Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrik228

I so wish my garden looked this good! Can you grow tropicals in shade?

Terri Kimbrough
9 years ago
Traditional Perennial · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Glenna Partridge Garden Design
    9 years ago
    Hi terrik228. Thank you for your comments on my client's garden! Yes, you can grow tropicals in the shade. I find that I can grow hardy bananas with good success as well as the red bananas in open shade conditions. Coleus thrives in sun or shade depending on the variety. Depending on what your zone is you can grow them year round. Here in Vancouver we can grow tropicals from May until the first frost which is usually around November. Maybe check in your area for a tropical plant club or society so they can give you specific advice in your area. I hope this helps!
  • User
    9 years ago

A bit late for this reply of mine, but Gardenweb used to have a Tropicalesque plant forum. Check for it. There are plants which might look tropical enough to satisfy your yen for that lush leafy look. My zone is 9a in south Alabama, so I can grow some with only a minimum of worry when freezing weather arrives. You might also check out the look of hostas, which are primarily grown for their leaves, and they tolerate shade very well. They color up better when given enough light, but can deal with shade nicely. For them, my zone is at the most southerly limits, but I'm happy to say they grow in POTS this far south. Here is one photo of my hosta garden where I grow over 500 different varieties in Mobile Alabama. Photo taken July 7, 2014.

• dbstevens
    8 years ago

I'm also from Mobile, I just love your garden!

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago

Banana yes!

How shady are you?

If you have half sun. For floral impact Cannas, which are hardy in you zone!), hardy ginger, iris eg Japanese will give you the floral pizazz! Red Lobelia (Cardinal Flower) are nice too. Consider leafy impact too eg elephant ear Caladiums.

Many hydrangeas do well in partial sun and shady areas.