Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchellfox

Do I need in-line kitchen exhaust fan?

mitchell fox
9 years ago
My kitchen was totally remodeled last summer. The contractor did a great job, but we are having a problem with excess moisture from the steaming of vegetables we do on the range (electric range). A lot of moisture builds up form the steaming (we do the steaming for perhaps an average of a half-hour each weekday night). There is a lot of moisture collecting on the new cabinets and new microwave above the range. We have a built-in exhaust fan that is part of the GE Profile microwave oven, but even at Boost setting, it hardly pulls any air. The contractor built it to exhaust outside the kitchen through ducting that goes through the wall to outside. but the built-in fan that is a part of the microwave hood pulls very little air. There was so much moisture last week that the microwave keypad shorted out. The repair tech told me that these microwave built-in fans do very little, but that a solution might be an in-line exhaust fan. My contractor told me he has not installed many of these for this application and recommended I research it. These are apparently pretty big units, and the repair tech told me they are typically placed in the middle of the duct run. I don't want to have one put in if it involved this, because it would probably mean breaking through the wall/taking off the new cabinets and breaking up all the tile work the contractor did. Suggestions?

Comments (8)