Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethm1687

How do I reupholster this?

Bethany Michaels
9 years ago
What pattern do you recommend for the base? What color? Should I paint the chair? I've never really reupholstered something but I'm creative and crafty so I think I'll be okay. Just need suggestions...thank you!!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Natalie Massie
    9 years ago
    That's a pretty easy project - no sewing needed! I would first go to a fabric store and find a pattern you are drawn to, you probably only need 2/3 yard. Once you get the fabric home, just wrap the fabric around the cushion tightly (not so tight that it puckers) and staple it to the base. Then before reattaching to base place it on the chair to see what finish would look the best for the wood. You'll likely be safe doing a neutral color (black, white, gray) or you can always take one of the fun colors from the fabric and find a spray paint that matches it well! After the paint dries you just reattach the chair to the base the same way it was before the redo (likely with screws).

Here are a few of my bright DIY furniture projects I've done in the past for a little inspo:
    http://www.theenchantinglife.com/category/decorate

Don't be afraid of color! It's a small enough piece that it can just act as a little pop of color in a room!

Hope that helps,
    Natalie
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    It looks like all you will have to do is unscrew the seat from the chair, take the seat off, then staple the fabric onto the seat. Screw the seat back onto the frame and you're done! As far as color, it would depend on where it's going and what it has to go with.
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much Natalie! See, I feel like I'm afraid of color cuz I don't know exactly what pattern/colors go together. Especially for that style of chair. The chair will be going with this couch:
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you nancy! I think that's why I was so exited to do this project, because for my first one it'll be really easy. Do u have any suggestions on color now that I've attached the couch?
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do I need to sand it before painting it, even if I'm ok with an imperfect rustic look?
  • PRO
    Natalie Massie
    9 years ago
    If it has a varnish on the wood, a light sanding will keep the paint from bubbling. If you use spray paint you will avoid the brush strokes and it's much easier.

I would say find a pattern that has some of that orange accented in it. You're not limited to pattern, it just depends on your style: you could go eclectic with a bright and fun pattern, contemporary with a geometric print, global with an ethnic print, etc. I think it all starts with a trip to the fabric store and finding what you're drawn to. It would be nice to purchase some extra yardage and make a couple pillows to put on the sofa to echo the chair and tie it all together!

Natalie
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay hold tight I'm on my way to the fabric store!
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    This is easy, all you need a staple gun and some fabric or leather. Go crazy!
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Gray and Walter - do u hve suggestion on colors? Patterns?
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really like this pattern!
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like the gray and orange fabric, I guess yo would call it Chevron design, arrows, hmmmm ;0(.
    BTW, I love your sofa color ;0)!!
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I actually think this would look better, especially with the couch I want to pAir it with...
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That last pattern was too thin. Think I'm going with this one.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You may want to read up on how best to do the corners and you will need a staple gun. Noticed your preference and style choice above with the black/white fabric; I would choose a fabric that also has orange and go really bold so the chair is fun. Measure your seat beforehand, so store can advise you how much fabric to purchase. Sand chair and then spray paint (satin finish). I would also consider leaving wood as is. Good luck. houzz=
    Pattern - 115 Stretched Wall Art, 12" x 12", Orange · More Info
    ]
  • Bethany Michaels
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's how it turned out...for my first one...not bad eh?? Thanks for all the help and input! Should I get a little pillow??
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Yes, I like pillows on chairs.
  • PRO
    Natalie Massie
    9 years ago
    Good job Bethany, love the fabric choice!