Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_lieblein

Flat black finish - Emtek door hardware

2 years ago

Has anyone found that the flat black finish on the emtek door knobs wear off and gold shows through? I am thinking of changing the knobs to Baldwin. Does anyone know if that is better? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments (15)

• 2 years ago

We just sold a house with Emtek black hardware that was 20 years old. It was the "rough" or wrought iron black. Some of the handles and knobs on the regularly used doors had a slightly faded/worn look. None had gold color showing through.

There are different lines of Emtek, they have brass and bronze bases. I was told the bronze bases are more durable, both in the finish and mechanism and compared to other manufacturers, the Emtek up-charge to go from brass to bronze is relatively small.

• 2 years ago

We have Emtek black matte on a new exterior door (only 6 months). Wearing fine so far. Only company I could find with black matte that would work. Somewhat disappointed in the quality - price was about $200 for a lever handle with deadbolt in the same plate.

• 2 years ago

Mine look absolutely awful. Would never order from then again. Wonder who has a good alternative?

• 2 years ago

Wow and yours are on interior doors, Andrea!

• 2 years ago

Same thing happened to my interior doors in about 1 year after installation. I am installing new door handles now. New door hardware is Schlage and antique brass color. My husband and I were very upset about what happenend with the emtek door handles. They were pretty expensive. Apparently, their matte black finish doesn’t have a life time guarantee. I wish I would have known that before purchasing.

• 2 years ago

Me too Pretty angry about it. did schlage have good reviews?

• 2 years ago

I went with Schlage in antique brass because we have that finish/brand on

our front door and it has held up beautifully. Also, my emtek door handles had a back plate and schlage had a style that had a black plate that was the same size.

• 2 years ago

Thanks i need black since i have black flush pulls on my closets i will check

• last year

Wow! Flat black seems to be a no go! Just placed an order for Oil Rubbed Bronze with the expectation that it will wear off overtime. There are darkening bronze oils out there that should help with keeping it dark and touching up overtime, but reading all the reviews about Emtek poor finishes and poorer warranty, it make's me nervous to even install these Emtek knobs now.

• last year

I swiitxhed them out for baldwin and they are wearing much better No chipping

• last year

You may want to move on to another brand. We have been in our new home for three nights and our Master w/c door already has a couple chips in it. I haven’t cleaned even yet…I think there had to be a better product than Emtek. But that being said there is no warranty on the flat black and that speaks volumes.

• last year

I moved on to baldwin it ia great

• PRO
    4 months ago

I have heard nothing but positive Baldwin reviews from my clients. They say the finish lasts forever even on exterior doors. The most recent feedback was based on a south facing door!

• 4 months ago

Baldwin was a fortune but we went with it and couldn’t be happier