Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinedunton01

Suggestions for flooring replacement in a manufactured home.

Have a 2500 sq foot manufactured home and need new flooring. Any suggestions? Areas very large.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    8 years ago

Manufactured home as in a "mobile home" or a new line manufactured home that looks like a house?

What is your subfloor? Mobile homes are famous for having low end particle board laid under lino and carpet. This is the single largest factor you will have to deal with: a bad subfloor.

The value of the home also must be taken into consideration. I've seen $300K manufactured homes...and I've seen $60K double wides with your square footage. Choice of material will be a reflection of the overall value of the home.

Example: do NOT install solid hardwood in a $60K double wide. Do not install peel-and-stick vinyl tiles in a $300K home. Appropriate materials are dictated by function AND value of home.

Where you live also dictates flooring choice...vinyl in some areas of the country is a "no-no". Other areas work better with carpet. You haven't offered enough information.

Photos, age/value of the home plus a basic idea of where you are will help.

• 8 years ago

I do not know very much about this home as I just moved in. Built in 1999, palm Harbor home with many extras according to my insurance guy. Cost would be $160,000 to rebuild not including land

I will pull up carpet to see what is underneath.

Thank you for the info.

Catherine

• PRO
    8 years ago

So this is a decent, newer model home (not a mobile home). With a decent set of options in a decent price range (not cheap but not super expensive). Are you looking for "whole home" flooring (kitchen, bathroom, entranceways, laundry room, etc) or are you looking at "living space" flooring (bedrooms, living, dining, hallway)? Are you replacing only the carpeted areas...or are you looking to swap it all out and make it unified?

What are your requirements for a floor? Must it look "perfect" (that would indicate ceramic/porcelain tile...or vinyl) or can it take on a patina (nice way of saying "aged") like engineered hardwood, carpet, cork, lino or laminate?

Do you have chemical sensitivities? Medical concerns that lead you to a softer finish (like cork, lino or vinyl) or a low off-gassing floor? Do you have a flooring budget or a preference? Do you want wood, laminate, vinyl, cork, engineered hardwood or more carpet? Do you want ceramic or porcelain or stone?

• 8 years ago

All areas are carpeted now, including bathrooms and kitchen. Want to start with bathrooms first. Probably vinyl but need to check under carpet first to see condition. That is all my budget can handle for now. I want to do 4 bedrooms next. The kitchen, family room, eating nook, formal living room, formal dining last. I would like wood or laminate not really sure about chemical part. Just want something that is warm feeling and probably aged look. I like the shabby look, casual, functional all usable space.

Including a few pictures of family room and kitchen.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Since you wish to do this in stages, I will let you in on a secret: purchase all the material AT ONCE...and install as your budget allows. The bathrooms and kitchen may be a separate issue...if you work with vinyl planks you can do everything in one finish.

The "shelf life" for manufactured flooring = 2 years. And you won't
    know how long that particular laminate/vinyl has been sitting on the
    self. Neither you nor the retailer will know when it will be
    discontinued. Purchasing piece meal means you run the VERY HIGH risk of discontinued materials.

If you decide to work with laminate in the rest of the home (and vinyl in the bath/kitchen) then I suggest you look at vinyl that looks like stone or tile...do not do a wood look vinyl that sits next to a wood look laminate. It looks REALLY bad.

We've had DOZENS of Houzzers try to do things in stages only to complain, "Help. The floor I bought 1 year ago no longer exists! How do a finish the rest of my house???? I don't want to buy "new" all over again! Help! Help! Help!"

Sigh.

Your project is destined to go the same way (Help! I can no longer find the same floor) if you purchase individually like you want. You will have to purchase 3 different products/looks for your three phases of installation. If this is OK with you, then go for it. If it sounds like heartache waiting to happen, then please take the time to purchase ENOUGH of your "main flooring" and then install it as you have the budget.

As for the bathroom subfloor....I would guess it needs to be replaced. Carpet never protects subfloors from damage...never. The kitchen may be OK...but it could be in rough shape. I would budget in new subfloor for those two areas. That way you won't be surprised/upset/financially stretched should you need new subflooring.

Please take the next 2 weeks to decide what the FINAL outcome is going to be (colours/materials/local retailers with samples). Then move forward and purchase what you can. Put it in storage and then go ahead and install as you get the money.

Floating a laminate or floating a vinyl floor over top of particle board is normally acceptable (most vinyl will allow it...a few won't). If you want warm, you can look at cork floating flooring. They accept a particle board subfloor quite happily...so long as it is flat and even (all floors need flat and even...so be careful with that).

And engineered hardwood is not happy with particle board. Even when floated it normally requires plywood or OSB. Most people want nail in place hardwood = NEW SUBFLOOR THROUGHOUT = very expensive (add $1/sf for carpet removal/disposal + $1/sf for subfloor removal + $2/sf for subfloor install). That's an extra $3/sf JUST to get a subfloor in place. The carpet removal is going to be a constant amount...so that stays the same. You still need a floor after that.

If you can work with the current subfloor (minus kitchen and bath) you are WAY AHEAD of the game financially. Make your choices based upon that.