Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ange_clark

Are body jets in a shower worth installing?

10 years ago
Remodelling our master bathroom and love the idea of body jets but have never used them. For an additional $500 I'm wondering if they are worth it? Any recommendations would be great!

Comments (64)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    Having only had Body Jets for one week now I am so sold. I love them. To share way to much info with you they do a great job of rinsing off your back side (front side too for that matter).

Who needs a bidet for a proper cleaning when you have body jets in your shower!

I think this would be a handy option for people as they grow old.

I got six of these bad boys going in my new master shower;

Round Sheer Body Jet · More Info
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I wanted to try out different set ups and measure the pressure of each. So my body jets are hooked up "Red Neck Fashion"

No Curb or No Dam Shower's featuring Barrier Free Bathrooms (No-Hob): RED NECK S · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/29647903/thumbs/How-to-Build-a-Red-Neck-Shower
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think those kinds of things always seem cool in the beginning, but useless after a few months. (tub jets, shower jets, etc.)

If you live in hard water area, it is more stuff to clean, and get clogged. Also, use lots of water.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I worried about that as well. I ran all three thinking I would be out of water in seven minutes but it did not happen. What I like about the Hudson Reed body jet design is that it can be easily cleaned with out removing the entire body jet assembly.

That was a great design idea.

The trick with the body jets is to run them a second before you get under. I was having a shower with my wife the other night and I blasted her with a cold dosing.... Not a happy Mommy!!! lol
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    There are a few things you have to keep in mind when it comes to adding body jets. Water pressure is your biggest enemy. If you don't have enough water pressure the body jets will not really add any value to the shower experience. Also, you have to make sure you have a large enough water heater to provide enough warm water to power everything for the whole time you are in the shower. A continuous hot water heater is really worth looking into to tackle that issue.

Ultimately you need to make sure when you set up your shower system, you take these things into consideration. Read more on setting up a shower system http://faucetlist.com/blog/Shower-Systems.html - if you do it properly a shower system can really add a lot of benefit to you and a lot of value to your home.

As noted above, shower jets etc. may seem gimmicky but what about a second shower head? A shower system is more than just body jets. You can have ceiling mount shower head, a wall mount showerhead, and a handheld shower. Definitely there are scenarios where you would really get a ton of use out of a full shower system http://faucetlist.com/Delta-Shower-Systems/
  • 9 years ago
    I just stayed in a hotel with body jets. It was novel, but really seemed a bit silly. I think I'd spend my money on something else.
  • 9 years ago

my husband wants to do a rain shower, handheld, and 4 body sprays. the design we have come up with the shower is only 66 x 36. The door will be on the left hand side and then there will be 2 body sprays further along wall to the right underneath the rain shower. Any advice, is this too much. I don't want the rain shower to operate at the same time as handheld ( to limit excessive water use.) . Can a hand held be a good substitute for a wall shower for those days I don't want to wash my hair. Thanks for any advice.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Yes it can. You are describing pretty much the exact shower I'm building now. Except we staked four body jest in a row. Two groups of two. You will see some pictures of work shortly when we flow test and pressure test the system.

Are you looking to stay warm from the jets or get a massage? I did a lot of testing and loved the pressure from two jests best for my homes water pressure and hot water tank size.

Careful how you plan the piping since this can affect the performance.

You will want to be able to run the jets before entering the shower as well. Plan this well in the placement of the flow valves.

[Have you seen this idea book?[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-place-shower-controls-for-bathing-bliss-stsetivw-vs~4690224) It covers plumbing layout. And old story of mine from a couple years back.

• PRO
    9 years ago

It's a matter of personal preference. It is imperative to have good water pressure.

• 9 years ago

If you have the money for them I say go for them ,look at it this way ,these are things that you don't purchase often and as the years go by our bodies will eventually need some sort of relief from aches and pains , so why not !

• 9 years ago

i didnt go down that road because i wanted a walk in doorless shower and so stuck with rain head and handheld. maybe i'm wrong and it could have worked but it wasnt high enough on my list to find out.

• 9 years ago

If you think you want them and can afford the $500 then I would go ahead and get them. It would cost a lot more than $500 to retrofit them as you would have to redo tile etc.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Listen to the 2 comments in regards to water pressure. Have someone come out and do a pressure test.

• 9 years ago

Thanks John, I will have my husband check out that site, it will be helpful indeed as he is doing all the work himself. We have finally decided on a layout for overall room so down to the details . I did check about water pressure, and we have very good pressure so that won't be a problem, and I am worried about having enough hot water . I would like the jets to provide a massage. Have you ever use Rohl sprays? I believe they have a couple of settings. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

• 9 years ago
    Depends if you want to spend $ and if you live in a drought area.
  • 9 years ago
    Had jets in previous house. Had to get a second water heater to be able to use effectively. Personally, not worth it. Would rather have a bench, high pressure main shower head and a hand held. Put your money into what really matters. Separate sinks save marriages.
  • 9 years ago

Depending on difficulty, think about placing controls in half wall. Then don't get all wet when turning on.

• 9 years ago

Anybody know what brand is that shower volume control in picture with three handels in one?

• 8 years ago

Question: Is it better to install body jet sprays to use while standing in shower or sitting on bench in shower? Need to know where to place jets now, as We're in process of remodeling shower.

• 8 years ago

we are in the process of installing body sprays. We decided not to install a bench as other people I know claim to not use it as the tile can be cold to sit on. We are going to use a removable teak bench. We also decided on height of each spray according to where we wanted it to hit us. We also confirmed that we have very good water pressure. hope this helps.

• 8 years ago

Thanks for forewarning me about sitting on the tiled bench would be cold. That's not an issue, but I am concerned that the water jet would hit my back from too close a distance behind me. Does anyone have personal expertise or experience with this being a problem or not ? Thanks for your help.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Could not live without an adjustable hand held shower, but wall jets, ...........not so much.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Just a note on the seat; there are built-in teak benches available. Some flip up against the wall to give you more room in the shower when rinsing, etc. They're more convenient than dragging in a bench that gets wet and usually ends up staying inside the shower, anyway).

On the jets: what they really do help with is situations where you have muscle pain, aches or knots. You only need 2 sets, and make sure, as others have said, that you've got plenty of water pressure.

• 8 years ago

Thanks, Sharon, for your note. Just asking if you typed "only need 2 sets", or did you mean to write : "only need 2 Jets".... I thought it was "jets", and by that, I was wondering if you meant to place them at 2 different heights so that your back is hit with 1 water jet at "waistline", and another near "shoulder" level. If sitting on the bench, then 1 jet may hit body at a different lower place, than if same jet is used while standing up, it will target a higher place on your back. Does this make sense to everyone reading this ? Try testing this theory, tape a cardboard fake jet about 10 inches above top of bench. See where it hits your body when sitting, and again check it when standing up in front of the bench.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Hi Ellen,

I meant two sets of 2 jets each installed on 2 walls. I think you need that for them to be worth installing at all, so they can relax spasms in your shoulders or low back without bending. They are a luxury, of course, and no one actually needs them. But if any family members have physical issues or are into sports, they can make life sweeter.

• 8 years ago

What is considered "good" pressure? Is the gpm a factor in this or just psi? Remodeling now. Thanks for the info.

• 8 years ago

Ditto on the hot water part. If you have a tankless system, make sure you can handle the flow requirements. I have two kohler spray tiles and an overhead rain shower. I also have a standard shower head in the wall. I have it plumbed so you cannot have all on at once. Either tiles and one shower head, or both shower heads. As a single guy who lives alone and has a nice tankless heater, hot water is not my issue. My issue was getting enough flow to keep up the pressure. I simply can't get the tiles to "spray" with any force with the shower heads on. More like a soft dribble. I also plumbed it all with 3/4in lines and 3/4in valves. I do have a well and have the pump set to 60psi. To get a "real" functional setup I think you need to make sure you have a tankless heater (preferably two in series) and an auxiliary water pump installed in the bathroom. If building home and it is your forever, I think it is worth it.

• 8 years ago

im currently building a shower and i am trying to think about this same thing. should i do a system with body sprays or not i have a tankless system so i don't gotta worry about the hot water http://i.imgur.com/3OsLPnK.jpg is where i am at right now

• PRO
    8 years ago

Never use them...love the rain shower and hand held sprayer...great for cleaning the actually shower! Looks great

• PRO
    8 years ago
    I love my 3 additional shower heads that are original to 1931. They are approx 18, 36, 54 inches high. My husband uses the rain shower head but after 24 years, I now prefer to use the lower spray heads to the upper one. I like being able to back right up to the jets and rinse my hair without having water streaming down my face. Surprisingly enough, our 40 gallon water heater will supply enough hot water for a generous length shower with both sets running.
  • 8 years ago

I was asking my self the same questing when renovating my walk in shower. And on recomedation of plummer I decided to add six of this beauties. I was lucky to find this site: http://walkinshowers.org/best-shower-body-sprays-reviews.html and choose the best body sprays I could get. I never regreted that decision.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    The real value in shower heads is immeasurable by any cost metric. Who cares about resale value when you get great enjoyment from the daily use of body sprays? They are great in my opinion. Very relaxing. For me, I measured myself and place the body sprays at your neck/shoulder, lower back, and buttocks.
    Make sure they can adjust for men/women.
    I purchased Graf, and they are powerful with adjustable flow. Worth every penny, every day.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

won't be able to use them in CA as they make you install a diverter.

• 6 years ago

I just finished a remodeled shower I did myself. I have a rain shower head, a handheld shower head, a main shower head and 4 body shower heads. Although I love them all, I love the body shower heads the most. I put them on a 3/4 inch loop and the pressure is amazing. You can move them in all sorts of configurations from having all 4 focus on a single point or have practically your entire body covered at once. I've never felt so invigorating before after a shower. For $500 it's worth it but they have to be done right. If all that comes out is a light stream they're
    worthless. BTW I have a tankless water heater for unlimited hot water.

• 6 years ago

it all depends - some people enjoy it, some find that it tends to irritate their skin - you might also find that after a while you might not use it as often as you thought - hand held ones are far more practical

• PRO
    6 years ago

Delta has some very cool new body sprays that pop-out of the wall when you turn them on. They can then be angled however you like. I think they look super cool and really help drench you with water. On cold morning and you get in the shower there are always areas that feel cold where the water isn't hitting you. Body sprays help solve that problem by making sure the warm water is really surrounding you. This effect can be even better if you install the body sprays on opposing walls of the shower. To you can read more about Delta's hydrachoice body sprays and watch a video to see how they work.

Here's a cool photo of what they look like installed:

• 3 years ago

With regards to Derek Sutherland's post: Derek, what is the size of the shower in your pictures?

• 3 years ago

I would opt for a good shower head and keep it simple. The more plumbing you. have, the more potential for needing a plumber and having problems.

I would not consider it to be worthwhile.

I love my hand shower, too , and it is invaluable when doing the cleaning and rinsing of the shower.

I dont like those rain like shower heads. My experience with them is that they get you moist just about everywhere but not really wet in any one place. I prefer a shower head with an option for a steady stream from above.

If you have money to spend on a plumber, and you want it, do. it. I would not. But, that is me.

Keep it simple, that is how I roll!

• PRO
    3 years ago

YES!!!!!

• PRO
    3 years ago

Body sprays are increasingly popular in shower systems but the experience can vary a lot. This is kind of why people wonder whether they are actually worth it. If the body sprays are plumbed incorrectly, they can have temperature and pressure issues. Often people think installing a shower system with body sprays is a DIY project, but really it's not. There are even videos floating around on youtube where professionals are showing how to install body sprays and they are doing it wrong (or at least not in accordance with manufacturer guidelines). The most important thing to remember when installing a system with body sprays is that you must install them on a pressure loop. Even though some installers may say this is unnecessary, it can make the difference between a good and bad experience. Here is a massive article on shower systems with body sprays. In it you can read all about pressure loops. Don't let an inexperienced installer talk you out of it. Even though there is a small additional cost upfront, you won't be able to go back and fix an issue with pressure or temperature once the wall is closed up.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Is the cleaning and maintenance a bit of a chore on these body sprays especially this one?

Looking into getting these from Brizo, We are looking into getting a rain shower head, a shower head that you can control the pressure, hand held water spray and the body sprays. Is a tankless water heater going to be efficient for the water pressure & the hot water temperature?

• PRO
    2 years ago

Cleaning is as simple as wiping the body sprays down. It's best to do this after each use if water spots bother you. Especially if you have hard water, you might have build up over time if you don't clean them regularly, but this is true of any fixture in a wet location. Your questions regarding tankless water heaters should definitely be directed to your plumber. You will want to first determine how many gallons per minute your ideal shower system is going to use (ie add up the water usage of all body sprays, showerheads, hand showers etc.). Once you know how much water the system will need, you will then need to make sure you have a solution in place to supply adequate water pressure and enough hot water. This calculation directly depends on the fixtures you choose. As you might already know, not all showerheads/body sprays have the same flow rate. Not all shower valves output the same amount of water. Furthermore not all tankless water heaters are the same. Therefore you need to determine your water demands first, then choose a water heater solution that will support them. Your plumber is going to be a great resource for this exact type of thing.

• 2 years ago

FaucetList,Inc thank you very much. I’m also confused on what is the best way to plumb these shower heads and body sprays so the water flow and pressure is not decreased with a diverted and using a thermastatic control. The shower is 5’8 x 4’2 and is shared between separate his and her master baths with two entrances from each bathroom. (See Drawing)

On His side he wants to control his multifunction shower head on wall, his jets, and a Rain shower in center.

On her side there will be a multifunction shower head mounted on wall, handheld multifunction shower on sliding bar, and jets in which I will control.

I think I understand that each system will be on opposite 4’2” short ends of the shower and will have their own thermostatic valve to control temp on each 3 components of the system system.

My confusion is about the volume control. Does a diverter have to be used? or can each component have its own volume handles so that the pressure and water flow is not divided when more than one is in use and still use a thermostatic control for all 3?

Also, will we need a linear drain at each end of the short walls to handle the amount of water?

Does either door opening configurations work better than the other?

Is there a different way to place components that would work better?

What configuration is better for shower body sprays 4 making a square?
    Or 3 in a vertical row?

Are the pop out/ push in hydro shower sprays better than the ones that are stationary?

Thank you very much for all your professional advice. We are confused on how to design this shower.

• 2 years ago

Sorry sent same picture twice. This will be the other configuration for doors.

• 2 years ago

Also there will not be a seat in the shower. Thank you to anyone who would like to comment.

• 2 years ago

I have body jets in my master shower and liked them so much I just added them to my vacation house. Luckily my husband and I are only a few inches different in height so we were able to mount them to hit our shoulders and lower back without having to change aiming on them. I love them so much I wouldn’t do a new shower without them. They feel great. We had a brand new water heater already in our vacation house so we opted to have the plumber install a hot water heater booster (mixer) valve system onto the existing heater and we have plenty of hot water for the two bathrooms that heater supplies and multiple showers. It was a minimal cost compared to a new heater.

• PRO
    2 years ago

The way to plumb the showerheads and body sprays (and other spray outlet groups you want) depends greatly on which brand you choose and what exactly their solution is to handling the shower system plumbing. Honestly, you are really going to want to discuss this with your plumber because there are a lot of issues to consider. Some brands utilize a diverter (like Delta). Other brands utilize separate volume controls for each spray outlet group. Some brands have both solutions available. Typically a diverter does not provide any sort of volume control, rather it simply diverters water. The water volume (in a Delta system) is set using the mixing valve on/off control. With Delta, you would not get independent volume control over each spray outlet group (although you will be able to decide which spray group is running at any given time - you just won't get precise water flow control). If you want independent volume control, you would need to choose a brand that supports separate volume controls for each spray group (again, talk to your plumber!) If you want to read a really in depth article about Delta shower systems with body sprays see here: https://faucetlist.com/blogs/buying-guides/complete-guide-to-shower-system-with-body-jet-sprays-and-hand-shower-installation Keep in mind, this article only is really applicable to Delta so if you are considering something else, you may need to do additional research. Sounds like you have a great project underway and I'm sure it will be fabulous!

• 2 years ago

Definitely no, just a hassle and leak risk.

• 2 years ago

Had them in the primary ensuite for six years. Never used them.

Of course, I will install them in a new build--only because they're an expected "luxury". The question is whether I install them in any of the other ensuites.

• last year

Which brand provides the strongest pressure?