Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_489629704

Ranch style home curb appeal ideas

2 months ago

Hello all,
Looking for ideas to help freshen up the look of my husband's childhood home which is now our forever home :) I know it needs landscaping help and a new front door. I love the feel of cottage style/meadow/informal style gardens and will be going with a native plant garden (We live in Southern Ontario). Also thinking a sage green front door with a large window as the current one allows no natural light into our foyer. But I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks so much :)

Comments (28)

• 2 months ago

I would do a walkway across the front to the entry, and low plantings between the walkway and porch. How wide is the porch?

• 2 months ago

The porch is 6 1/2' wide and approx 41' long

• PRO
    2 months ago

What style do you like inside . To me this is mostly ranch MCMish . I love MCM so my choice would be play that up with great landscaping to suit that style I aslo would be painting the siding to work much better with the brick and stone . Maybe a bronze type color and this is my fave for MCM landscaping and take note od the style of the door and garage door . A walkway to the front door is where you start and IMO a cottage garden with this home not a great idea.I use this for inspiration no need to be exactly the same but IMO would suit your house

• 2 months ago

Ooo I like the idea of painting the siding in the gable because I dislike the white. I honestly didn't know you could paint siding. I will look into that. And inside is eclectic I guess. A mix of modern and vintage/antique. I will start with the walkway.. I don't love the landscaping in this pic, all the stone doesn't feel super gardeny to me haha I love flowers and greenery but I'll keep the door styles in mind. Thanks for the suggestions! @PatriciaColwellConsulting

• PRO
    2 months ago

Your front yard requires some TREES!!!!

All the details on the ranch are not pushing you towards the cottage style. The rock wall, the casement windows, and the metal roof are all more contemporary details.

• 2 months ago

So this is the view of our property from the porch and I really don't want to block the views with trees. We actually have lots around the property but not in the direct front yard so we can see the fields and pond etc.

• 2 months ago

I think you need trees, too. You can site a clump of birch or a smallish flowering tree or two without ruining your view.

Read up on meadow gardens. You need to smother your grass and start with plugs. They are often done as a matrix, with a base layer, seasonal interest plants and some special plants.

Fine Gardening has done a bunch of articles on this over the years.

How to Design a Meadow Garden Everyone Will Love (houzz.com)

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Where is the curb? You're not showing the house from the curb. If you want curb appeal, we need to see the house from that angle....please include photos taken from the road.

• 2 months ago

There is no curb haha We are on 75 acres down a dead end road with a 1 km long driveway..The whole house is surrounded by fields..The best "curb" photo is the one looking at it kind of from the left hand side of the photo..Thats from the angle of the driveway...Where the front doors are to the right hand side

• 2 months ago

The very last photo is the "curb" one @tracefloyd

• 2 months ago

@tracefloyd The shipping container is our summer project...Will not be staying there..Unfortunately I don't have any before we put it there

• 2 months ago

Hopefully these are okay. The driveway will be getting redone just fyi. We have the stone my husband just has to find the time to grade it and get stone on it

• 2 months ago

This is the view behind the shipping container which is the main view of the house coming down the driveway

• 2 months ago

@tracefloyd

• 2 months ago

You could use a low fence in front of the cars to create a sense of enclosure, The length of the parking. The gate or opening would be at the garage with a path to the front door.

You could add some nice flowering bushes to the side of the garage. A medium/small tree could go where the container is.

• 2 months ago

I like that idea and actually mentioned the fence idea to my husband the other day because I do feel like the parking area and lawn need some separation...I was thinking armour stones but a fence would look lovely..Also never thought to do shrubs beside garage 🤦‍♀️ I have a bunch of native grasses I was going to plant there but could add a couple shrubs...The bees and butterflies will appreciate it

• 2 months ago

Thank you @tracefloyd

• 2 months ago

Sounds nice, I'm so pleased. What about a trellis on the far wall? Some lusher planting to create a sense of enclosure on that corner.

• 2 months ago

Omg I would love that 😍

• PRO
    2 months ago

What about extending out the patio? With that view, I would sit out there for hours.

I also like the idea of some sort of separation or definition of the parking area.

• 2 months ago

So I wanted to do a wooden extended deck but for various reasons (all valid even though I was disappointed) it's not going to work. I never thought about doing a patio though at lawn level and then having a couple stairs going down to it from the porch...Thanks @DebbiWashburn! I love our porch and the view but it's all shady under here haha and I want to be able to sit in the sun so that's a wonderful (and slightly more cost effective) idea :)

• 2 months ago

A section of fence the same as the parking area on each side of the entry drive. Dwarf Cherry trees are the pink but could be any medium/small tree.

• 2 months ago

• 2 months ago

Thank you so much @tracefloyd ....Love the idea of the trees on either side of the driveway with the fence and the walkway to the chicken coop....Might have to talk my husband into a couple of these ideas haha But he usually gets on board once I explain how nice everything will look :)

• 2 months ago

Paint the drain pipe the color of the brick so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb

• 2 months ago

^^^Yes, the white downspouts should not contrast with the structure they attach to.

• PRO
    2 months ago

It's quite a nice house! It is rather long and linear. Would be great if there was an element to break up the long fascade. Would you consider adding a porch with a gable roof at the bay window? If you were to do something like that would think the gable wouldn't have to be too wide. A more narrow porch might allow you to have a steeper pitch on the roof. Good luck!