Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beebs_bb

Advice Needed - Ways to Block Wind

7 years ago
Looking for advice/ideas on how to block the wind when on my patio. Recently I closed on my townhome which was buildt next to an open farm field. I am an end unit on the edge of the development. For some reason the builder did not put fencing on the end units, which leaves my patio open to strong winds blowing across the open field. Anyone have suggestions for temporary type fencing iI could try? Since its an association, I am not allowed to plant or build any permanent structures.

Comments (19)

• 7 years ago
    Buy several large pots or build some large wooden containers and plant tall shrubs or small trees in them to help block the wind.
  • 7 years ago

you arent allowed to plant a line of trees? i'd move.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Get some large planters and put trees in those. Technically it's not a permanent structure.

• 7 years ago
    Thanks for the tips. Back in September I asked for either some tall schrubs or a section of fence added to the edge. I have a puppy and standing out in the cold wind is no fun. There was zero response from the temporary association in place. Even talked to the superintendent in the project and have just been given the run around.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Why is it that you are without a fence and the rest have a fence? Is there a specific reason for that? If not, then find out who did the other fences and here them to replicate it for you. Or wait until the association gets around to it.

• 7 years ago

I don't know if this would be allowed or would even work with your patio, but would something like this work? The first one is on rollers...so not really permanent? Also, I feel your pain on this. I live near open fields as well, the breeze that comes through is overpowering. I live in the south, so am thankful for it in the summer, but not the rest of the year.

• 7 years ago
    One the builder is done building them the HOA will be taken over by he homeowners-it may be tough to wait it out since it could take years for the transition but don't despair if you can't make any changes yet.
  • 7 years ago
    I think the rolling garden wall is a great idea!
  • 7 years ago
    Epecially if its a portable structure and not firmly anchored, whatever barrier you end up with, I suggest something somewhat permeable. The best windbreaks allow some air through. A solid fence would result in turbulence behind it. And you wouldn't want your lovely rolling garden wall dashing off to your neighbors in a high wind.
  • 7 years ago

I would go back to the builder or the temporary association. Put your request for a fence or trees in writing, and call every week to follow up. Don't give up, because it really isn't right not to have some sort of wind break there.

• 7 years ago

Great advice from Calidesign. You have a better shot getting this done with builder/temp HOA. Once the permanent HOA is up they are not going to want to spend $$ on a fence for you. If they don't respond I would talk to a real estate HOA attorney. It can be expensive but getting someone to write a strongly worded letter might help and would be cheaper than moving. In some states HOAs are required to respond in x number of days.

• 7 years ago

i grew up on a farm... my dad planted windbreaks of evergreens between each large field. you will have so much dirt blowing in your face come summer otherwise. its completely unacceptable to live there with no buffer.

• 7 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I followed up on my original email (sent back in September) to the temporary association. Followed up via email yesterday.. still awaiting any response.
  • 7 years ago

i can understand that the association wants to regulate what goes on between units but really being on the edge you need some protection and privacy.

• 7 years ago
    nnigrt...you're right! Its my understanding that the farmer hasn't sold that plot of land and will continue to farm.. which is great, but having either a row of evergreens or a fence would help a lot.

I will become the squeeky wheel
  • 7 years ago

hoping an oil can comes your way soon.

• 7 years ago

i know... you could say they have to pay for it... and then back off and say 'ok, i'll pay for it'. they'll feel like they are getting a deal.

reminds me of a story.... people put fridge on the curb, with FREE sign. 2 days later, fridge still there. they put a new sign on it '$5 please leave money on porch' an hour later the fridge is gone, no money on porch.

• PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It would have been a good idea to address this before closing on the home...when you have the pending sale as leverage :/

At this point, I wouldn't let the builder off the hook! They worked with the association or made the decision or followed some rule to include fencing with end units in this tract. Get answers and speak with whoever made this silly choice. Is there an easement on the farmer's property? Was it done for aesthetic reasons? Do those reasons outweigh your trouble? Is there any possibility that this can lower your property value? Less secure? Broken windows due to winds/debris? Less than ideal unit for pet owners or those with small kids... Your unit should not suffer a loss of value compared to other similar units.

If other end units have also been purchased, I might talk with your neighbors and see if you can't approach this as a group? Strength in numbers...

Do you have a copy of the CC&Rs? Find out what they say and what you are allowed to do. Look for your loophole...

Also, is this in a master-planned community with a board or association that oversees the smaller HOA? Are there other townhome neighborhoods in this master plan that do have fences on end units facing the fields?

Good luck!