Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nestaway

Painting Ugly Brick Exterior Color Suggestions Please

nestaway
9 years ago
Small 1970's Spanish style ranch. Looking for light gray/beige or cream suggestions. Brick is gross see up close picture. The windows are white vinyl, will be getting vinyl eaves-suggestions? Porch has terracotta & brown tile. Roof will be replaced in future.

Comments (18)

• wickedwhite
    9 years ago
    Did you make a decision? I've been looking at BM's Elmira White and Ballet white for my bricks.
  • nestaway
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I went with Behr Marquee Creme de la Creme, it's a crisp white with subtle gray undertones
  • nestaway
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry it's taken so long! We just had a new roof put on but I have not taken pictures of it yet. It goes ever so much better than that red brown - it's now a driftwood gray brown which goes much better. Here is the picture of the painted brick though. I'm also going to paint the front doors a deep blue/green Behr Winter in Paris when the weather cools down in the fall. Hope this helps!

• jordanbarker85
    8 years ago

We have the exact same brick on our place. Could you post a close-up of how the "worm lines" look when painted? Thanks in advance!

• Brandon Gautreaux
    6 years ago

I have the same brick. Please post close up pictures

• nestaway
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hope this helps.

• elbecker62
    5 years ago

Thanks for sharing this! We too have the same brick. After living in the house for over 20 years we've decided to finally paint it. Can you tell me if it took a lot of prep work, and how it is holding up? Thanks!

• nestaway
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We had it professionally painted, it is tedious, took 2 men about a week 1900 sq. ft. house, double garage and chimney. They did clean the surface of the brick with some type of brushes and rinsed it off, not too rough because of the mortar. It looks 1000% better. It's held up with no flakes or chipping. Good luck and post photos if you decide to do it!

• elbecker62
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you for the quick reply! I should have said "we've decided to have it painted" :) We are not the do-it-yourself types. We are in the process of getting estimates. We don't have a ton of brick as much of our house is sided, but it is a 2-story house with a chimney. I will post after pictures. Above is the "before" Thanks again!

• Hope M
    4 years ago

looking forward to seeing the after as well!!! Thinking of doing ours and would love to know how you guys are loving your new brick colors!

• elbecker62
    4 years ago

We’re really happy with the way ours turned out. Only sorry we waited 20 years to do it!

• Hope M
    4 years ago

It looks Beautiful!!! Love it. Can I ask how many estimates you had and a rough estimate on how much it costs? We have landscaping $$ to do first but this would be my next step!

• Hope M
    4 years ago

Did you only paint brick or siding too? Looks like a new roof!

• elbecker62
    4 years ago

Thanks! We only painted the brick. And it is a new roof. Good eye! We got two estimates for painting and they were wildly different. We went with the low estimate - we know someone who had used the painter and they were very pleased. I think it was under $3,000 for power washing, priming and painting. The other estimate was close to $6,000!

• Hope M
    4 years ago

wow!! That is a big difference! I had no idea what they range so it's good info! Thank you!! The new roof compliments everything as well.

• Terry Todd
    2 years ago

What are the name of the brick in the featured picture?

• nestaway
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If you are asking about the brick in the original post although it was ours, I have idea of its name. It was popular in the 70’s on Mediterranean and Spanish style homes.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio