Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jschlemm

Family Room

jschlemm
9 years ago
I need guidance on wall art, area rug, and throw pillows. The couches, mirror, and wall color are to stay. I have attached photos of our living room as is. We plan to replace the entertainment center with the one attached. I have also attached my ideas, inspiration thus far. This is our only family/living room, 29 year old husband and wife expecting a baby come early February. Looking for clean, simple touches to cozy up this room. We have put a lot of work with lighting, flooring, paint, etc. to get it where it is now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (79)

• groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Oh, and skip the glass.
    Printmaker's Media Console · More Info

Antique Barnwood Coffee Table With Hairpin Legs · More Info
    jschlemm thanked groveraxle
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @groveraxle- definitely plan to replace the current entertainment center- have had that for many years. Thanks for the painters media console suggestion. I like that a lot! Unfortunately the coffee table is ordered with several other furniture pieces... Ordered pre-baby knowledge. Was looking at this artwork for next to the rectangular mirrors. That wall is very large and very bare. I am still on the fence about shelving on the back smaller wall. I was thinking a busier bookshelf would be good because our home in general is very minimalist and sparse. We could display family photos, storage for books, and on the bottom for toys. I was actually thinking of getting a chair that color you used in the picture to tie in that fuschia/nantucket red. What program is that?! Its very helpful!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i like shelves behind couches...just my thought.
    jschlemm thanked flair lighting
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I would do whole wall with built In. Paint white. Pull sofa away from wall. Place sofa facing TV. Love seat where sofa was. Add two chairs armless or swivel side by side looking at love seat. A big 8x10 area rug. In fro t of sofa, In your accent colors a print. A big 36 round or square coffee table. Reclaimed wood. With big coffee table books and other items. Stage bookcases on built ins center with a few items in accent colors. A drum style chandelier in a white shade 24". Instead of fan. Drop down.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Bigger end tables go reclaimed wood. Add pillows in different size and prints in your colors . Use stripes and other patterns for interest.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Replace arch mirror which is way to high. With a floor mirror with dark frame for that space instead. Lean on wall. IKEA sells not expensive and will add to room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Your wall color and panels are good. If you like the pic your posted of pillows. Just follow that. TJMax good for pillows. IKEA also.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Putting TV on that wall is better. Out a big round table by arm of love seat and sofa. Can add a big base lamp drum shade. The add rug, coffee table extra. No built inn needed then. But do get a better media for TV. IKEA or anyone sells. Go dark wood. Or reclaimed to get look you seek. I would still add 2 chairs looking at love seat. Square off seat. Remove that arch mirror. Add big sea scrape to that wall. Hang 7" from top of love seat.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    After you get a table between love and sofa it will be fine add a big potted plant in corner by window. Once pillows are on you won't notice when other furn goes in.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Art looks to modern. I thought I saw a more beachy look going??
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    You could wallpaper wall behind love seat. Anyone that sells paint has wallpaper books. Check it out. Maybe a wall of white birch trees would add interest. Wall paper is big now. So much to choose from.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Try the sofa about three feet more toward the TV & keep love seat at right angles still. I'm thinking once the baby is here you may want walking space behind sofa to where baby's play area will be set up. Please do not use anything with square corners or glass where the baby can reach. You will be new parents & everything will be changing. Pun intended. I really like the idea of making the area behind the love seat for baby's toys & play area. No don't change out your lovely ceiling fan for a chandelier. You will have better use for the fan & I'm thinking everything in the room is what you wanted. As long as you put protective corners on the new coffee table you ordered it will be fine.

What you need first is an area rug, one for the living room to build your color pallet from, then next three soft pillows with colors for sofa, one pillow for love seat. Buy three soft cube storage containers to throw toys in & for extra seating when needed. It looks like you want a red & blue color scheme...how about a coral & teal blue one that will go with your drapes you have up. Check Ikea for baby are rugs like rubber puzzle to put in area for play. They also have great ideas for storage you can use or for a small media credenza. Have you looked at my ideabooks for reasonable art? Try amazon.com for art as well. After the art is up you can use one side of the 2 piece mirror set you have to put up over a small soft bench near your entry. The other mirror you may want to incorporate into an art section on the wall behind your sofa or love seat. Remember you want the mirror to reflect something nice to look at.
    jschlemm thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    "baby area rugs" not "baby are rugs", sorry.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Two is too many mirrors.
    jschlemm thanked leelee
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Do not let anyone except you select your art. It is too personal. Z Gallerie is a good place to look for art. They are having a sale now (who isn't) & their art comes ready to hang.
  • chrissiekirk
    9 years ago
    Wow...love all the involvement with this project and the owner going back and forth and moving furniture around, taking more photos...this was great and I have a feeling the final product is going to be beautiful!!!
  • PRO
    FLOR/Interface
    9 years ago
    Your drapes are too dark and heavy, they're also too long and should not be bunched up on the floor like dirty laundry. Keep them lighter and just above grazing the floor level for a cleaner, crisper look. You'd like to keep the mirrors. you may want to consider repositioning them, possibly on another wall. The eyelid mirror is too high up from the back of the couch. Definitely you need a good sized area rug, floor and table lamps. Ottoman would be great especially if it has storage inside. As for art, that can be such a personal thing. It's always best to hit some artists markets to find something unique and individual as opposed to buying from a furniture store or print shop. A grouping of 4 small/medium framed photos or paintings would add some nice interest and dimension to your walls above the sofa's. A good quick fix for a splash of color; fresh flowers/plants.
  • PRO
    FLOR/Interface
    9 years ago
    As well, get rid of that nasty ceiling fan. A nice overhead vintage light fixture with possibly a medallion would be a nice classic/elegant touch.
  • bballlover_1234
    9 years ago
    U need more decor
  • wbarker111
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Move the chair to the middle creating more of a space...the definitely a rug...so many cool rugs out there and you need color - figure out what you love...are you blue people, red people (Check Pottery Barn or Front Gate) Don't freeze up at the options - your wall art mirrors appear to be geometrical..bold black - I would look to contrast and some great pillows - nice looking floors so a darker rug would work well...actually I would loose the mirrors.
  • PRO
    Redeemed Spaces
    9 years ago
    I think one of the important questions first is.......what style are you after? There's lots of potential from this point. You have a bit of shabby chic started but with the absence of much else there's a potential to bring in some more modern pieces and mix it up. I am judging by your small side table that you may like the modern edge as well and it is possible to mix your styles. I like the size/space in the living room if the picture reads correctly. Don't feel you have to fill up the space with end tables and decor. I like the feel of having a large automan as a coffee table and there being 24" space between it and the sofas. Without knowing what's on the camera side of the photo I could suggest a different arrangement. If you like a bit of modern "feel", forgo the entertainment unit and place low lying white units or a chunky shelf from wall to wall on the far side of the room where you had the TV originally. Paint that wall a fabulous accent colour for a focal point. The space on either side of the TV could be used to lean some large art, a pair of awesome lamps on either side or even some floating shelves around it. Keep the sofa as is and place the loveseat at a right angle to the sofa with its back facing the camera view. Angled toward the TV on the wall with the window you could add a more modern accent chair to create that eclectic style. Your little side table could sit quite nicely beside a great modern chair. For lighting I would suggest an oversized floor lamp and skip the side tables. I would suggest removing the eyelid mirror and instead placing a low bookshelf with art above it or even an interesting tall shelving unit for interest. Of course a large textured rug would be amazing and as for the curtains well, It's all about balance. When you begin pulling things together it will read as to whether you should stick with something more modern and monochromatic like white or if you should keep your blue theme. That's the art of being eclectic, knowing the balance!
  • Tara Sweeney Stopinski
    9 years ago
    I liked the TV on the back wall...a large wall unit would fit nicely and add cabinets for display items...turn your love seat & place to box room in...couch on left wall & love seat in L shape near doorway...this way your sofa table can be behind the love seat as you leave/enter the space with photos, small lamp, vase with flowers for color...
    It will allow use of a coffee table or ottoman to be used by both sofas...
    You can shift things "into the room" to allow a large entryway to then put a coat rack/bench seat for family/guests coats & shoes...
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey everyone! Your input has been a huge help! Unfortunately one of our couches is unraveling and we have only had them for 45 days. They were from Pottery Barn and were barely used during their 45 days with us.... Hence the photos of a new couch... I have attached several photos of where I am at design wise. I love Serena and Lily- fresh- clean- with pops of color... However as I put together ideas their style does not translate well in our 1980s ranch and have been really struggling with this. This are my ideas thus far... Steal clean, but much busier than my original thoughts, and more vibrant. I feel like it would being a lot of life to
    out space! Feedback welcome!

Photo 1: leather sectional, area rug, and coffee table

Photo 2: wall art to go beside mirrors (the pink one will be large and go to the left of the mirror, the blue/black one will be smaller and go to the right and be clustered with the elephant and a canvas photo)

Photo 3:
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    yo need those to pieces of art on the back wall, not flanking the mirror. I like the idea of leather but not a sectional. sofa love seat and chair would be best. love the rug, and the pillows,
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Continued from above...

Photo 3: throw pillow, end table, curtains, throw

Photo 4: floor lamp, media console, throw pillow, and chair

(See below)
    Photo 5: throw pillows, and bookshelves (to go against backseat behind love seat- this one will go in between two standard white bookshelves taking up 8 of the 13.5 feet on the wall)... Plan to place books, vases, etc... Use the bottom for children storage bins
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @flairlighting I was hoping to use a bookshelf to fill that space on that back wall... Our entry way will have a wall of family photos etc... I dont want all walls covered with art/photos/etc... Too busy for me. The wall with the rectangular mirrors is a 25 foot wall (hard to gauge bases of two pictures). Its very bare and what you see when you walk in the front door. My rationale for the bookshelves, etc...
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    If you think walls covered with art are too busy, you're going to be sorely disappointed when you start filling those shelves. I think you've gone way overboard here--sorry--and there's not much variety in the things you've chosen. Also please remember, with a sectional, you will be locking in the furniture arrangement in this room.
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @groveraxle its not that its necessarily too busy- poor word choice on my end but maybe a little monotonous (for me at least). We originally had a sectional in the room that sat parallel to the original
    TV position and it was very comfortable and provided more seating (for our large family and friends). Hindsight we wish we had stuck with that because it works with both room arrangements... We will see how it all goes with our current sofa predicament with PB. You mentioned there is not a lot of variety in the new design. Do you have suggestions to what could add more variety? The color palette is black/white/fuschia (mild fuschia). There are several different patterns between the carpet, throw pillows, and chair. Thanks again for your feedback!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    oh ya i forgot about the shelf! i think you should get the entry done, and shelf... new sofa first then finish of the mirror wall...
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! It is difficult to decide where to start... I am just making sure I have a well formulated plan before I make anymore purchases. Its a domino effect to say the least!
  • jansgirl
    9 years ago
    You should start w/ a rug. Really. It is easier to coordinate drapes, paint and everything that follows than trying to find a rug that goes w/ your art......Step 1: choose a rug!!
  • Amanda Roderick
    9 years ago
    I would do a nice solid color wool rug, and cotton velveteen pillows. Keeping it simple is more serene.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Your second painting has a bit of teal. Throw a bit of that in the mix. If you're getting the chevron area rug, skip the diamond throw pillow.
  • Jayna Brafman
    9 years ago
    @jschlemm where did you find those large art canvases? They are great!

Also, has this been suggested yet? That if you are separating the one big room into a living area and an entry way/landing strip, perhaps placing the loveseat at the opposite side of the long sofa, so it's back is to you when you walk in the front door. Then you can place your two chairs facing the loveseat, but the art can be seen whilst sitting on either sofa. Still keep that sharp L angles, it fits the room perfectly. A sofa table behind the loveseat is nice. And some fashionable storage bins, under the sofa table can hold diaper changing supplies, blankets, soft toys, burp rags etc. all essential items that are within reach, but tucked away when you've put baby bed and want to admire your home, not baby stuff. As toddlerhood arrives, you'll want to have a place to put toys, so you don't have to look at them after he/she is in bed. Again, an under table ottoman or nice storage boxes, since you will see these when you first walk in the door.
  • Jayna Brafman
    9 years ago
    One of these guys...
  • ycity
    9 years ago
    I haven't followed the whole thread but wanted to add that I love the navy rug and pillow accents, and the white tv cabinet from the pictures you have shown.
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @ycity did you mean the first grouping of photos with the navy rug, or the most recent grouping that has the black/flax rug?
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @jayna the art is from minted- lots of beautiful prints, many sizes, frames, and fair prices! Minted.com
  • Natasha Assa
    9 years ago
    We have the exact same room size 25'x13' and decided to place seating arrangement in the middle, not the end of the room. To maximize use of space we opted for a sectional with two armchairs on the opposite end, anchored by an entertainment unit across. This allows for a convenient console at the back of the sectional, facing the entryway and serving as a catchall for keys, phones and shoes, plus two table lamps, for extra light. We also put an electric fireplace across from the console on the wall next to the entry door, which makes it very nice and warm in the winter. On the other side of the seating arrangement, we put a dining table with a lovely view outside. So that allows for both -multifunctional use of space and coziness when sitting down for conversation or TV watching. You do not have to have a dining area in this room, but instead make a secondary seating arrangement, play area, a desk, or anything else you might want.
  • ycity
    9 years ago
    First grouping with navy rug and pillows!!! It would look great with your existing furniture.
  • kdfiles
    9 years ago
    I don't think everybody read your post throughly.
    I agree the love seat and tv need to trade places.
    How about an electric fireplace with the tv on top, instead of an "entertainment " center. That will cozy up the room!
    A square padded ottoman, you can use a tray to display chatdckees. Keeping things from baby's reach.
    Chunky end tables with brass lamps.
    It seems to me your choosing's are almost nautical, that may be the way to go. I like the striped rug and red accents. Add in some brass and related artwork and you have it.
    Good luck, you have a great start!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I like the room and believe you can make it awesome...bring the smaller sofa over to make the larger sofa and smaller sofa create a right angle. put a lamp table in between and bring in a rug to create the family room area. Make the rug large enough to also anchor a couple of chairs and possibly another table. The focal point of the TV entertainment center needs to become the focus...so all furniture needs to be geared towards this area.
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey all! Thanks for all of the honest feedback and guidance. After sitting on the most recent design I put up (black/white with pink accents)- I do feel like it is a bit too much and would be something we would tire of quickly. The style is also not very cohesive with the rest of our home. We also will be returning the PB slipcovered sofas displayed in the photos. We plan for a leather sectional to optimize the seating. Here is my latest collaboration for an area rug, pillows, wall art and accessories. The initial posting of the navy/pink is beautiful but too subdued for us, and the rug was very nautical (to us) and restrictive when it came to accessorizing the look. We will revisit that back wall and media console after we complete this part of the room. The look is cleaner, lighter, but still keeps the room interesting with the many patterns with the pillows. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Color scheme:
    Navy/green/coral
    Photo 1: leather sectional, rug, and coffee table

Photo 2: mirrors, wall art for above sectional (square one to the left of mirrors, circular art and elephant to the right)

Photo 3: throw pillows and gold end table

Photo 4: club chairsx2 to face back wall (back of chairs parallel to entryway), throw pillows, end table
  • jschlemm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Photo 5: throw pillow, throw (in coral
    color), and floor lamp for behind sofa
  • vickicz
    9 years ago
    Liked other style better.
  • ybxhctq
    9 years ago
    Not sure how much room is behind your love seat with this set up, but have considered using that wall as feature wall with shelving similar to this flanked with plants or lamps or even this IKEA built in hack.
  • shop till U drop
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Two things that have been mentioned make me nervous with a baby on the way. First stay away from a floor mirror. Babies like to pull themselves up on anything they can and mirrors are dangerous. You don't want it tipping over on the baby. Secondly, reconsider a shelving unit, unless it is attached to the wall. Like chests that tip over on babies, shelving units have the same problem. You'll want things out of reach for your little one, so you don't have to worry about what he/she is grabbing. At this point, if you want shelves to display photos, etc, I would go with a pretty wall mounted one, perhaps with different levels, in black to accent your mirror.

I agree, pick out a large rug to anchor your couches and chairs - the front legs of all should be on the rug - in a color that matches or picks up the color of your drapes. I would recommend an abstract pattern with the blue, teal and coral. Patterned rugs don't show spills near as much as plan ones do. You need the pop of color on the floor to draw everything together. Pick up these same colors in your pillows and your art. Keep your sofas neutral. When you tire of the pillows, they are easy to trade out and give your room a whole new look. I do like the idea of picking up a vibrant color from your rug, drapes or art for your chair - this I would do in a plain color - or small pattern or stripe. You still want the room to be restful and a place to relax. Too many patterns makes a person feel agitated and stressed.

The television looks much better on the wall by the window and you won't have the glare. A couch and love seat give you much more flexibility in room arrangement than a sectional. Sectionals tend to make the room feel very full. I would suggest before buying the sectional to get the dimensions and mark it out in your room. You may be surprised how much room it takes. I like the idea of a couch and love seat because then you have a place to add a lamp between them on a square table. The table needs to be big enough to fill the space. It should almost touch both sofas. Lighting adds so much to a room. A pretty lamp would also be another place to add a pop of color from your rug. The table also provides a place to set a drink or maybe a framed photo. I love the idea of hiding toys behind the love seat. I would buy fabric baskets to put them in, so it is still a little organized. Your little one, when he/she gets old enough, will be able to help put them away before bed. Be sure to leave enough room so you can comfortably walk behind the love seat. A mirror and art on the wall behind the love seat would still work. Your eye doesn't care if the object in front is directly under it. Colorful art would pull you into the room and the mirror would reflect light from the window. They would be flat enough to not hinder walking behind the love seat. Just don't hang them too high. They need to look like they are only about six inches above the back of the sofa - the center of the art should be at about four to five feet off the floor and it needs to be big enough to not be lost on the wall.

Hope these ideas help. Whatever you do, have fun, enjoy the experience. Take your time and don't buy until you find something you love. You'll know when you find it! You'll be glad you put the effort into making this a room you love being in.

• shop till U drop
    6 years ago

InSinkErator Badger 15ss Non-corded 3/4-HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal · More Info
    This is the kind of shelf that would look really pretty behind your sofa. Put something with a pop of color on it, perhaps a small vase, along with other personal treasures. Add art beside it that includes the same color. See photos on Houzz for ideas of how others have used it. I love putting your family's initial in the center square.

Rather than hanging your mirrors side by side, I would put one on either side of a colorful piece of art on the wall behind your love seat. You are continuing your square, black theme but aren't making it too symmetrical. You could even stagger the height of the mirrors. Hang the left one higher than the right one or hang one vertically and the other one horizontally. The mirrors and this shelf play off each other.

• shop till U drop
    6 years ago

Loloi Rugs Lyon Collection Blue and Multi, 7'7"x10'5" · More Info

Vida Contemporary Abstract Multi-Color Rectangle Area Rug, 8' x 10' · More Info

Safavieh Monaco Collection MNC225 Rug, Pink/Multi, 8' X 11' · More Info

Oriental Weavers Emerson 4776A 7'10"x10' Multi Rug · More Info

Here are 4 Houzz rugs that might work. Each one gives a different vibe. I was sure of your exact drapery color or if these blend with them. With each of these, you can pick out one color of your accent chair and lamp and maybe use two colors for your pillows. Carry the same colors into your wall art.