Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillyjax

Need zippy ext paint for our red brick mid-century modern

jillyjax
9 years ago
We're ready to paint and have bought multiple unsuccessful samples. I don't want to paint the brick because of cost and upkeep. The Sherwin Wms color of the brick is about 6341, 6342 with 6318 mortar. We re-roofed with slate-color timberline.The current trim color is approx Ben Moore HC103 and cream underneath the overhang/porches. The interior is Ben Moore and easily viewed through the windows: Ceilings are white dove, walls are 983 and 985. I want sleek drama and am open to all ideas.

Comments (17)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Perhaps paint can define exactly where the entry is. No suggestions right now.
  • jillyjax
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for your suggestion. The door does look like a window and I need to trim the sage a little. If I go more traditional grey-green, I was thinking a Maandrian inspired door. But I've also been playing around in the Ben Moore site and came up with these. Although it doesn't look like it, the fascia and fence are the same. I'd go a little more rust color rather than bright orange for the lower fascia. I want it to yell, not to scream.
  • jillyjax
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    and the traditional lamp post must go!
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    I'd love to see large midcentury modern house numbers placed vertically on the brick wall. Also attached a pic of a house that looks very much like your gem.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I think maybe the door should yell but the rest of it should be the megaphone.
    Mid-Century Modern in White Rock · More Info

PBH Keith Heights · More Info

Mid Century Modern - Revitalized · More Info

Druid Hills Mid Century Modern · More Info
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Maybe this will help you narrow it down.
  • User
    9 years ago
    The lower left one narrowed it down for me;)
  • User
    9 years ago
    I don't know what jillyjax will think but I think all the possibilities groveraxel put together look great!
  • jillyjax
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas. I really like the large numbers and have an expansive blank wall to hang them. We planted 3 dwarf versions of the plant on the left to break up that wall. I understand dwarf means they are slower growing. We've talked about a couple of floor to ceiling windows there. But more so, I want to create floor to ceiling framed windows (like those on the porch) to replace the short fence and create a secure garage instead of a carport.

What I like about some version of my 2tone color scheme is that it elongates the house. The current grey-green often makes the flat roof fascia get lost and look truncated to the left. Also, the number of windows and fascia around the door can become busy to the eye. To me, the dark brown or grey line emphasized the important roof line and helped organize the angles. I'm not professing the flat roof fascia color was a good choice. The software color accuracy is peculiar. However, your suggestions helped me with decisions. I really appreciate the help.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I misunderstood, or more accurately, made an assumption not in evidence. When you painted the straight eave, I assumed you meant to paint them all that way, but your intent is to make that one pop. I get it now. In that case, I don't think you have to go too dramatic with the color. The fact that it is different will make enough of a statement.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    9 years ago
    Black is an option to update without losing the mid-century vibe, perhaps paired with a teal door. On one mid-century (yellow door) I added a "mid-century atomic" motif in black and trays running in a vertical line ¾ to the right opposite the door knob. Looks uniquely vintage and enabled carrying the entrance along until a more costly reno budgeted for a few years hence. A treatment on the door can elevate the entrance.
    jillyjax thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • jillyjax
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks to you both. ACT ONE...funny you mention natural wood. I was thinking this morning, I wish I could strip the paint from the carport fascia board - it would be a huge job. The rust color, on my short list, may have to suffice. JJO, I like the idea of the graphic touch on the door. If I go with a 2-tone trim, I might do that. If I go with a 1-color trim, I'll probably do a Mondrian inspired door using the trim colors and small inserts of greyed primary colors. Or what if I painted the over-sized numbers on the door? I am capable.

The deceased architect that designed our home has southern colonials on the historical register in River Oaks (old-money, Houston neighborhood). According to the commissioning first owner, who is a realtor and still working, this was the architect's first and only modern. He built it using commercial materials and minimums. Every contractor that goes in the attic is hugely impressed by the over-engineered beam and rafters. There are a lot of really nice effects inside. The back reminds me of photos of Frank Sinatra's home.

When the house met the market, we didn't care what it looked like, we wanted the lot and were going to tear it down. It wasn't until after we had the keys and started looking more closely that we realized the potential. The front exterior has always been uninspired and never brought it justice.
  • kellyography
    9 years ago
    I am so glad you are going to keep this MCM beauty rather than tear it down! I love it, and would love if you posted pictures of the before/after.
  • PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you for not painting that brick! You've probably already painted by now, but I'm hoping you went for the white trim, esp. for that spectacular horizontal piece. I just find letting the brick do its thing then contrasting it with white keeps things simple and allows the architecture to shine.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Droplet - you'll make more friends if you drop the old threads!

• PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Decoenthusiaste...just saw this. What are you talking about??