Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natanyad

what is the top of the fire pit made of?

natanyad
11 years ago
I love this look. Is there a kit for the fire pit? What is the material of the top ledge of the fire pit?
Santa Cruz Vacation House · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Since the designer hasn't answered yet, I can help a little.

First, I'm venturing that this is a gas fireplace with artificial logs, given the appearance of the logs, the proximity to combustible construction and the absence of a sparkscreen, which would be necessary for a wood burning firepit in most jurisdictions.

There are "kits" for gas firepits, meaning off-the-shelf components, but it generally takes a professional to put everything together safely. Working with gas is dangerous, especially if you are working with propane.

It looks like the firepit base is wrapped in steel and the top is cut stone. It could also be concrete. The finish materials should be able to be found locally, but if not, your local fireplace experts should be able to help you with a project like this.
  • paddykk
    7 years ago

Doesn't concrete crack with heat?

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    7 years ago

It can, but our rule of thumb is to keep the flame at least 6" away, so the risk is low. It would be unusual for a properly designed firepit to have a problem.

• paddykk
    7 years ago

Thanks for your prompt reply - I will tell my contractor to keep the gas ring 6" away.