Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robyn_shelton2011

Redesign on a budget

Robyn Shelton
11 years ago
I am moving into this home and I only have a $5000 budget to update my kitchen. We would like to update the countertops to granite and replace the backsplash. I don't want to paint or update the cabinets because I do not want the added expense. All of the white appliances will stay except the old owner's fridge will be replaced by our stainless steel fridge. On the first photo you can see that there is a butler's pantry in the background. The cabinets all have brushed nickel knobs/pulls. The wall color is a sage green. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should go for? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    I think it's a really nice kitchen and actually like the white counter tops and appliances with the honey oak(?) cabinets. I wonder, if you could live with the counters for a while and just install a back splash for now? The counters look to be in good condition. With the money you save, you could paint the walls a nice warm grey. My favorite is Pale Oak by Benjamin Moore. It works really well with warm wood tones. Or you could splurge a little and get a really wonderful back splash tile!

I love this marble herringbone mosaic for a kitchen back splash application:

Seeley Master Bath B · More Info

If you decide to go all out with the counters as well, consider quartz. They require less maintenance, have sparkles is them and have a huge pallete to choose from. Whatever you do, it'll look great because you have a really nice foundation. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    Steeley, I think you mean quartzite, quartz is really quite fragile for countertops. Quartzite does not etch and is extremely hard. :)
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    PS Steeley, unless you are referring the manmade quartz: •Engineered Stone Countertops
    This is a manufactured material that is often referred to as “quartz” because it is more than 90 percent crushed quartz stone with enough polymer to hold it together in large slabs. It is fabricated into countertops and backsplashes from the slabs, and is available in a number of vibrant colors and in several patterns. It is very hard and durable, can’t stain and will take the heat of a pot. Because it is manmade, it is uniform in look, but has a depth that is unique to manufactured countertop surfaces. Sadly, this is more expensive than either marble or granite so it may not be in a $5000 budget. :(
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I am afraid the granite countertop alone would cost $ 5000, but you could change the hardware and add some area rug to warm up the kitchen.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- Sorry Robyn , you don't have enough money to do new counter tops right now . Your kitchen looks real nice , I wouldn't even change the backsplash right now - it's just a waste of money. Just paint or wallpaper the walls . Work in the color of the backsplash to your wallpaper choice or in some decor items. Put the money you save in a fund to start saving for what you want for your kitchen in the future.In the mean time you can plan and save ideas and find out about counter tops and other building materials for your new kitchen when the the funds are there.
  • sharleeg
    11 years ago
    Robyn, you have great bones to work with! My first thought is that with that budget, i would immediately look to replace the oven and micro in white, because once you do the fridge in stainless they are really going to stand out like a sore thumb and you can buy granite or anything else and it won't matter. That's all anyone's eye will be drawn to.
    Though everyone wants granite first .. this is not an option YET with the budget. After those appliances, i would paint the cabs to update them. There are products that work well to hide oak grain , specially made for this.( Ben Moore) Depends what you like.. off-white, pale gray ( yes!) or green gray. I would really not worry about the backsplash if you don't have budget for counters yet, but whatever you choose will limit your choices later.. don't want to do that! Can you live with that counter and backsplash? If it is only temporary, there are paints made for tile, which i would not recommend unless it is only temporary for backsplash application.
    A beautiful warm gray for room will do wonders too.(hmm, maybe you can pint out those diamond tiles in gray too... just for now, properly prepped and painted with appropriate paint or if you are braver a brighter accent color since you know they will not sty if you don't like it.)
    Of course, new hardware for the cabs! Keep with the brushed nickel look. It's a good one!
    All of these changes, while not too costly will go a long way to give you an elegant , updated look!
    Bring in towels with pops of great color, and other accessories in fresh colors, maybe a lime green for instance.
    Best of luck! Enjoy!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Agree that all stainless appliances would be a wise investment and a great jump start to the dream kitchen you are envisioning. Also consider repainting in a more sophisticated olive green which would compliment the honey oak cabinets. Add some pendants over your island and lower the height of your dining area's chandelier. It is hung way too high over the table.
    Rustic Modern Kitchen · More Info
  • sharleeg
    11 years ago
    agree with michigammemom, if you are going to keep the honey oak, an olive green would be great on walls .. and I also noticed that very high DR chandelier..
  • Robyn Shelton
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I spoke with my husband and he said that as long as we don't go over $10,000 we should be fine. Of course we want to keep it as cheap as possible, but we want to get it done and do it right. What about ideas with this revised budget?
  • sharleeg
    11 years ago
    You should be able to do granite, backsplash,new oven n micro( as long as you aren't buying high end appliances) ,paint cabs, add new hardware and it will look amazing!I Didn't really take notice of the white dishwasher before. If your cabs become cream, you might leave it if it is in good shape and put on a panel.. there are magnetized panels that go right over your front.. just dollars I just did this for my son's house.( can't think of the co. name but Google it..) If not cream though, you will still be bothered by that strip of white on the top I think. If you have budget, change it out.
    I think new paint for the entire space is a given.. so depends on your color palette of choice.. so many options.. however your floor tile is the one element you need to work around and it is warmer beige.Creamy off white cabs perhaps to update that honey oak older cab look ( luckily the style of door is great, not that cathedral arch often seen years ago on oak). Add an area of interest with the backsplash above the stove..a pattern of some sort to set that area off as different.
    Look at lots and lots of pics and start compiling the ones that appeal to you and study them. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    I agree with pauli on living there for a year or so first. What bothers you at first is not always what bothers you later and who knows what may come up that ranks as urgent in the first year. Think about allowing your home to evolve as you live there. Will give you more time to save as well!
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I agree with replacing the appliances. However, it might be possible to purchase just the front panel for the dishwasher. I know that Kitchenaid offers this product.

Once you have the appliances in place, you might need a different color on the wall.

I would not paint the wood cabinets. The only think that I would change would be to get rid of the black tiles in the backsplash. I don't know if this requires destroying the whole backsplash or not.