Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traditionalwithtouchoftrend

New house, same furniture! How to make this living room/parlour pop?

traditionalwithtouchoftrend
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I just moved into a brand new home. The living room is small about 12x12 and loses another 2+ foot square on the couch side compliments of the front hall closet. I posted a picture of what the room looked like before we moved so you can see additional pieces available but not pictured in the new room due to space constraints (two end tables, the mahogany accent table under the wall clock behind the rocking chair, big brass lamps)....the wingback chairs sat in front of the window but aren't pictured in the first shot.
The wall that the couch is on is about 9 1/2 feet long. The wall that juts out (closet) is about 28 inches.
The art looks dwarfed in the photo but it's about 53 x 38.
The windows are west facing so we get pretty good sun the second 1/2 of the day.
Looking for budget friendly design options:
Window (lined curtains? plain or patterned?)
Accent rug? What size/shape rug? Should the rug go under the furniture or sit in between?
Tables? Accent? Coffee? Console?
The living room sits off to the left when you enter the house. The dining room is off to the right and the two rooms face each other.
Would LOVE to get some suggestions to incorporate some trend into this otherwise formal setting.
Thank you!

Comments (5)

• traditionalwithtouchoftrend
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Same questions for the dining room across the hall. Do the window treatments need to match? Both rooms are on the front of the house. There is another corner cabinet opposite/diagonal the one pictured.
  • traditionalwithtouchoftrend
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    anyone? help :-)
  • PRO
    A Beautiful Staged Home and The Colorful Bee
    9 years ago
    Hi...just a quick thought. How about taking the painting at the far end down...place the sofa at the far end of the room...place a console behind it and accessorize - maybe two lamps? Then buy art that's more colorful for over the sofa (don't place high though!). Buy pillows and a throw to add color and warm things up. Flank the wing chairs on either side. Now you have a free wall to perhaps do a long bookcase. Buy a square ottoman...not a coffee table. I would buy a nice seagrass or jute rug - size, not sure. I like to have the sofa legs on a rug. Keep the rocker where it is. Perhaps place some books next to it...add a cushion.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of the sofa on that back wall with the console I would have the wing chairs angled at the entry one on either side of the doorwaya small matching tables beside each one. The art work over the sofa and the ones in the DR need to be hung lower the rug I would choose would not be sisal I hate the feel on my feet also I think a red area rug very textured would be awsesome cant' really tell what the red is so this is just a guess or you could stay very neutral and go gold I guess. Both rooms need drapery that matches to tie the 2 rooms together. I would make the rug large enough to cover most of the space just so all the furniture can have feet on it. A nice long rectangular ottoman with tray in front of the sofa A couple of great floor lamps one on either side of the sofa and a matching pair on the tables by the wing chairs. Some red centerpiece on the dining table and another large piece of art work orlarge mirror on the wall to the left in the pics. Mirrors always give sparkle to a DR and don't forget fresh flowers in both rooms when entertaining.
  • housegal200
    9 years ago
    Yes to the previous suggestions of sofa being on the far wall in front of a console table and lamp. with the two wing chairs angled near the opening, a fantastic ottoman, and those gorgeous drapes Patricia suggested. A large starburst mirror over the couch would be a modern touch. Can you put the rocker in a bedroom or elsewhere since it adds a dowdy vibe? Move your painting on the wall across from the window and place it over a narrow demi-lune table with simple lines in cream or sage at least the width of the painting.

Drum shades are popular now, something you could put over the dining table, since if you move the sofa, you'll be looking at the room--a good thing!