Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalonci

My outdated couch

lalonci
9 years ago
I have this awesome couch. The wood is fantastic but the upholstery is way outdated! I need a way to make it look more current or at least cool without reupholstering. Any ideas?

Comments (16)

• beachlily
    9 years ago
    You could easily cover the pillows yourself....even without sewing!" I used fusible tape...and a glue gun to cover our old sun porch pillows...looks great. If you really like the wood, keep it..I'd probably paint it a fun color or white.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Oooh and pillowcases might work to cover your pillows too....super easy.
  • flowergardener5
    9 years ago
    Something I used a few years ago to cover the furniture in an unused room was painters drop sheets that you can purchase from a big box store....they are a creamy beige color and you could cut as needed, use your fusible tape and then add some colorful pillows for some pops of color that it would need.....the room I did is in very soft colors by choice....I put all the pillows on one couch for a specific shot but otherwise they aren't all on the one....
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    These are great!
  • lalonci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for all your great suggestions!! I'm so glad I found Houzz!
  • User
    9 years ago
    I would not hesitate to paint the wood frame. It isn't a quality antique wood so go for it. I think the wood is more problematic than the cushions. Once painted, I think the cushions would look okay.
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    Love Maureen's ideas. "Cool or current" I don't see, but you can sure make it wonderfully unique. Painted wood, or fun fabric or both will make it uniquely fun.
  • PRO
    Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    Keep the wood work, and change the cushions.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    HI -- Paint it white then have washed white canvas covers made for the cushions .Satin gloss paint .
  • gastb
    9 years ago
    Not feeling the sofa as is. Maybe a french provincial stripe in colors to match other stuff you have? The woods looks sort of fruitwood stain, and that works for french provincial. Maybe choose a one-piece attached back style, contoured to work with the frame. The square cushions look too bulky and hide the wood.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    You've gotta think "How much time/money do I want to invest in this?" Money that could go toward a new sofa or semi-new.
  • lalonci
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's sentimental to my husband. And it is really a nice piece. His grandparents purchased the set for over $7000.
  • PRO
    Cabinetry By Ebbing, Inc.
    9 years ago
    It is difficult to keep white looking nice and it doesn't appear that would work with your look. Go for black and make sure to use Benjamin Moore ADVANCE--it is excellent for interior wood. Your cushions will take on a whole new look with a painted frame, but if worn, you can easily cover them as others suggested.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    a few pillows in a complementary colour also you could paint the wall in the gold and add touches of red around the room ,most of the time a gallon of paint can revive furniture .
    Honeymoon AF-345 Paint · More Info

Duralee Red Paisley Pillow · More Info
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    If you really don't want to alter the sofa much, Genevieve from Canada's pillow choices will give it some oomph.