Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mhov1

One large bathroom space vs separate toilet/shower & vanity areas?

mhov1
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

Hi, we are planning a remodel of a hallway bathroom (11x7 ft) that is shared by three boys (currently young, but plan to be used well into their teenagers years). Currently it is split into two sections, with a double vanity in one area and the tub/shower & toilet in the other with a useless pocket door. Aesthetically, I prefer one large room, but functionally, should we keep it two separate sections? The bathroom has no windows, so no natural lighting, which can make the space look small and dark. Also, I find pocket doors not very useful, so would be looking to change it to a standard 24 inch door. Those in a similar situation with several kids sharing only one bathroom, what have you found to be most useful? Thanks in advance for any advice.

pictures of current, crammed outdated bathroom:

editing to include a rough, amateur sketch with measurements, and picture of tub/toilet section:

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

I think your instincts are correct--renovating it into one large room would probably be better than the arrangement you have now. And unlike girls, boys aren't going to be spending all that much time in the bathroom.

You will also gain some inches by removing the wall and door. Post the entire space, with all dimensions marked, to get better advice on how to set it up.

• mhov1
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you so much for your advice! ive edited the original post to include the dimensions.

• Mrs Pete
    12 days ago

Aesthetically, I prefer one large room, but functionally, should we keep it two separate sections?

That's quite a large bathroom! Definitely make it into one large room. Divided bathrooms give you two smaller rooms to keep clean, which is more work and you have to work around the door. Three can definitely share one bathroom ... consider that this is more space and more privacy than they'll have in a college dorm one day.

The bathroom has no windows, so no natural lighting, which can make the space look small and dark.

Do you have anything above this bathroom? If not, could you add a couple solar tubes to bring in some natural light?

Also, I find pocket doors not very useful, so would be looking to change it to a standard 24 inch door.

Totally agree that pocket doors are not useful in bathrooms ... though they're great for a pantry or a laundry room. If you do keep the door, definitely go with something larger than a 24" door. One day your boys will be man-sized, and that 24" door will be small for them. Also, at some point you'll need to change out the toilet or the shower doors or whatever, and you'll appreciate having a larger door.

And unlike girls, boys aren't going to be spending all that much time in the bathroom.

Stereotypes (in both directions) aren't always truthful. I grew up in a 3-boy /2-girl household ... 5 kids sharing one bathroom. I don't remember any difference in the time we spent in the bathroom ... but we each had a spot in the bedrooms for doing hair, etc.

My thoughts on this project:

- Yes to one large room.

- Are the vanities /the big cabinet staying? They look to be fairly new. If they're being replaced, I'd go with ALL STORAGE behind the door ... and keep it a little shallow for ease of finding things.

- Consider where your trash can will be placed.

- In addition to storage of towels and cleaning products, be sure each boy has his own storage space; this may not matter to them now, but it will matter once they're teens, and they have more toiletry items. With this much space, they should all be able to have a good drawer by the sink for deodorant, razors, and whatever else as they grow older.

- I don't see any point in multiple sinks.

- If you do keep multiple sinks, get the one out from behind the door. Poor placement.

- With three boys, I'd consider losing the tub /going with a large shower across the back wall. Give them a hand-held shower fixture to make cleaning the shower easy. Include niches or shelves for their shampoo, etc. Double the storage space you think you'll need in the shower.

- Consider where their towels will hang. Be sure they can easily reach their towels from the shower.

- In an adult bathroom I'd vote for a shower curtain, but -- with three boys -- the cumbersome glass door is probably the better option.

- With three boys, I'd consider keeping the toilet and maybe adding a urinal. It's a quicker-use item, and you have the space.

• kayozzy
    12 days ago

Removing the walls will really not add any room, it will just appear bigger. I wouldn't remove it. Right now it allows someone to use the toilet while someone else is shaving or doing their hair. The current hairstyles require some time for some boys. Who knows what the style will be when they are older.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

I would keep the two separate rooms. Fewer arguments in the future.

I'd also consider a trough sink for boys

• houssaon
    11 days ago

I would keep it two rooms. Privacy becomes more of an issue as they grow up.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I'd just make a good bath. Time flies, and there is a thing long forgotten called sharing. If you don't need a tub, which NO growing teen wants, lose it.

Insisting on a toilet room is fine in a big bath - this isn't "big". It is a bit larger than a standard issue 5 x 8 where one person is a crowd! It's compounded with a centered entry door....and as the boys leave the house one by one? You will realize a nice open bath with a generous bathing/shower experience is nicer.

A toilet......is anyone incapable of a few minute wait? There's no powder room in an "emergency" lol? Do three boys all need to brush teeth at the exact same moment?

You'll have to forgive me, but I grew up in five person house with three girls. ONE 6 x 9 bath and nobody was ever late for school. Dad got first dibs. We got vanity tables in our rooms.

Truth is even a four year old can shower : ) add a second shower head , lower or a good handheld on a slide bar.

More doors and "separation" just cramp the space.

You'll have 42 inches between the vanities

Keep the linen to 18" depth and you have 39" from toilet to linen.

A great view of a great tile on on a fantastic shower at entering.

Bottom line? I'd do this with nothing crowded, (it's also a super guest bath) or just leave it alone: )

• mmc429
    11 days ago

24” door is very narrow! Have to enter at an angle.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County