Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jar_hdz

Filling in the gray space

JaR Hdz
9 years ago
We need ideas on how to decorate the wall between the kitchen and breakfast nook. Use the wall clock as inspiration.

Comments (20)

• User
    9 years ago
    I am picturing large framed poster of a red London double-decker bus with black and white Big Ben in the background.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    A piece of art would be appropriate. One that is with warm tones with which to brighten the space

J Design Group, Miami Interior Designer - South Beach - South Miami - Coral Gables - Sunny Isles - Miami - Pinecrest - Williams Island - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • PRO
    Rebecca Hite, Realtor, Huntington Properties, LLC.
    9 years ago
    I envision something similar to this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/32299322297995024/

If you are a DIY kind of person and just want a single piece of art you could have a lot of options using this idea: http://6thstreetdesignschool.blogspot.com/2014/05/diy-octopus-art.html

I love the clock!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    From the angle you took the photo I get the impression that area is used as a passageway through the dining to the kitchen. Is this correct? If so you won't want something that projects too far from the wall since it appears narrow enough to begin with. These suggestions are based on the idea you want something close to the wall so people can pass through the area. First, decals wouldn't stick out at all. I saw the first photo with the queen anne's lace decal and thought it was attractive although you might want to choose a different design. Second I thought something big with a lot of bright color and texture like this abstract painting. Finally, since this is a dining area perhaps a collection of beautiful dishes like this one.
  • JaR Hdz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It is the walkway between the breakfast nook and the kitchen. I like the black and white idea because we kind of have a gloomy London gray feel going on in our house. I wouldn't want something that stuck out too much because like I said it's more of a walkway.
    The wall is really long and I wasn't sure if I should divide the wall up or not. I really like the decal idea, but decals and canvas art seem too.. Cheap looking, no? Plus, I wouldn't want it to be so theme-y. Thanks for all of your ideas though!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Can't see enough of the space, but wonder if you've considered a bench on that wall and moving your table to that side of the space with the upholstered chairs at each end of it.
  • PRO
    Luxe Water Walls
    9 years ago
    Here's a large & stunning idea for that wall. See more at http://www.luxewaterwalls.com/fountains.html

54" Wide Fountain in Various Homes · More Info

54" Wide Fountain in Various Homes · More Info

36" Wide Water Walls in Various Homes · More Info
  • decorgirly
    9 years ago
    The first thing I thought of when I saw your house was this art from ikea. It would go perfectly with a couple of red things around your house like a red bowl on counter and maybe a centerpiece with red.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40152586/
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    have you watched fixer upper on HGTV? She shares some of your style. http://www.hgtv.com/fixer-upper/show/index.html
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Gosh, we just redid our kitchen and have a very similar wall! Ours is covered in beadboard and we did wall washing lights. The initial idea was to place a painting there, but it looked too heavy. My husband likes it empty with just the light effect. So, for now, that is where it will stay.
    JaR Hdz thanked pcmom1
  • Maha Alabduljalil
    9 years ago
    Simple solutions as I fear big commitments is either a wall paper that splits the wall into two parts (top, bottom) as shown in the photo above. Or Many frames (white, black, grey , brown) of different sizes scattered.
    JaR Hdz thanked Maha Alabduljalil
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Here is a picture showing 'wall washing' created by recessed can lights placed close to the wall. You could throw the light on to a large photograph of London, etc. That would give some depth of field.
    St Clarens renovation · More Info
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    one more idea.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    A black floating cabinet with posters matted and framed in black.[houzz=
    Newbury Street Penthouse · More Info
    ]; houzz=
    Big Ben Print, Large · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Provence France Print · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Binoculars Print · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Addition Building & Design, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Do you have children? Chalkboard walls are always fun if you're looking for something simple and different!
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    something like a dark 36x72 painting? :)
  • JaR Hdz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh right, I forget about the table placement. We put the table close to the window instead of in the middle of it all. We're planning on changing the light fixtures too. Lol. Thanks everyone. I love all the ideas.
    Originally, I did want a bench against the wall, but it would block the access into the kitchen. Plus, benches only look cute, but aren't adult friendly. Lol. There's really not enough space for any furniture on that side. I pretty much have to stick to wall art. I really like the chalkboard idea, but to be honest our son is four months old and my husband and I are not artistic at all. Lol.
    We really love architecture so I love the idea of having the Big Ben or even a painting of Prague. I also really like the window panes they sell at like Hobby Lobby, but what I'm not sure about is how to or if I should separate the space.
  • westcastmama
    9 years ago
    Did you paint your cabinets? To update them I would add a 3 or 4 inch crown molding to the top of the cabinets.
    For the wall how about reclaimed wood or a stencil on the whole wall to represent wallpaper without the hassle of wallpaper?
    JaR Hdz thanked westcastmama
  • JaR Hdz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I did see a cute stencil at Hobby Lobby. Yes, we did paint the cabinets and do want to add crown molding. We're also updating the appliances to match our fridge. Oh and we're updating the countertops too. We already updated the hardware.. I was considering either adding small glass front cabinets on top of these or crown molding. I really want a heather gray herringbone backsplash, but that's probably the last thing we'll do. Oh oh! I considered replacing the tile with one that looks like wood if not wood floors. Lol. Gosh, what a mess. Lol.