Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dloribrown

Outside kitchen SW Florida

8 years ago

Located at end of lanai. It is finished on 3 sides, electric and plumbing are in place but kitchen was never put in. (I believe owner/builder ran out of funds)

It measures 71 1/2" wide x 40 1/2" deep.

I would like to have a centered 30" BBQ, a double side burner, a sink on the right side, and if possible, a pizza oven. Also shelving, lighting. There is no natural gas here so room is needed below the grill for a portable propane tank.

Comments (15)

• 8 years ago
    What is your dilemma?
  • 8 years ago
    What is your question?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

A 30" grill, a 12-15" wide side burner, and a 15-18" (typical) sink = 57" to 63". You're going to be way tight with all that in a 71.5" run. Figure you need at least 6" of counter on one side of the grill head, plus I strongly recommend 18" on the other side - otherwise where does your plate go? Where do you sit your tongs, your basting brush? When something needs to come off the grill NOW so it doesn't become jerky, where are you plopping it? We're a dealer for about a half dozen grill and accessory lines and I see people forget those small but crucial details all the time.

It's easy to get really excited about what all you can (theoretically) fit into a kitchen, but don't forget to make it practical. I think you either need to scale back what you're trying to squeeze in, or extend the island.

• 8 years ago

Again, it is deep so I can place the sink on the right hand wall. It does not need to be in line with the grill and burners.

• PRO
    8 years ago

ok so what is it you're asking exactly?

• PRO
    8 years ago

A real pizza oven or one you can use on your grill and an actual floor plan would be very helpful

Lori Brown thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 8 years ago

Here is a not-so-great photo of the space. Electrical outlets on left, plumbing hookups on right. I am looking for some design ideas.

• PRO
    8 years ago

ok I was envisioning an island, not this sort of layout, when you said the sink could be to the back (which is what it would be if not in line with the appliances). Standard kitchen counter depth (front to back) is 24", 27-7/8" for the outdoor cabinets I sell. If you push a sink to the back of a 40" deep counter... I'm 6'4 with long monkey arms and I'd have a hard time using the sink. I'd strongly suggest mocking this up so you can envision it. take a 72"x40" piece of cardboard, set it at 36" (typical countertop height) and see how far you can comfortably reach. Unless you're bigger than me, it's not all that far. It's why folks who do huge, deep islands in their indoor kitchens sometimes regret it, because they can't reach the center of the island!

Now that I know you only have access from one side, I'd suggest limiting your cabinets to no more than 24-27" deep, 30 at the absolute max. That last ten inches to 40 is unusable space, so why pay for the granite? And like I said, mock it up in real life with cardboard or whatever you have. I think you'll see that if you try and fit everything on your list in there it's not going to be a particularly functional space. My goal is always for folks to love every second they spend using their kitchens, not cursing the lack of functionality.

As far as design ideas go, look at the manufacturers websites for different grill and outdoor cabinet manufacturers. I sell Danver cabinets, and they have terrific photos on theirHouzz page. I think that will also show you what I mean in terms of functional space. I'm not sure how else I can help you short of drawing it up, and that's something we reserve for customers who have paid a design retainer (that then gets applied to their grill and accessory purchase). Feel free to ask any other questions, though. Seriously, mock it up with cardboard. It will help you understand what your space will look and feel like.

Also - do you have a vent hood in that nook? I'm pretty sure you'll need one, both for code and to keep the back wall and ceiling from being a greasy, sooty mess.

• 8 years ago

You are right about the depth. This is what I was envisioning. The burner on left, grill in center and coming around the sink on the end. Above would have a vent hood, lights and shelving. Am I on the right track?

• PRO
    8 years ago

The sink is what's killing you. This is what you're proposing actually done to scale (and not allowing for a +/- size factor on grill or burner, not knowing make and model). You're essentially left with creating a 16x16 square for sink and faucet. Here's why that's problematic:

• that's a small sink (less than 14x14). Is that really useful at that point?
    • It's going to be right at your hip while grilling, which is going to be annoying.
    • if your access door to the under-sink plumbing faces the grill, that's going to be a crazy tight fit for anyone but an oompa loompa to get at the trap. Additionally, depending how low the knob plate on the grill drops below counter height, it may conflict with the cabinet door.
    • if your access door faces out towards the room (the right side, if facing the sink) it's still crazy tight.
    • you've now made a good bit of that 22x24 rectangle of counter next to the grill difficult to access

I get it, the plumbing is already there and you'd love a sink, but I think shoehorning it in makes everything less functional.

Why don't you consider a separate freestanding sink counter on the other side of that wall? If you cut access below the counter height you won't have any stucco repair to do, it looks like the trap could still be run to the drain, and you're good to go. Then you have easy access, plenty of storage for everything else you may need, and if you did a wood or corian drop-in cut to fit the sink opening, the sink could be used as any regular flat surface counter when not in use.

Anyhow, that's my .02 for what it's worth. Space planning is what I do, I really hate the thought of people investing in a layout that starts its life problematic.

Lori Brown thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • 8 years ago

Thank you for taking the time. As you say, with the sink installed, I can no longer really use all that counter space to the right of the grill.

Would it be outrageous if the grill was on the left wall instead of the back, the sink on the right wall and counter along the back with the sink in the middle or offset?

Also the venting hood, could it be configured and still look decent?

• 8 years ago

I meant to say the burner on the right and sink on back wall.

• 8 years ago

Yes, you are right. I didn't think through what I was suggesting before i hit send. Regarding the sink, we don't and have never had one before so yes, even though the plumbing is already in place, I think that will be nuked. One less thing to clean as well. lol.

We do use the side burner, ie melting butter for clams, etc., so I think the gas grill, side burner and the vent hood will be all the appliances we will need.

Thank you for your help on this. I just kept thinking since the plumbing is there, we need to have a sink. Unfortunately the builder didn't give us a wide enough area to accomplish that.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I think that's the right call. As I mentioned, everyone is always floored at how many linear feet of outdoor kitchen it can take to fit in their whole wish list. I think you'll have a great little grill nook that will work for you. Just don't forget the vents where the propane is stored!

Lori Brown thanked Revolutionary Gardens