Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hlgraham1

Kohler Riverby white cast iron or Blanco Truffle?

2 months ago

I am trying to decide if the Kohler Riverby workstation sink in white cast iron or Blanco Truffle would look best? Does anyone have the Calacatta Laza and white Kohler Riverby that they could share a photo of? I’m torn because I like the durability aspect of the truffle Blanco, but the looks of the Kohler Riverby. I’m not sure if that white is a close match between the two?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    2 months ago

I dislike any sink other than stainless and workstation ones would always be my last choice cast iron sinks make no sense to me why add that weight ever and if white and coated they chip like crazty. Ther eis a reason they went the way of the dodo they are not functional The wrostation ones are even less functional IMO since every addon requires you to only yhen have 1/2 a sink. A really good quality deep one bowl large stainless sink will last forever andtake all you can throw at it , ther eis a rason they are in commercial kitchens .

• PRO
    2 months ago

Heather:

I'd recommend you order the Truffle sample from Blanco. There are tradeoffs with every sink.

• 2 months ago

Thank you all for your comments. My children are grown so I don’t expect it to have beyond everyday usage.

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

The accessories shown in the photo below (utility rack and grates) are the only accessories that I use in my 3-yo Riverby--they reside in the sink full time along with the dish-soap, sponge and dishrag. There is plenty of room in the Riverby for activity, even with the utility rack in place. The utility rack is primarily used to hold a sponge and dishrag, but sometimes I might air dry something small like a knife on the rack. Earlier, my husband was washing grapes in the colander, while I was washing a dish to the left of him. That is one of the advantages of the sink grates--that I can use dish soap on a dirty dish while my husband is rinsing food at the same time. However, I'm not sure I would like grates if I owned a garbage disposal. I think you might opt to only have one grate on the left side if you wanted a garbage disposal with grates.

I love that Kohler's countertop-template automatically provides a positive reveal for the Riverby. Buying a Pete's Sink Mount, recommended by Joseph Corlett, provides excellent support for the heavy sink, however PSM was a little pricey. Even so, I'm happy I got it.

I've had cast iron sinks for 44 years in three homes. It's what my husband and I prefer because cast iron is white, bright and welcoming, and cast iron makes a lovely peaceful noise when the water is running, and we like that cast iron doesn't get water spots and is so easy to clean and maintain IMO.

Picture of Riverby sink in action:

• 2 months ago

You can get sample chips from Kohler as well. Getting the samples will be the only way to tell, photos online are too variable. Is the quartz you have chosen a bright white?

I love my Riverby sink and appreciate having a white sink.

• 2 months ago

I've had a Blanco silgranite sink for 9 years and love it. It's a double: full size on left, 3/4 size on right with a disposal. I do have bottom grates on both sides.