Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eageree

sheen for BM exterior paint - satin vs low lustre??

6 years ago

Painter says he always uses satin for exterior painting. I was thinking of going with Benjamin Moore's Low lustre. The home is brick but there is wood siding on a "peak" over the garage doors which faces west. This area was beat up due to a hail storm (tennis ball) so its not exactly a perfect surface.

Will there be a shine when that afternoon sun shines on the satin? Also concerned about the imperfections showing up more with the satin paint. Oh yes, it is white paint. Painter says the satin will were longer.......is that so? So the question is satin vs low lustre for an area that faces bright afternoon sun.

Comments (4)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've painted my house twice now with satin. I am sure it wears better than paint with less sheen that I had on another home. Repels dirt better too, rinses off with hose better, repels water better so should last longer. With white I think the sheen would be less noticeable.

I went with a darker color and different (from gray to medium grayish beige) in satin on the second painting and reflecting light makes it look a lighter color, kind of. It's only more noticeable, kind of, where there is no shade from any trees and get full direct sun, it was also the area that started losing the sheen of the first painting. Anyone that has noticed that I used satin really likes it and say they would probably use satin next time they paint.

If there are any imperfections from the hail you are probably the only one who will notice it. No one else is going to scrutinize it like you will.

Regarding light colors and imperfections. A friend who used to restore old cars said light colors hide imperfections better than dark colors.

• 6 years ago

Satin has a tighter/smoother surface-film. THAT'S why it repels the elements better. Why do ya think our car paints are glossy?! :-)

Faron

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I used low luster on my exterior areas that have wood siding (BM Aura) ... love it. My wood was pretty beat up. Looks great now and the paint is holding up beautifully in areas with the So Cal sun beating on it. I did not want a shiny house.

• 2 months ago

I assume satin hee efers to "soft gloss"?