Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracygradolph

Help with this window and creating a seating area..thinking banquet.

tracygradolph
12 years ago
My kitchen is white--ugly -- needs help and seating. The area is 7 feet with the corner window.

Comments (20)

• Anna DiBalsamo
    12 years ago
    Hello- looks like a great place for updating. I agree that the seating area would definitely benefit from a banquette and a couple of new chairs. Then I would remove the wallpaper border and replace the light fixture. New window treatments in both areas as well as paint. If you are also considering the kitchen area, I would replace the countertops and update the cabinets with hardware. If you can, post a couple of more images from different angles. You have several options here--this would be a good start!

Anna
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    So it is hopeful....I am really stumped at this point.
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    That window is a seamless window....the kitchen has ugly counter tops and bad sink. It has room for two bar stools at counter which opens to family room.
  • michigammemom
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You might consider a small-scale banquette like this. Also note the window treatment and subtle paint color to warm up your white walls.
    Kitchen · More Info
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    start with a fresh coat of paint including the cupboards, paint under the bar a tone of your new counter top...remove the border and replace the light fixture and window coverings, both patio door and corner window should be similar...scrims are terrific and create a clean look as well as light transitions into the room . Declutter and add open block shelving extending from the upper cupboards to create an open feel...extend the bottom with a desk area to create a work station. Stools at the bar would be inviting...
    as far as the banquette, a bench and small table would work nicely...
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    scrims?? I love that banquet...can I buy that or do I have to have it made? Where do we put the work station? I would love that.
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    We have a lake pool view thru slider and window--don't want to block...but morning sun too.
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    work station could go on the wall opposite the corner window, pics of scrims for your reference, as well as the corner window table and seating ..
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    scrims are perfect as they filter light without hiding the view....hope this helps
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I will have to use the banquette, The seating area is a big triangle area not a corner. Are the scrims like draperies?? or a vertical?? Where do I get these??
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    they are available through levelor and Hunter Douglas...they are a mesh material, not fabric, and can be installed as a roller on your windows or as a pull across vertical on the patio door...check this out on line...through either website...
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you----The furnishing I have are a mix of traditional, old world... I use woods alot. I was hoping to keep this them with the white cabinets.
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    This was my old house.
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    I love your old house style and furniture...try to get it back in your new one...
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I am going to try--but its alot smaller. I will be redoing the flooring and painting. Hopefully it can be done. Not much money for new furnishing too.
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    best of luck Tracy...look at some refurbishing projects to get back the look...can be really rewarding and will not cost an arm and a leg..
  • Anna DiBalsamo
    12 years ago
    Tracy, Looks like everyone has great ideas for you! try not to get overwhelmed--start with a list and do one thing at a time; just make sure you FIRST have a good idea of what overall look you want. This site has plenty of great photos to browse through.
  • tracygradolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Yes--thank you. I love all the help and encouragement. I will just have to stay focus. Flooring, paint, banquette, appliances, light and window treatments first. I have 15000 to bring it up to snuff. Wait till you see the Master bath---thats pretty sad too. I know its just needs some major. Hopefully I can handle the task.
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    tracy...15K can go a long way...you will have a great space at the end of it all with your ideas and touches. Master Bath...new taps, paint and updated accessories...will give a good clean fresh look...nice view with the pool, as well as bright rooms..paint and new window coverings, will do the trick..good luck