Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adfrost1

Replacing the kitchen island countertop - light or dark?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We are replacing and expanding the kitchen island. We are also removing the 8'' granite backsplash and adding some sort of tile (subway tile?) backsplash all the way up to the cabinets. What colors would look best on the island and backsplash? I'm not sure we will be able to find the exact matching granite for the island, so would a light (white or tan) granite or a dark granite look best? Also, any suggestions on a coordinating backsplash would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (22)

• 10 years ago
    I would go with a classic white subway tile for your backsplash. I would go with a contrast in island countertop and paint the island white;) Sidenote: sail the greenery out the door;)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Actually, you might be able to find this exact granite, as it is not an unusual one.
    But it's fine to have the island be different. I'd go for white, even marble if you don't mind the maintenance, because it's so great for rolling out piecrusts. Or, you might consider making a portion of the island counter a hardwood cutting surface.
    Finally, concrete is a beautiful and versatile island top material.
    For the tile, my recommendation is to avoid subway tile, which is a dying trend. Instead, use large-format porcelain or glass panels.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi Margo, sorry about the subway tile.... and I agree about the leafy stuff.
  • 10 years ago
    I'm not crazy about mixing two different granites in the kitchen. I don't mind different materials. I have granite on my island and corian on the perimeter of my kitchen. Keep it all the same. Your kitchen is nice but not that big to change the granite colors to two different ones. It will look choppy. I do like the change to subway tile.
  • 10 years ago
    I would try to find a subway tile in one of the colors in the granite. For the island top, I would look for a solid granite in one of the colors in the countertop granite so it ties together.

Plants add warmth and charm to a home. If you like your plant, keep it. It's your home!
  • 10 years ago
    I would go with subway tiles in a cream or white in 2x6 size. Paint the new island in an off white or other color of your choice and top with honed absolute black or wood to near match cabinets. Also, maybe add some glass fronts to your current cabinets to lighten up space?
  • 10 years ago
    lol, I'm getting rid of the green fake plants now. Very affordable kitchen upgrade suggestion ; ) I didnt realize it would be possible to get this same granite for the expanded piece on the island. Ill check into that when we look at countertops. I was considering a different (possibly lighter) countertop because the kitchen seems very brown to me, but I agree it it might look funny to have a different countertop.

We are planning to expand the island out about 1 foot (to the right/into the empty walkway area) and a few inches towards the refrigerator. Im sure we will need to add some legs to support the counter top, but that will let us fit two barstools at the end of the counter
  • 10 years ago
    Subway tiles are not trendy; they are classic. I would do a creamy 2x6 subway. Maybe add some glass fronts to your cabs. Do an off white/creamy island topped with honed absolute black or wood to match stained cabs.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Well, let's remember that 10 or 12 years ago, everyone thought that solid oak cabinetry was classic, built for a lifetime. Then look at the number of posts here daily asking whether to just tear it out, or try to paint it white. Around that same time, majolica vignettes over cooktops were popular, and I don't see those at all any more.

Subway tile has been popular for a couple of years, and I believe it will fluctuate in its popularity. Overall, it will be more "classic" than outright fads like stacked stone and some of the current mosaics.
  • 10 years ago
    I disagree that anyone thought oak cabs were classic. I think they were a popular builder choice. Look at any high end home from 10 years ago- most did painted white cabs.
  • 10 years ago
    I like this picture of the mixed materials;) rest arrow on pic to enlarge
    Cherry Kitchen · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    Why would you replace the existing backspash? There's nothing wrong with it!
  • 10 years ago
    Margo, what is on the perimeter? It doesn't look like granite plus this picture doesn't have a subway tile backsplash. I do like this picture but not sure her kitchen can pull that off.
  • 10 years ago
    I'm probably the only one that likes the leaves (and thinks that a green backsplash would look great)
  • 10 years ago
    It looks like granite to me. The island is called Antique brown. It has subway tile behind the stove, just drag it over with your eyes and put it in the backsplash area. Just tweak it a bit;)) I do think this kitchen could pull that look off !!
  • 10 years ago
    So glad the silk plants are going. Please leave the top of the cabinets empty. They'll look funny to you for a few days, but by the end of a week, I bet you'll love the look.
    My first choice would be to find the same granite and do a simple solid backsplash in one of the lighter colors from the granite (but maybe not white). Subway or glass tile or something simple.
    If you can't find the same granite or would simply prefer a change, I'd choose another material for the island countertop. Something very plain (nearly a solid) so it doesn't fight with the granite on the perimeter. I think a quartz would be a perfect choice. I'd wouldn't go too dark due to the dark cabinets. I'd just take my time to find a great color that works with the existing granite and is very nice with the dark cabinets. There are so many quartz manufacturers and so many colors, you should be able to find a great option.
    Tennisanyone, how funny, I have quartzite on my island and corian on my perimeter. When I got the quartzite, I wasn't sure it would work and I thought I'd have to also replace that perimeter corian, but I really like it.
  • 10 years ago
    I would add some hidden lighting on top the cabinets for ambience;)
  • 10 years ago
    I changed my mind about the backsplash color. With the very dark color in the cabinets and floor, white would be great.
  • 10 years ago
    Another side note. I think a roman shade would look great above your sink window ;) ooh looky, more subway tile ;)))
    Pantry · More Info
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I agree putting a roman shade above the sink, also add some down lighting from on top of the cabinets. Maybe thin the greenery above out and add some pottery.
  • 10 years ago
    Butcher block in maple on island would lighten up the space. Paint the island a color that you like.
    Light colored and even a reflective tile backsplash would be nice. Perhaps a white subway tile that has dimension to it (beveled edge).
    Have fun with it, it's already a great space!