Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_call

50's ranch needs exterior updating lights columns landscape doors paint

Jennifer Call
12 years ago
We have owned the house for a little over a year and have been gradually replacing everything. We have done a lot of the landscaping in the front but just removed a holly tree that dates house and now there is a vacant spot. We sit on an acre with a big circle drive if that helps give you an idea. I'm needing help with porch and front door ideas. I'm not interested in painting brick at this time I don't think, as I have heard its a lot of up keep and our yard, house already has too much upkeep! Looking dorard to your expertise.

Comments (6)

• Jamieson
    12 years ago
    Wondering where you live, as that would help for landscaping ideas. Pics. would be most helpful, to visualize what you're dealing with! Thanks!
  • Jennifer Call
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    We live on the kansas/missouri border
  • Jennifer Call
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Here is a second one
  • Jennifer Call
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    This is the side of the house that we cut the holly tree down
  • Jamieson
    12 years ago
    Wow, beautiful home! Off the top of my head I'd go lighter colour of shutters and door.
    I really like the last photo I'm attaching, as it's a good example of columns, colour and landscaping that might work for you. In choosing colours, pull from your brickwork. Look for a light neutral that would work for your door and shutter colour. For your columns go a dark brown, again from your brickwork. Essentially what your doing is building layers to add interest to your home. As for plantings and landscaping, I have to confess that I don't have a green thumb. I'm hoping that you'll get some more input from other posters. All in all, looks like you're doing a fantastic job! Keep up the good work!
    Exterior of remodel · More Info

Craftsman home exterior · More Info

MESA Landscape Architects · More Info