Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rileyspal

TV Room Decor

rileyspal
11 years ago
It's decision time for redecorating. We have one window with white blinds and an 8 ft. patio door with pale grey verticals. Room to be painted pale grey, trim white. Modern area rug purchased, colours white, teal, lime(ish), black background. Want to make aqua toned side drapes for windows & coordinating throw cushions to soften and bring in more color, but noticed that drapes are often not used in rooms now. Any advice?

Comments (17)

• andrecooper247
    11 years ago
    Our TV room had huge sliding doors and it backed up on 2 acres of beautiful woods. The view was stunning and there were no privacy issues so we did not use window treatments. The view was like a piece of art. In addition, we didn't need to control the light since we rarely watched TV. If you want to control the light and/or privacy, definitely go for the window treatments.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Even with the most beautiful view and no need for privacy, I still think a window looks unfinished without some sort of treatment on it. It's like a picture without a frame, a cake without the icing on top, a little black dress with no jewellery, etc. etc. You can mount your drapes on a rod that extends well past the actual window glass, so the drapes (when drawn back) only cover some of the wall and the window trim. No part of the view is lost.

Also, at night, no matter what lies outside, you are looking at flat black glass. Think of winter nights with the wind howling outside a dark window--it's much cosier to pull the drapes across and enjoy the interior of your home. You can get this effect even with linen sheers--it doesn't have to be something heavy or even lined.
  • andrecooper247
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Perhaps we ran out of $$$ and just got used to the lack of window treatments. I'm probably rationalizing, but I wouldn't add them now...but I love your analogies and am inclined to agree with them and your agruments.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    LOL, sorry if I came on too strong there. It's purely a personal decision whether to have drapes or not. I believe in them strongly and they are one of my favourite design elements. People do get used to bare windows and don't notice the lack of them. However, those who have them, and temporarily remove them for cleaning or for painting the room, really notice their absence and miss them...
  • zenhome
    11 years ago
    Cynthia, some people prefer no side drapes and it has nothing to do with money. On another one of your comments with regards to a thin or thick drapery rod, you made the assumption that some people opted for a thin rod as they didn't have the money for a thick rod. Some people just prefer a thin rod!! Great to give your opinion when people ask, but we shouldn't make assumptions.

Rileyspal, there has been a return lately to draperies and they would probably look lovely as you described. I always find that draperies soften a space, but just blinds or shades look good too when you want a sleeker more contemporary look.

Good luck in your decision! Love to see some photos after.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Be great to have pics of your windows.

I once had custom $$$ drapes in my bedroom that blocked out too much of my rather dark bedroom's light. Kept rod but replaced those with...two tablecloths from Target. The colors, pattern were just what I had in my mind's eye. Got more compliments on those, "Wow, must have been expensive!", etc.

Curious: What are you doing for a coffee table?
  • zenhome
    11 years ago
    Pcmom, love the creativity and yes spending big bucks isn't always the best look.
  • rileyspal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated! Here is a photo of the patio doors (which I wish were French doors). Large perennial gardens outside the door on 1/2 acre, so it's a room with a view. The cabinet with tv is going to be replaced by a wall-hung tv and a console.

Trying to decide on type of coffee table pcmom1 - looking for something in reclaimed (grey) wood and iron, and similar for console under tv. The rug is geometric with large size squares crossing each other 8 x 5.

Cynthia, I didn't read that you recommended a thin rod, but that's what I'd want, in a pewter colour. Think I will go for pinch pleats, for side panels only. Have discovered some fabulous fabric online in the US. (I live 1 hr. from Toronto) and love the drapes Sarah Richardson (HGTV) has made for her clients.
  • zenhome
    11 years ago
    Rileyspal, yes for the thinner rod which is a leaner more modern look. Cynthia prefers the thick drapery rods, as per her comments on other discussion threads. Her reference to people using a thinner rod is that they probably ran out of money and couldn't afford the thicker drapery rod - lol!
  • betsyweisberg
    11 years ago
    Supon Phornirunlit/ Naked Decor · More Info

Love the idea that these white drapes will disappear when pulled aside.
    Good luck love the direction you are going!
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    The room sounds well thought out, I have two suggestions, paint the trim using your grey wall color cut 25% or a bit more with white so the trim and doors don't pop. They are there, but not glaring. I am not a fan of doors, to me unless with glass or 8' tall, tney should blend they are functional. And, they take away from your room.

You did really well on your sofa, however the photo is a little small above the sofa.

One suggestion, I just happen to live in a beautiful city and I was staying in a hotel in the city for a few'days. We were working on my house, and needed a piece of art work for one area. The book had outstanding photos of the city and I called the photographer, gave him my size asked for a metallic paper for printing it, he signed and numbered this particular one and for not a lot of money I had a beautiful sized signed piece of art work. And remember not everything has to be done on one day.
    Another great object to hang is a great old barn door sideways, or some other piece of architectural item you might find. Pair of beautiful lead windows etc. A Turkish mirror.
    I just purchased one at auction for 75.00 What's missing is who you are? Frame a tea shirt from a favorite resort with a pair of slippers from the hotel. Think fun and funky.

Lighting. I think you need go address lighting. A free standing surveyors lamp is always a good one, probably pottery barn or one of those stores or www.bellacor,.com my lighting web site. Go go clearance first. End tables simple glass cubes or the new lap top, move around table. I only know one manufacturer for you to try, but a good web site for ideas is www.spec simple.com hit directory, pick residential once I side, inside residential hit what you are looking for tables, chairs, fabric etc and all the manufacturers will come up. These are too expensive to buy from, it will give you all the furniture, fabrics etc you will ever wamt to see. And tons of ideas.

Drapes
    I love drapes, and I love summer drapes and changing the carpet to rattan and the drapes to white flowing summer drapes. And winter heavy winter drapes with backs for liners'and black out. To me you can never have too many drapes. I hang valences tied like a mans tie from tne 14 ' tall windows long flowing scarves in different colors beige brown creme. look great.
    Sometimes I braid them.everyone loves them.

From your space, it looks like you could go one of two really cool types.

1. A grey teal geometric or a grouping. Sometimes, I will do drape, sheer, velv
    et, silk a mixture of fabrics each is their own so you can make groups of the. same or sometimes I just mix them up and repeat the pattern, I think you are probably young and have a good time so have fun with your space.

2. The grommet drapes are big at the moment and if you can sew you can make these or go online and purchase them. The second thought is the double rod, you do one rod of sheers and one rod of grommets. You could as someone suggested go off the window frame which you will have to do since you have sliders. I suggest you go to either Loews or home depot for 49.00 they sell a kit where you put up a frame around
    your window, drill in skinny blinds 1/4-1/2 inch and then on top goes another piece of glass. You know have blinds sand which between two pieces of glass. They have small tabs for opening and closing or for raising. So for privacy while you look for fabrics for privacy and 150.00 you can have immediate privacy. Gives you time to find what you want.

Colors

You have a ton of choices, go to www.maharam.com and just look at the patterns to get an idea. Then locate your fabric store. There are lots of geometric patterns, two and three color . This year, circle lines, funky designs lots of fun fabrics and bright . colors are being shown. All different blends and washable, no iron, my kind of fabric. Stain resistant, wine,foods, etc..

Soft weave, grey silk, see throughs sheers great when closed or open, All the different fabrics just bring a different feel to the windows.

Right now double run on one double rod. The rod closest to the window get the sheer and the second rod get the grommets. You can also hang a bath towel rod drilled into the ceiling's and hang from there grommet style drapes, they fold nicely from the window and do not get messed going in and out the sliding doors. They are not on top of them.

These rods and drapes are at Bed bath and beyond we just used them for a college students first apartment.

Still colors, I would seriously consider doing a teal and grey geometric from the 50's pattern. It would be fun. Or you could do grey, white, grey, white pattern.
    Look through the books for colors,
    I think your room could use one of the following a floor lamp and a surveyors lamp and shade jump out at me, it is a cool tripod surveyors bottom with great shade. Or hang a cluster of lights from the ceiling by the sofa ends. you could do your teal, white green etc. Or jist a shade in your own fabric, I saw that on a web site and if you google build your own shade it will come up.

ok I found you site Lamps Plus design your own lamps shade and wall art and the first color was teal on a cool lamp and teal'and'white wall aft. You have to go there, amazing.

ok curtains. design your own fabric. www.spoon flower.com and curtains lots medallion curtains go slow through them , my first instinct was to shut it down, but they did have a pretty white fabric with an azure twist design, very subtle and took me a while to find.

That's it, have fun, I hope that was helpful, let us know now you do.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I'm not clear about your windows. I believe you mentioned a slider you have covered in a soft gray vertical? You also mention a single window done with blinds? Then you mention windows (plural) you are thinking to flank with turquoise draperies. So, how many windows do you have (not counting the sliding door.). Also, what stays (as opposed to going to the trash)?)
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Dear COConsultants:

I want to see pictures of your living room changed out for all the different seasons!

And, good point about adding "you" to the room. A couple's interests/loves should be shown in the room (for me it is travel so I have books, old maps, keys, etc.).
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    hi PC, I tried to upload photos, but they do not work for me. I just did it send me your e mail there I can attach a JPEG with no problems. I do that all the time. It could be this is my relaxation forum and I enjoy reading what people suggest and having an opportunity to perhaps assist someone. This is a great forum with a lot of wonderful designs, I have found many new products and ideas. Thank you
  • gunnsharon
    11 years ago
    I have lived for 30 years with a contemprary living room ( with a view of a river) and no drapes . It is a window wall with a patio slider and two side windows. First when we built the house it was the cost of the drapes but then I could make them myself. I just never found anything that really suited such a view. One thing I do think the room would be warmer with drapes. I am seriously thinking of hanging drapes in the winter and a lighter mesh in the summer especially since we replaced our wall to wall carpet with hardwood and I might want to muffle sounds. I understand your dilemma but if there is no need for privacy and you have a lovely view I would not be too concerned.
  • rileyspal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Sharon, I have definitely decided to go with side panel drapes. I have the blinds on the door and window if I need them to block sun or cold, but agree with you that the room would look warmer with drapery. There is some fabulous fabric out there, can make my own, and like both traditional and modern rooms, and want to have the best of both. The room tends to be somewhat dark due to an overhanging upper deck, so want to see some cheerful color when I enter the room.