Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flynnkahoot

Any ideas on how to make the fireplace the star of the room?

flynnkahoot
9 years ago
We love a stone fireplace--just not this icky 80s, orange and tan, sandstone fireplace (with BONUS grey marble inset above the shiny varnished mantel). There is also a huge slab of grey and red marble for the hearth, and a brass screen/door. And the triangular keystone in the top middle of the insert juts out toward us at least double in depth. The whole home will be getting a makeover. In that area, we are aiming for wood beams, a sliding reclaimed barn door, rustic wood floors, comfortable, overstuffed leather, warm colours, hand-knotted Moroccan area rugs, lots of books/vintage items. I think I could easily paint the doors and the insert with a black fireplace paint. I would love to salvage this monster, if only I had the right game plan. Any takers? ( PS- the fireplace is more orange than the pictures suggest.)

Comments (11)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    With what you're planning for the space, consider painting it a darker color that works with the barn doors and floors.
  • flynnrooster
    9 years ago
    Yes, I think that a charcoal would work, but given the porosity of the stones, I'm wondering if we will need a special paint for this. Maybe concrete stain? Also, how could we cover up the hearth marble? I don't think it would take a paint, given its shininess. Thanks for your two cents!
  • PRO
    Decorative Philosophy
    9 years ago
    Does the fireplace function from both sides? It is hard to tell from the photos.
    Yes, it is quite "unique" and will be difficult to work with. Show us some better photos head on & an Idea book of what you like for the other facets of your renovation. :)
    Regards,
    Karen & Joseph
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Might be worth it to remove the marble hearth.
  • flyr4fun
    9 years ago
    Search Houzz for "whitewash stone fireplace". I saw some pics recently of very nice results that were DIY. You could use any color for the "wash" that you prefer.
  • flynnkahoot
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, everyone. This is my first time asking for design help, and I am blown away by the generosity of people in lending a hand.

Flyr4fun, I am not keen on whitewashing (but I do like that look), as I think that it needs to be earthy if it is rock. There are not many other things that are white in the space, either, so it may really jump out (in a scary way).
    I agree, decoenthusiaste, the hearth has to go. I wonder if it can be tiled on top, but then the front lip would look odd.. Maybe it can be pulled out. I shake my head at how crazy the 80s were for these oddities..
    Decorative Philosophy, it only functions on one side. The other is stone and mantel, which faces the dining area. I will connect you to my fireplace room ideabook, so you can see the rest of the selections. I cannot send more photos right now, as I am not there. I will when I return. Thanks for taking the time!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Wonder if the marble and the cubbies below could all go away and a good stone/FP person could take the arched firebox opening to the floor and install a simple hearth there, or maybe just install a plain stone hearth to replace the "combobulated" one. Since you plan to refinish it, the new stone could be matched well enough to blend in with the old when you change the color. Another drastic approach would be to chisel off several inches of the stone (past the depth of the protruding keystone) and build a frame over it to drywall in a new FP to which you could add a traditional wood surround.
    Family room, Naperville, Illinois · More Info

Robinson's Bay Residence · More Info

Traditional Family Room · More Info

Garden Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    It's not terrible. Call in a professional finisher who works in stone. I have a hunch the orange hue can be minimized and bleached down with chemicals, paint or a combination. Frankly, it could be much worse.
  • PRO
    patricia McCleery
    9 years ago
    I think the hearth is the more troubling part of the project, I would remove that as best you can with professional help, and then see what you have..the surrounding colors of the walls and floor will make the rock look more or less orange..you can use that to your advantage. I would think if you decide to paint the rock you would have to seal it first..but you would never get it off if you didn't like the effect.
  • flynnkahoot
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for all the ideas. I never thought about how the opening is too small for the fireplace. I like the idea of taking out the hearth and making it larger. I may look into the chemical treatment for the rock. I also think there may just be too much of it. It wraps right around on a full wall in the dining area, too.