Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luanne_koskinen79

Can I add stone/brick to front of a sided house?

3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Hello! I want to buy a house, and put stone on the face of it to make it look prettier. I also need to re-do the front steps, because they are sloping inward. The house is up on a huge hill, very steep staircase and it needs to be re-done. Anyone ever done this? Help! The house I'm buying is in East Stroudsburg, PA. Thanks Lu

Comments (18)

• 3 months ago

Showing us the house would certainly help. But typically you want all the elevations to be the same, meaning stone on the front, you put stone all the way around. And adding stone just to add stone often ends up looking like paste and stick who did it and ran.

luanne koskinen thanked millworkman
  • 3 months ago

thanks, just added a pic!

• PRO
    3 months ago

Post a pic of the house honestly . Post here in a comment . DO NOT start another post. Slapped on stone on the front only is always a horrible choice it needs to go all around the house to even begin to look real.

luanne koskinen thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 3 months ago

yes i added a pic above

• PRO
    3 months ago

Wouldn't recommend adding stone to the entire house. IMO would be better to just add a stone base with a watertable around the entire house.

luanne koskinen thanked Norwood Architects
  • 3 months ago

Wow what a beautiful house as is. It already has stone on it, imo no need to add more.

luanne koskinen thanked doods
  • 3 months ago

This house is fine as it is.

If I changed anything with the siding, I would actually take the stone Off the main gable and replace with with siding that matched the rest of the house to make it look even more traditional.

• 3 months ago

No, don't turn your house into a Hollywood set, with nothing behind the facade!

• PRO
    3 months ago

I’m with palimpset, I would remove the existing stone and that arched 90’s window in the foyer that detracts from an otherwise attractive traditional house. Redesign that center section and then add stone steps and walkways.

• 3 months ago

Sounds like you are only considering buying the house? If basing your purchsse on the stone, have you looked into the cost of doing/being able to closely complement? Consider as well: how do you feel about a jarring difference on the sides of the house and were you planning on extending to the garage?

What about “making it prettier” by painting the siding, even removing the shutters, reconsidering the entrance area (pillars/over door), and improving the landscaping. These will be more visually appealing overall, you can do in phases when budget permits, and have had time to look into the best options.

luanne koskinen thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    3 months ago

Your home is lovely DO NOT ADD ANY STONE TO THE HOUSE. That will not fit the style of your home. You could add to the landscaping to change the appearance if you like.

You could change the color of the home, but adding an additional material would be a huge mistake.

luanne koskinen thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 3 months ago

You have a lovely house as is. i would consider adding formal gardens to match the style of your home.

luanne koskinen thanked Anna Devane
  • 3 months ago

Please don't add stone to this house. In fact, I'd put your money into removing the stone that is currently there. It would look much nicer without it. If you are planing on re-doing the stairs in stone again, consider using a local stone. PA has a lot of great options.

luanne koskinen thanked Kendrah
  • 3 months ago

You CAN, but you probably shouldn’t. I agree with everyone else - this house is already too tarted-up.

Think sophisticated and dignified, not “how much stuff can I throw on this house to show off?”

Leave the house alone and hire a professional landscape designer to help mitigate that massive overgrown shrubbery first of all. Use his/her advice to redo the porch floor, steps and walkway with a similar stone or brick or whatever that is on the house already. That would make the stone/brick look not quite so random and out-of-place.

luanne koskinen thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • 3 months ago

I agree I need to hire a professional landscape designer and re-do the porch, steps and walkway. Need ideas on that. Thanks.

• 3 months ago

We can barely see the entryway from the picture you posted (I understand you don’t own it yet) so we don’t know for sure what is needed.

But here’s a picture I pulled off the internet that demonstrates what I was talking about for an entry well-matched to its house.

• PRO
    3 months ago

Some version of this in the center section, though you probably need a wider pair of windows or maybe a Palladian window but match the header and sill height to the rest of the second floor. This is just a close up of Beverly’s picture. It’s a classic house, push it the rest of the way there.