Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_88054

Kitchen window too high?

8 years ago
Somehow our window is 50" inches to the glass from the floor....my husband and I are tall, so it doesn't bother us much but if a shorter person is at our home in the kitchen will it look odd? Is there a "right" height for a window above the sink?

Our cabinets will flank the window up to the ceiling, so I wonder if we will notice it much once everything is in? Ugh....

Comments (15)

• 8 years ago

Well, even a 5-foot person is 60" tall, and would thus have no problem looking out that window!

it's probably a little higher than average for over a sink -- you'll have a foot or so between counter and window ledge, while 4-6 inches is more common -- but with today's high faucets and so forth, I wouldn't sweat it. There are surely enough other things...

• 8 years ago

I'd live with it. A few inches isn't going to matter, and once the kitchen is done, very few people will even notice it if you don't point it out.

• 8 years ago
    Thank you!!! I was really hoping not to set us back a day:)
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Someone signed off on the size of this window. Your counter will be 36" tall. So there will be 12" between the top of the counter and the frame around the window. A bit higher than you see in this photo.

I would have liked a window that was about 40" above the floor, but that is my preference.

• PRO
    8 years ago

There is no standards set for the window height above the counter, and as long as your window allows you to get at least 4" or more of space between the counter and the window, that is the basic height builders/designers are shooting for. In your case you will have a few extra rows of tile, unless its really bothering you and you go for a taller window or bring your existing window down.

On the general note it's not a big deal, your counter-top height is 36" so you will end up with a 14" space, which is a bit higher then usual, but the good thing is, the water will not splash on your window.

Furthermore, with different types of Faucets available on the market today and sinks which come in many shapes and sizes which cause the Faucet position to be pushed closer to the back wall, causing window sill get in the way of Faucet operation, so a little extra room can be helpful.

Good luck.

AmyS Skeoch thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • 8 years ago

After reading your post I got looked more closely at my kitchen window, and it's a good 12" above the countertop. I love it that way as I have my backsplash tile and wide there that add a lot of personality to the kitchen.

I think a lot of the homes in my subdivision have the kitchen window a foot above the top of the counter.

AmyS Skeoch thanked hayleydaniels
  • 8 years ago

Thank you for your comments. I think it will be fine the way it is...and my facet is a taller one so I think it will look great.

• 8 years ago

whats nice about a taller window is the view of the sky. i love looking up and out at treetops, so i wouldnt consider it a negative at all how yours ended up placed.

also, your window treatment will be less exposed to splashes of (less than clean) dish water.

all for the good. unless your view is out and down, to a lake say. then i'd swap it for a taller window instead of just moving it down.

• PRO
    8 years ago

The key is seeing the potential a room has. We have some really great design ideas in our idea books! Please feel free to check them out. We would love to answer any questions and help you envision the space of your dreams. (Don't forget to follow our profile for future inspirations!)

• 2 years ago

Anyone has a window that is taller than the height of the upper cabinets? Can you post a pic? Thanks

• 2 years ago

I am wondering about the height of an over tie sink window. i want to go higher than the top of the wall cabinets.. Llooking for pictures or opinions and advice concerning this

• 11 months ago

I’m building a home and will be putting a 4’4’ window above the sink. The cabinets are 36” from the floor. The wall is 9’ high. So I’m thinking I will have 1’ from ceiling to top of window and 1’ from bottom of window to cabinets. Anyone have pics they can share of their window over sink, with dimensions? :)

• 11 months ago

My window sill is 9” above my 36” high counter. Because I have a triple window, I don’t feel that it is too high. I think the width of mine makes up for what I can’t see. I am 4’11” tall. I will say that in some ways I wish I had more space above my sink because my faucet handle needs to clear the sill that sticks out. I can’t have a tall faucet unless I remove the sill or notch it out! So…stick with what you have!

• 11 months ago

Mine is much lower, and honestly I splash my window trim everyday! I wish ours was higher. You’ll be happy with it!