Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_7

Do you grow sorrel?

3 months ago

I have a couple of plants growing now. I used to have more.

Do you grow sorrel and what recipe do you use?

Sorrel Recipe:

Sorrel Soup, my version, 1lb sorrel leaves, chopped
1 lb baby spinach, (washed, stemmed, chopped)
1 small onion finely chopped
1 box chicken stock
3 small potatoes, diced small
3 bay leaves
bunch of parsley, chopped
2 T butter
2 T flour
4 oz cream cheese
4 oz sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of red pepper flakes.
chopped prosciutto

Sauté the onion in the butter. Add and sauté the greens in the butter. Add the flour to create a roux. In a sauce pan, add the chicken stock, potatoes, bay leaves and the sautéed mixture of greens. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are cooked through. Remove the bay leaves. Add the sour cream and cream cheese and use a stick blender and blend the soup until smooth. Add the chopped prosciutto. Can also add half a hardboiled egg to each serving. Can be served warm or cold.

Comments (9)

• 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I grow Bloody Dock and Pale Dock. I know the young leaves of Bloody Dock are edible, but I haven't been eating them. I'd rather eat stinging nettles or lambs quarters. I love soups, and I'll use this recipe if I come upon some Rumex acetosella while foraging in future. My Bloody Dock was under seige by the bloody coralberries, but it's better now.😋🥣

cindy-6b/7a VA thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • 3 months ago

Sorrel grows itself on my allotment but I've never made soup. We don't eat many soups but I have used it in salads.

cindy-6b/7a VA thanked floraluk2
  • 3 months ago

Same as Floral...but I make pesto with mine.

cindy-6b/7a VA thanked rosaprimula UK (Cambridge) Z8/9
  • 3 months ago

It's a cultivated weed for me. It came with the property, I didn't grow it on purpose. I make pesto, soup, salads, stewing greens, occasionally I've dried it. It also makes nice drop compost, I've added it to fertilizer ferments and swamp waters.

cindy-6b/7a VA thanked beesneeds
  • 3 months ago

I started sorrel(I'm assuming rumex acetosa?) from seeds years ago so I can eat it but never actually got around to harvesting it. I moved them to my new house 2 years after I started from seed but is not as vigorous here.. doesn't seed for me either. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I might take some this year if they grow big enough. Right now they are just starting to show new growth and tiny

cindy-6b/7a VA thanked Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
  • 3 months ago

My grandma used to make sorrel soup, so I'd love to make it sometime. But I don't grow it, so unless someone brings it to the farmers market, I'm out of luck.

• 3 months ago

lat62 - Thanks for your recipe as well. It looks delicious, too. I'll have to try it once I have more sorrel.

• 3 months ago

Love the way Richard Olney writes the recipe, especially the wine description.