Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (40)

• Emily H
    11 years ago
    So many pretty rooms to choose from in this one!
  • Paul_Kenning Stewart
    11 years ago
    All are wonderfully unique so on that note, it has to be personal taste. My fav is JTID INC 'Santa Monica Project'! Thank you for an excellent selection to choose from....
  • PRO
    Liza Hausman
    11 years ago
    Agree - it's Santa Monica for me - beautiful artwork!
    11 years ago
    Santa Monica but all are nice...
  • habeeba
    11 years ago
    the white rock house is modern with clean lines
  • Momof5x
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I couldn't vote and like last time ( on dining rooms) as I can't find in them what I will personally feel it will make a dining room. I do love the green Chandelier though!
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Love the Candace C. dining room. Just really like a classic, black and white palette.
  • PRO
    Marie Meko, Allied ASID
    11 years ago
    I am with Charmean on this one! The mix of styles is an awesome combination that creates a warm elegant and relaxed room.
    Marie
  • myosotis
    11 years ago
    I like the architectural details, but that's it.
  • Emily H
    11 years ago
    I ended up choosing Robbs Run. Something about the red chairs...
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    I like Noonatch Cottage for its intimacy although that table is too small for too many dishes. Love the turquoise. However, Robbs Run has an erudite sophistication while promoting intimate conversations. I can see hobnobing with writers, profs, musicians and thinkers in this room.
  • Rose L.
    11 years ago
    I like the black and white with the green chandelier. Looks like I'm not the only one!
  • Beth Morrow
    11 years ago
    Love this room, the only thing different I would do is add different fabrics in the chairs just to add a little warmth to the room, or different chairs all together. Room is stunning!
  • Wendy Tomoyasu
    11 years ago
    Love the Black and White dining room. So chic & elegant!!!
  • razzle123
    11 years ago
    i love the black and white, that is my go to colors when i need a break like after xmas. and the mirrors ahh. so pretty.
  • Chandani
    11 years ago
    I love elements of all of them...but overall, I love the drama of the black and white room.
  • dimakhalaf
    11 years ago
    Each one has it's beautiful elements that make it special. It's a matter of taste, each one has a different taste. My own dining room would probably look something like the White Rock House, coz it goes with my own style, but the dining room that ''wowed'' me was the 'Black and White'. Great contrast! Even the green chandelier, though may be I wouldn't think of buying one if one my own, seeing it here makes me wonder ......!
  • PRO
    Deborah Bettcher - Decorating Den Interiors
    11 years ago
    My vote was black and white as well. The floor to ceiling windows and wonderful architectural details in contrasting colors is exciting. Although I appreciate the refined design qualities of the chairs- fine line of black trim on top, slivery metal arms, when I imagine dining there, something about the chairs feels cold and hard.
  • zealart
    11 years ago
    Santa Monica. Killer floors, great artwork, simple and functional for dinners and every day use
  • Faireden
    11 years ago
    Traditional for me! I also liked the Black and White and the Noonatch Cottage, but the formal balance tipped the scale (ha ha)!
  • Autumn Barnum
    11 years ago
    #1 because I liked the colors andthe unique design!
  • PRO
    Hides and Co.
    11 years ago
    #2 I love the black and white dining room with lovely green chandelier.
  • GizV
    11 years ago
    I didn't like any of these. I like natural textures, informality, and warmth. These all felt cold and impersonal. Robbs Run came closest because of the books.
  • susand5
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I voted Black & White. That is one special room!
  • needshave
    11 years ago
    I Prefer Kate Jackson's design. Nice simplistic design that is very robust and full of interesting details if you want to look for them, your immediate attention is drawn to the center of your room, your actual dining experience and each other. Too harsh a contrast in the black and white and some of the others, Traditional is my second pick except for the furnishing.
  • bsimpkins
    11 years ago
    LOVE the dramatic contrast which accentuates the beautiful architectural details of the room!!
  • garden52
    11 years ago
    I like Noonatch/Kate Jackson. The look is pleasing to the eye and soul -when I saw the room I knew I it was my style. Causal and comfortable.
  • PRO
    Bowden Carroll Design
    11 years ago
    Robbs Run for me, mainly so that I could scan their book collection...
  • renomama8385
    11 years ago
    Kate Jackson's cottage for me! So welcoming and intimate. I might add a little color though.
  • PRO
    Design Concepts/Interiors, LLC
    11 years ago
    I love the contrast in this dining room. Also, the chartreuse chandelier is a wonderful juxtaposition, providing a great focal point.
  • PRO
    Chelsea McGraw Storybook Murals
    11 years ago
    If we're going stark white and black, I like the balance in the Axis Mundi dining room. The simplicity of the modern pedestal table works really well with the chandelier and the vertical accent of the chair legs. Nice understated color accent with the red glass goblets. I always prefer to dine around a circular table. The conversation seems to more easily include everyone. If this was just a color preference, I would chose the Santa Monica job. I like the natural wood and white with an excellent choice in art for the wall.
  • gigibaby
    11 years ago
    I don't believe I'll vote in this poll, and the reason is clear. These don't really pass the " Dining Room" concept. They look more like artistic statements rather than a room for eating. I really didn't see a " Dining Room" here. Maybe I'm not artistic enough.
  • needshave
    11 years ago
    Wendy,

I totally agree with you. I believe most here are conference room, work out room or Jetson's inspired. Kate Jackson was the closest I could get to a residential dining room.
  • GizV
    11 years ago
    Ah ha! Now I understand why these didn't appeal to me. None are set up for a meal. No place settings, no flowers or candles. Now I know why my dining table collects paper and other things. Thank you all for your "conference" room comments. You have given me insight to my dilemma about dining rooms in general.
  • marimath
    11 years ago
    Yikes...which one is my favorite? Not one of these rooms seem to offer a warm, inviting dining experience.
  • Paul_Kenning Stewart
    11 years ago
    Interesting comments (especially near the end). To 'me' a 'Designers' job is 'creating' an interesting unique space 'custom made' for the Client to reflect the location and architecture which 'defines' the space and allows 'flexibility'. A 'Decorator' comes in afterwards to 'decorate' it which reflects the rooms usage ie plates & napkins and chachka. The (most popular) black and white D/R is that of a 'Decorator' being obvious to the rooms 'intent'. BUT, all of the comments are excellent and gives insight into what would otherwise be quite straight forward....love these blogs.....every day is a learning experience which I believe defines what 'Design' is all about!
  • needshave
    11 years ago
    It not working for me Paul. I'm reflecting upon your thoughts above and I'm struggling a bit. In my opinion the role of the designer is to design a room, in this case a dining room for dining. Residential dining at that. There is a clear cut intent here and a defined purpose. In the examples we looked at, I don't see dining in most. I think many will agree with me, I see many possible uses for those rooms, but not dining. Actually one in particular is screaming for a universal gym and stretching mats.

But I digress, The designer can't blue sky an idea, in this case an alleged dining room and expect a decorator to pull it out of the fire.That's probably not going to happen. I know every designer wants to work on the cutting edge and attempt that new conceptual landmark, but the overall intent must be the sole responsibility of the designer and I believe they have lost their way here. I believe the decorator will enhance the design through his or her actions, but as Wendy stated
    "it is important to have a dining room look like a dining room" and that is the designers responsibilities.I don't think you can decorate a gym and make it a dining room,
  • fnstf
    11 years ago
    as mentioned, all have some noteable attributes. For myself,I like the white rock house - the ceiling and design are timeless and reminiscent of a Scandanavian feel. I can see a dinner party with the outdoors lit, candles, and lots of ambiance. Cozy, even tho the room is large. Love all the storage as well. To me, it is a dining room for entertaining in a style I embrace.
  • Paul_Kenning Stewart
    11 years ago
    Hi 'needshave' great remarks (though curious which is the universal gym?). Every 'designer' brings adventure and personality to each project. Here they are D/R's and I get your point but stylistically the elements which define each space also compliment the dwelling they are located in, and provide flexibility to other uses especially if the 'home' has limited 'public space'. Personally 'I' prefer this flexibility only because of my own experiences with home ownership. One thing I have 'vowed' to myself is never allow a 'trophy room' in my home again (the one that's under-used). This happens because it's a lack of personal availability to entertain, so 'my' lifestyle has become casual at home, 'style' has become paramount and function is what it 'becomes'. So, in reference to the comments here they are 'well received' by me when clarifying the 'needs of my Clients' which I do. BUT I've now added 'extra notes' to present (luckily, I'm hired for what they know of my work) I'm 'flexible' but an old dog can always learn 'new tricks', LOL!)