Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherine_stgeorge

Living room layout

Irish Kate
9 years ago
Would like to make the room more cozy and less spread out.
Photos are as it is and also the floor plan/space.
Placing / type of furniture Is where I most need help .

Thank you

Comments (15)

• Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    My first thought is to have the sofas face each other and bring the one by the window forward. Using just one of the tables, make a grouping where all seats can see the TV.

If you don't need that much seating in front of TV, then turn the sofa near the window with it's back to the TV area and between the fireplace and the TV/bookcase.

My goal would be to define at least 2 groupings in this rectangular room. One for TV watching, the other clustered around the fireplace. If the view out the window isn't pleasing, I have a few suggestions.

Questions:
    1. Is there a reason you don't have any rugs?
    2. Pets?
    3. Children that need a play area near the adults?
    4. Is that a thermostat on the wall above the sofa in the middle picture?
    5. Allergies? Can you have live plants?
  • Irish Kate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Kathleen
    Don't have rugs but happy to use them
    We have a dog & 4 kids but they don't play in this room but do use it .
    Yes that's a thermostat
    We have no plants as I'm rubbish at keeping them alive !!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Try moving all the sofa and chairs closer to the fireplace and TV wall for a more 'cozy' feeling.
    Irish Kate thanked Dytecture
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I have the opposite problem in that I accumulate too many plants. Been in this house a year and my one coleus is now 3 and one needs dividing again, philodendrom: bought 2, now have 3, etc.

Since you're not a plant person, you'll need to use color to bring life to the room.

As book lovers, perhaps you can make a small reading area near the multiple doors. Get a small, don't care if they wreck it, table, chairs, ottomans or bean bag seats and a floor lamp. Add some drawing tablets, some pencils and a small bookcase (could use upturned crates in bright colors) for children's books. I've seen some brightly colored bean bag chairs at Target recently.

The big box stores also have inexpensive 2 or 3' square kitchen tables that make great craft tables, some set low enough for five and six year-olds to use.

A square rug in front of the fireplace with one sofa and a couple of casual chairs, using one of the tables = cozy winter day/evening by the fire and a place for the kids to play Parchesi or Monopoly.

Another rug in front of the TV with it's grouping of sofa, chairs and table.

I'd bring color in with an afghan or throw on the sofas to go with colors in the rugs. Yellows, greens, maybe even red. Think of spring nature colors. Put the word out to family and friends for Christmas gifts.

Time to run errands, but I'll look for some example photos later.
    Irish Kate thanked Kathleen Marineau
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    About the thermostat: too bad it's in the middle of the wall. Otherwise it's a perfect place for an art grouping. Maybe someone else can suggest how to decorate around it.
  • Irish Kate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Have moved the large sofa to face the window .
    It looks nice , gave me an idea to put a writing desk behind it.
    The fire end of the room is where we like to sit in the winter but it can't take much furniture .
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    It already looks more inviting. A writing desk is a good idea.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Wing chairs in front of window can angle out towards the rest of the room or towards each other with a table in between for game playing or conversation:
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    This is getting close: Two wing chairs next to window facing the rest of room. Those two brown sofas into an L on the tv viewing side of the room.
    Great room Maria Hildebrand · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room/wing-chairs-window-
  • Irish Kate
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Like that look but would block my doors in .
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Pull those two sofas forward and together. Should leave room behind for getting to those doors.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    I see you have a nice sized painting by the panel doors. Try that over the fireplace. Move the mirror to the wall behind the sofa. Then it will reflect that good looking bookcase.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Could also try this arrangement. Arrange sofas around fireplace and use chairs near bookcase as a reading area.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/105-madison-ave-contemporary-living-room-newark-phvw-vp~34992
  • onetwothre
    9 years ago
    Will this fit.....Keep the long couch facing the bookcase and put the shorter couch in front of the double doors, but both couches should be off the walls, leaving room to walk behind them. Put the rectangular coffee table in front of them. The square coffee table should be removed-you don't need both. You can put an end table with a lamp in the corner between the couches.

Put your two chairs in front of the window on an angle facing each other with a table and lamp between them. A very long rug for the entire room.
    Irish Kate thanked onetwothre
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County