remedy for me within 24 hours. I will update you when I hear from them. I never heard the bit about putting water in the oven when melting butter, but as this was just warming up a cup of tea, the butter issue is not applicable here. We use our microwave mostly for heating beverages and cooking/reheating vegetables.

• Lisa K
    last year

They sent out a tech to replace a part on our micro. After that “fix” didn’t work, then they sent a replacement. Tell them about this thread. It goes back years. Clearly there’s a manufacturing issue. Good luck. I'm on micro #3.

• schorert
    last year

aquinski they will offer you a prorated replacement that will still be about 3x what this machine is worth. I use my machine about once/wk now because I know the thing has a working lifespan of about 3hrs total use.

• aquinski
    last year

We used ours daily for 6 years and had been very happy with it. Some of our friends even put one in their new kitchens at our recommendation, so we'll have to alert them too. I'm hoping that they will do the right thing. I did see that there's a class action suit for this problem, but I'd rather give the company a chance to resolve this first. I have had some manufacturers stand behind their product and those are the companies that I continue to do business with.

• Brooke
    last year

I just called sharp after my microwave drawer manufactured in 2015 started making a weird, high pitched grinding noise and smoke started pouring out of it. It is built in to my cabinets so I could not tell if it caught the interior of the cabinet on fire. It smoked for 30 minutes and I watched with a fire extinguisher handy. The smoke smelled terrible like plastic and metal and goodness knows what. Sharp told me I am out of warranty and have to pay for the repairs myself. I have yet to get a person out here. (They only cover their product for 2 years - they must not have a lot of faith in their craftsmanship). I hope the join a class action lawsuit and told Sharp that they have a liability on their hands with a product that catches fire.

last year

There is a defect with the design of all microwave drawers, all made by Sharp. Ours lasted for 7 years befor the magnetron arced to the waveguide. I took it to an authoized repair shop, but once this happens the microwave cannot be repaired. If the magnetron is replaced the damaged surface of the waveguide will allow it to happen again. The waveguide is part of the steel cabinet. It is the ‘tunnel’ that the radio energy travels to the cooking compartment. Apparently, these magnetrons and waveguide geometry are not tuned properly, energy is relected back to the magnetron antenna cap(plastic) which eventually disintegrates and burns. Unsafe failure mode if you ask me. Sharp has done nothing. There is a class action lawsuit. Thinking about getting a panasonic even though the space is for a drawer microwave. I will NOT have a known unsafe appliance in our home!

• Marlo Humphrey
    last year

I have two. one caught on fire and the other irking out if control. I cant replace again cost much just for looks now

I just had my new sharp microwave drawer installed. When you press the close button the drawer closers and then opens back up immediately. This makes it impossible to use. Unacceptable!

• Jan Maher

I have had this problem with 2 Sharp drawer microwave ovens. Sharp replaced both of them. I did see where attorneys are trying to get together a class action lawsuit because of this issue. I’d go back to Sharp and try again since this is a known issue.

• Marlo Humphrey

thanks for the info

• pamelajeffery

YES! Just today 7-23-2020. Very scary! I thought my Sharp microwave drawer was going to blow up and start a fire in my gorgeous new island! Bizarre crackling/popping/buzzing noises. Horrible burnt metallic/electrical smell. Smoke coming out of microwave. Microwave has only been installed about a year or so. Very upsetting.

• bobhood

Call Sharp customer service. Emphasize that you had a FIRE. Should get you a replacement and free installation. What were you trying to cook or heat up?

• amsavarese

It always happens just outside of a year. We are on our third microwave! Crazy bad....If i had to pay for them, i would have chosen something else. They should all be recalled! Be assertive! if they are not copperative, tell them you will give them the worst review on houzz and do it. I believe that is the reason they reached out after denying any liability and gave us our third one!

• Lisa K

We are also on our 3rd microwave. One of the installers said it’s the magnetron that has a faulty design. He’d replaced several of the same microwaves. We always had the issue when melting butter. I don’t allow my kids to use it.

• spaz192

My microwave has same issue, purchased 4/28/2020, now buzzing and smoking after heating up potato soap.

• Pamela Deegan

I purchased my Sharp drawer microwave, the one where you wave your hand to open it, about a year and a half ago. For the last half year, it only works one time out of twenty. From the start, we shut off the wave feature since it didn’t work. Even using the microwave manually, it won’t open, won’t close, won’t start, and on occasion, starts on its own. I called Sharp and they wouldn’t do anything and even refused to send a service person to look at it or fix it, even if I paid for the service. They said they won’t come to my zip code (La Jolla(San Diego)). Looking up new drawer microwaves made by Sharp, they won’t deliver or install to my zip. This is a piece of junk, but now I have a hole in my cabinetry for a microwave. Any ideas?

• Janet Greene

Sharp is in a Class Action Lawsuit over microwave drawers catching on fire. Look it up like that & also look under Consumer Reports reviews on lots of microwaves. Panasonic might be a good brand but read reviews before purchasing anything.

• Lisa K

Yes! I just got this email: A federal court authorized this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer, and you are not being sued.

You are receiving this notice because you could be affected by a class action lawsuit against Sharp involving microwave drawer ovens.

A Settlement has been reached with Sharp Electronics Corporation (“Sharp”) in a class action lawsuit regarding Sharp-branded Microwave Drawer Ovens (“Class Microwave(s)”). The lawsuit alleges that some of the Class Microwaves contained an issue that caused “arcing through the waveguide,” which could cause the microwave to malfunction (an “Arcing Event”). Sharp denies these allegations.

Am I included? You are included in the Settlement if you purchased or received a new Class Microwave, or you were the first person to own a residential real property with a new Class Microwave, installed between January 1, 2009, and August 5, 2020.

What does the Settlement provide? The Settlement includes potential benefits for eligible Settlement Class Members, including: Limited Extended Warranty; full Replacement; up to $250 cash payment or $500 voucher; and/or reimbursements for certain out-of-pocket payments.

How can I file a claim? Eligible Settlement Class Members must file a claim, including the required documentation. Claim Forms are available on the Settlement Website: www.SharpMicrowaveLitigation.com. Click HERE to file your Claim. You may file a claim online or download the Claim Form and send it in via e-mail or regular mail. Claim Forms for any Settlement Class Member whose Limited Extended Warranty has expired on or prior to January 7, 2021, must be received by May 7, 2021. Claim Forms for any Settlement Class Member whose Limited Extended Warranty will expire after January 7, 2021, must be received within two years of the date of any Arcing Event. Eligible Class Members will receive payments and/or a replacement microwave after the Court approves the Settlement and after any appeals are resolved. Please be patient.

What are my other rights? If you don’t want benefits and don’t want to be legally bound by the Court’s orders, you must exclude yourself from the Settlement by November 17, 2020. If you do not exclude yourself, you will be bound by this Settlement and you will not be able to sue Sharp for any claims related to the Settlement. If you stay in the Settlement, you may object to the Settlement by November 17, 2020. You or your own lawyer may appear at the hearing at your own expense. The Court will hold a hearing on January 7, 2021, to consider whether to approve the Settlement, a request for $3 million for attorneys’ costs and fees, and a service payment of $1,500 to each Class Representative ($10,500 total). The attorneys’ fees and service payments to the Class Representatives will not reduce the amount of benefits available to Class Members.

For more information, visit www.SharpMicrowaveLitigation.com
    or call 1-800-242-5127

• fkajani

Does this mean that Sharp can continue to sell these faulty microwave drawers? Also does anyone know when Sharp’s patent will end allowing other companies to redesign who drawer microwaves work?

@fkajani, yes, I think that it does. Legally, Sharp is admitting no wrongdoing. If the microwaves failed that is really annoying but failing in this unsafe way, that's why they are settling.

@aledohome, it has happened with other brands of drawer microwaves - I think some are documented in this thread. I have a co-worker who married into the Sub-Zero/Wolf family and had him tell the owner about this problem. Wolf doesn't make any microwaves. They could possibly tell Sharp to use better internal components, but the flaw is in the case itself. Because the case/wave guide geometry and the magnetron (microwave energy generator) are not tuned properly, the antenna covering is systematically destroyed and when it fails then the energy arcs to the walls of the waveguide permanently damaging them.

under counter microwave with sliding door. I have a different problem; I can not cook a simple pouched egg properly with this SHARPE under the counter sliding door microwave. Replaced my counter top microwave for extra counter space. I realized there was going to be a problem when I read "bake potato". Microwaves do not bake anything; they cook or re-heat food. The Sharpe microwave works at a lower power than my old microwave; dropping a raw egg into a pyrex measuring cup, half full of boiling water, and microwaving it for 37 seconds made a perfectly soft center fully cooked egg. This is impossible to do with the SHARPE microwave. The bottom of the egg does not cook no matter how many seconds are added to the cooking time; more time only makes a hard boiled egg on top. The bottom remains runny. Cover the cup with a paper towel doesn't help , and turning the egg over between seconds does not work either. What's the problem with microwave design? Answer: the bottom of the microwave does not reach a power level necessary to cook the bottom of the egg. Another problem; the finished alarm sound needs to be improved. It's not loud enough! Perhaps the designer has never cooked or used a microwave. Re-heating a cup of coffee, and cooking a soft boiled egg are the two only reasons for me to own a microwave. I now have an expensive, high style, under the counter, sliding door microwave that meets none of my simple microwave needs.

OMG! Same issue of many I’ve read. Melting butter, weird noise, smoke, electrical smell. 2 years of use. If a house catch fire for this, it will be an expensive lawsuit.

We should pass the voice.

• I K

Wish there was some info out there on if Sharp identified and fixed the problem. The class action suit is dated from Jan 1, 2009 - Aug 5, 2020 but there is no information on if units manufactured after this date are updated or if this was just the scope of the lawsuit.

• kpjoc

What can I put in my island instead of the fire hazard Sharp microwave drawer? Help!

• bobhood

Our third Sharp microwave (second replacement) was a newer model - "KB-6525-Y", which was the 30" version. Installed 12/20/17, nearly three years ago. It now shows "Beverage Center" and "Melt" modes which the previous models did not have. Apparently they have re-engineered the product so that it doesn't blow up when melting butter or re-heating a cup of liquid.

2015 to 2017 - TWO burnouts . . . . . 2017 to almost 2021 . . . . . We have had ZERO issues since this model was installed.

• Barbara

my microwave is being replaced today. they are offering me a one-year warranty on it would you purchase the extended warranty?

Having the same arcing, smell of burnt wires, grinding, etc. symptoms with a top of the line Thermador MD30 drawer mv. Anybody else ? I think the internals are made by Sharp

• mot72

We own model KB-6024MS that was installed in 2009 when we built our new home. The unit has performed flawlessly for over 10 years until just last year when it began to spark. We will file a claim under the class action suit. We really like the drawer concept and will purchase the newest, top of the line Sharp unit. I know we're taking a chance. We considered other manufacturers but since Sharp basically provides the main components it doesn't seem to matter which manufacture we purchase from. Every product out there has good a bad reviews. We had great success with our unit for 11 years. Hoping we have the same results with the new unit. Will definitely keep an eye on it and purchase the extended warranty.

• Richard

People who had Sharp replace your drawer microwave. Did you contact customer service and what did you have to do? Thanks!

• Gus Fumano

For those that are considering a microwave drawer after seeing this thread, just be aware that the phenomenon of microwaving foods (vegetables) and sparking or arcing is not new and does not only occur in microwave drawers. Microwaves, butter and arcing has been a known issue even before microwave drawers were on the market. There is a series of physics behind it and the high mineral content of the food acts similar to metal, which gets its mineral source from soil it was grown in. Some soils have high mineral content, some don't, which could be a reason why it occurs with some green beans and not others as an example. Also the shape matters. Chopping kale finely so that there are irregular sharp edges increases the chances of arcing. Cut a grape and half but leave the skin touching the two halves, put a glass over it and you have a plasma science experiment. Check it out on youtube if you want to see it in action.

And the trick with adding a cup of water is not new. It absorbs some of the electrical field reducing the electrical field that leads arcing. The trick addresses the physics behind why arcing happens rather than a perceived design flaw. Apparently Kirkland brand (Costco) butter is susceptible to arcing, while I have read that it does not happen for other brands.

Now this does not mean that there may not be design or part issues with the sharp mw drawers but the phenomenon is definitely not limited to only mw drawers.