justwantapool

Help picking Fabrics and other fun

justwantapool

I finally have a dining table and chairs and wm ready to choose some fabrics! I have these 8 vintage black chairs that need new seat covers and I want to add some drapes in the dining room.

I have a semi-open concept in that the Dining room is in the middle between the living room (more formal-ish) and the kitchen/family room combo (more casual space).

I am going for a Tropical/British colonial/palm beach feel throughout my house. Thinking Tropical glam for the dining room.

What do do y’all think of this fabric combo?

Palm leaf fabric for drapes and black & white small leopard print for the chair seats.

Fabrics

Buy the Genevieve Gorder Hojas Cubanas Rainforest Home Décor Fabric at Michaels · More Info

Premier Prints Lawson Sable - Discount Designer Fabric - Fabric.com · More Info

My mockup

Comments (3.3K)

• Lidia

I’ve gone to hobby lobby and went to their scrapbooking section and bought fabulous paper and cut it to fit inside my black shades. It’s fun to do a Great color, glittered lime, swirled orange . . . It’s a cheap way to play with your decor and add something unexpected to jazz up shades.

justwantapool thanked Lidia
    Flo Mangan

Foils work better and less fire hazard! We can see both shades and without and compare.

Home Interiors with Ease

Check the shade size too..they might be a bit big...should be more of the candlestick showing..the candlestick that shows should not be shorter than the length of the shade.

• justwantapool

I don’t think LEDs are the same fire hazard as bulbs of yore Flo. ;)

ill meaaure candlestick part julie.

Pink (is that you?) I do like the light without the shades. But when DH holds it up it’s just sort of bare in the air.

but I’d also love to save that money. So maybe I hang it (saving all kinds of wire and chain in the ceiling) and wait until the room is more finished to decide.

Thats 6 chairs of fabric right there!

Home Interiors with Ease

I think that is a great idea Pool..you may paint or wallpaper a wall so it may be nice for it to stay open and airy..it is so pretty.

• Kim

Hahahaha bulbs of yore!

• Susan N

Following...

And I love the neutral zebra on your chairs and your chandy!

• Molly

Return the shades and use the money for the seat fabric. The shades are a finishing touch that can be added later. Glad you like the neutral zebra. :)

• frostedsleet

Love the satin bulbs Flo recommends to many of us. Hope you don’t mind Flo? Maybe try those before adding shades after chandelier is in place? I do think Julie is correct...that the size of shades may be too big? Love chandelier with or without shades. Definitely add a dimmer switch. Still waiting for my Bro to add mine on new Lucca. Also, I love that zebra fabric if you go that route.

Flo Mangan

I am not an LED fan for soft romantic lighting. Have quite a stash of lovely Incandescent bulbs. The wrapped ones are especially nice for no shade chandeliers because they look pretty on or off.

• Ellen Tracy

Nobody asked me but I too like the chandy without shades! And I like the neutral zebra on the chairs.

• shwshw

Love the neutral zebra.

• greenfish1234

Ha ima another vote for no shades. The black kind of mirrors the black leaves on the drapes too much.

Flo Mangan

I am betting you will want the shades mainly to give the fixture that final touch between the living room and family room. You don’t see drapery with these lines of sight and the fixture is so visually “light weight” I think you will need the shades but I could be wrong.

• Seajay Sparkles

I don’t think it’s a fair evaluation of shades with the chandelier sitting on the floor right in front of the drapes. Will be best to see hanging up or at least held up over the table. Don’t like those particular shades because of the color gold. So returning them is a good idea but can we see the chandelier held up over the table to decide whether you should reorder different shades or no shades.

• Seajay Sparkles

Flo’s bulbs, FYI.

• justwantapool

I can try and sneak those in, but my husband is pretty adamant about LEDs.

• justwantapool

and yes, tonight I'll have him hold it over the table and take a pic.

• justwantapool

seajay what site is your screenshot from?

• Kim

If you are still planning to use black shades on the chandelier, something like this would be less busy than the others and give the detail needed so they don't look like the leaves in the curtains as GF pointed out. You could add a gold cord or paint gold trim.

• justwantapool

thanks kim! Where are those from?

SJ, I found those bulbs. Also found these that are LED good? they are dimmable

LED Chandelier Bulb - Tinted - Bulbrite 776803 | 1000Bulbs.com · More Info

• greenfish1234

Good idea Kim-or maybe in a natural, the color of the zebra stripes?

• Kim

The photos I posted are of chandeliers that came with those shades. When I searched for something similar, all I could find was this...which is why DIY. ; ) I thought they gold bands were a little too thick, but they're still nice if you aren't into another project.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgradelights-Chandelier-Sconce-Shades-Barrel/dp/B00PCPF58U

Also, here are some ideas for embellishing the herons frame. These little doo-dads are called onlays or appliques and you would have to figure out sizing for your frame. I fell down the rabbit hole on amazon. I was really just trying to find something simple to add to the corners like these (frame samples from a framing store), but ended up finding all kinds of other ornate options.

https://www.amazon.com/Glass-figurines-Picture-Frame-Unpainted/dp/B07V83CMLT/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=picture+frame+onlay&qid=1565795424&s=home-garden&sr=1-4

Here, you can add to each corner and center one at top..

You could add something to each side...

You could have just one piece along center top...

One of these in each corner to give it a little curve...

Theses little minis from etsy might do the trick since your frame is narrow...

• Seajay Sparkles

Good Pool. Glad you found them. I think that’s a brilliant idea to add a little gold trim to the shade. Make sure the bulb is SOFT white. My DH got LEDs and that we’re just DAYLIGHT and they were horrible and bright!

karen paul interiors

Is it my monitor or is that last zebra pulling just a little toward the French green in the draperies? If it is actually is as it appears then Pool you have a hit! Keeps things light and lends warmth. All good!

Home Interiors with Ease

Pool what is the shade size you have now? :) found some contenders but want to check size first..

• justwantapool

Dimensions for current shades:

Dimensions:
    Overall: 5 1/2"H X 5 1/4" Diameter w/3 3/4" Top Diameter

• justwantapool

Karen, that last zebra I posted last night is a tan/brownish-goldish color. no green. A little more brown than my gold-ish sofas.

• justwantapool

Kim, thanks for the frame ideas!

Maybe I'll start with trying for a darker richer wood tone and see how that looks. should be pretty easy. Then could add some gold r&b to it.

• Kim

I had never heard of Rub n Buff. Since you started your dilemma six months ago, I have learned that it must be a gift from the gods. Lol

• justwantapool

haha it is the easiest thing to use ever. you just rub it on with your finger and buff a little and voila!

Design Interior South

Yes its me. I think Julie is on to something here about shade size. But not only that, shade shape. I think something a bit more updated like a barrel shape might keep it a little fresher if you choose to go the shade route. Still love it without but think if you are doing it they need more of an updated look https://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Inch-Retro-Barrel-Drum-Clip-on-Chandelier-Lampshade-Black/350317769?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=100001325&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9009658&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=126920836&wl11=online&wl12=350317769&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn4KQkJKD5AIV6v7jBx2y6QQBEAQYDiABEgIV3fD_BwE

whoa long link This shape but in black.

Retro Barrel 5" Drum Clip-on Chandelier Lampshade, Eggshell, Set of 6 · More Info

Flo Mangan

If you use shades, those leds work. I have them in master bath with no shades. Not my fav but they were here when we moved in and I am living with them.

Flo Mangan

R and b is my best friend! So easy to get new look with little effort and cost! Not for fabrics though.

• Kim

No, not fabrics. We were talking about the frame for the herons. I actually prefer a wood tone.

• greenfish1234

Ooh DIS I like the idea of the lighter colored barrel shades

Home Interiors with Ease

Length is better on these...

• justwantapool

i like those prices better too. I'm sending these back tomorrow. But first I'll take a pics from all directions of DH holding it up

• greenfish1234

I’m feeling like the black shades lack the loose, casual feel that works so well with the BC look

Home Interiors with Ease

It does make it look a bit more traditional/formal..With the black shades...I think it is so pretty with all the details on it......white may be less formal..?

• Molly

Any update on fabric choice?

• lorig2828

I just read every single post on this thread over the last hour, hoping to see the final reveal. So disappointed lol. Any updates?

This was a fun read.

• licksch

Lol... you are a person with stamina!

I know I’ve been waiting for the final reveal myself. The plot thickens.

• lorig2828

I questioned my sanity more than once at gluten free recipes.

• licksch

Hahaha... indeed.

• greenfish1234

LMAO lorig!

• lorig2828

Greenfish, I kept saying I was not going to have an opinion, but if fabric hasn't been decided on I cant help myself.

while my first choice would absolutely be anything from the original "blue inspo board", I also think the zebra choice boarders on theme-y. Like rainforest cafe. This is coming from someone who has an animal print somewhere in every room except the kitchen.

just my opinion of course, I think a mudcloth inspired black and white or indigo blue would be a better choice. I did include a zebra by Bryant ind. just because it is a less expensive option than the one chosen and it is outdoor fabric, so will hold up. A Large scale cheeta or leopard, like the cut velvet from opuzen (my FAVORITE all time animal print) similar to the one shown.
    I also added a textured indigi solid with drapery trim down the center since that was discussed. Chair seats are the easiest upholstery jobs to diy and change as much as you wish.

I can not wait to see your selections

• greenfish1234

EVERYONE should have an opinion!! That leopard is to die for. I just came across this: so many ways to tie the colors together in pillow form.

• licksch

That is exactly why I am addicted to pillows.

They are so much fun and the colour range and possibility for a pattern mixing is unlimited.

That blue fabric with the stripe down the middle is one I could actually get behind, as a choice.

Home Interiors with Ease

Still love blue!:)))

Hi JWAP....hope all is well