Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rinahen

Replacing windows on our 1950s house!

Rina Henderson
9 years ago
We are doing some exterior renovations to our 1950s home including new roof, window replacement and paint. I want our home to maintain it's character (charming but fresh) and am going back and forth on what type of windows to select. We have one large bank of windows on the front near the door (currently a picture window flanked by two old casements). There also are plantation shutters on the windows (on the interior). Am not sure will keep them up or take down. Alot depends on what I select for windows. Anyways, in your opinion what window style would look best (single hung with muttons or without muttons). We originally considered replacing that front windows with another picture window, with two casements with muttons. Our window guy says the casements would crank out far, if we opened the windows. We live in southwest florida so we would rarely open, but do like the idea of being able to open on nice fall/winter days. Anyways, the decision of what style would look the best on our house is my concern (I also have to decide whether plantation shutters will be on all our windows, because they do affect the way the windows look from the street). Our window guy suggest it might look busy, especially if we keep plantations up! Ughhh ... am so confused. Please send your ideas, along with suggestions of a paint color that would look good with the weathered wood roof. I'm looking for fresh, updated, but yet keeping the charm of the house!

Thank you so much!!!
Rina

Comments (15)