Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melboca

Revisiting family room layout

melboca
11 years ago
I had previously posted about my family room. I decided that I bought a sectional that was really too small for the room and doesn't offer enough seating.

I am going to the furniture store to add additional seating.

Do I choose a chaise type, arm chair, suck up and buy a sectional that is bigger? Obviously I would rather keep the sectional I have since it's fairly new.

To refresh here are the pictures.

Thanks so much,

Melissa
chaise
arm chair
larger sectional
other, please explain

Comments (13)

• ruthmand
    11 years ago
    Why is it too small? You could move the ottoman out of center, use it for seating and get a round(?) coffee table. You could get a sofa table to put behind the sofa if the area between it and windows is to wide. You could get an end table with a lamp or a stand up lamp, an area rug to better defining your seating area... I think you have lot of options that would salvage your purchase.
  • PRO
    DaVinci Floors & Granite
    11 years ago
    I don't think it's too small, you just need some additional pieces like ruthmand was saying. Pull it back from the tv, closer to the windows, even add sofa table as suggested, consider repurposing the large ottoman elsehwere in your home and get 2 smaller ottomans that will float and double as seating, add armchair against wall, end table with lamp for more intimate lighting. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Liza Hausman
    11 years ago
    I think two modern chairs - not heavy looking - flanking the TV would look nice and make it a conversational space. What about moving the hockey table behind the couch?
  • swisner
    11 years ago
    Do you want just more seating or do you want to style it out? It needs warmth and texture. You need a great, large rug. Yes a rug on top of carpet. Pull the sofa back and then look for either two white chairs or two red chairs with great fabric and comfort and have them face the sofa so they flank each side of the television. Get rid of that pillow with the red flower on it so the pillows are balanced on each side. Consider a sofa table on the back of the sofa to place some interesting objects that look good on both sides (ie if you put a frame, you don't want to be staring at the back of the frame from the other side), things like a plant. You need some plants or flowers in there or a jar with something white in it (seashells or if this is some sort of sports area, baseballs because they are white). I can't tell what the art work is so I can't see what you are trying to do. Maybe change the black and white stripe blanket to all white.
  • PRO
    Vicki Halliday
    11 years ago
    For me, it's the ottomans that are creating the problem. I'd opt for a pair of chairs instead. It's difficult to tell from the photographs how much room you have behind the sofa but it almost looks like it could back away from the tv some. Good suggestions for a sofa table behind it as well as moving the hockey table to another area of the house. THe sectional is nice and it's plenty large for the space. Salvage it.
  • Lynnette Grant
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like the size of the sectional, any larger would overwhelm the space. I think you will find there are plenty of people who would like their own seating; and I know this because I am one of those people not fond of sectional seating unless it is with family. I think you could place two armless chairs to the right of the sectional, where the hocky game is. A contemporary patterned fabric on the chairs, in a red would make a nice statement. Place a pillow or two of the same fabric on the sofa. Try a small round ocassional table between the two chairs to break up all the square shapes you have going. You could pull the sectional backwards some and make a bit more space between it and the ottoman.
  • melboca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. I moved the sectional back as far as I could. There are french doors where you see the plantation shutters and I need a walk thru to the guest bathroom. That visually helped. I saw a red print chair that might work. I will post a picture of it.

I'm not sure where to move the air hockey table. My husband and daughter do play on it weekly.

I took off the red flower pillow and changed the blanket to a white one I had.
  • PRO
    Diane Hynes Gallery
    11 years ago
    Why don't you store the ottoman away from the sectional. It makes the area seem clogged up. It could be additional seating also. Maybe you could put it under the air hockey table. I hate the air hockey table in the room, BUT I love the fact that your husband and daughter play on it. That IS more important than looks. Maybe cover it with a nice custom made table cloth when not in use.
  • melboca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I can't stand the hockey table either & I ie Santa bought it lol.
  • PRO
    Alder and Tweed Design Co.
    11 years ago
    I agree with Liza. I think 2 chairs is the way to go. I am not 100% sold on the chair you posted; as I am not sure it is the best match for the other pieces you have in the space. A chair I might recommend would be the famous Barcelona Chair as shown. We used this in a project that you can see here... http://www.alderandtweed.com/history-behind-the-famous-barcelona-chair-we-used-in-a-interior-design-project-in-deer-valley-utah/

This particular project is much more rustic than your space, however this chair is much more fitting in a setting like yours. Let me know if I can help in any other way.
  • jannielee
    11 years ago
    Although I love the Barcelona chairs I don't think they'd be the best choice with this sectional. The room doesn't need any more leather or tufting. I actually like the red floral chairs if you have room for them. I'd suggest keeping the red flower pillow and adding some more solid red textured pillows, Though this room's purpose seems to be home theatre/game room, it could really use some softening via wood tones, round or oval shapes and natural elements. Have a look at these round carved wood side tables.
    http://www.westelm.com/products/carved-wood-side-table-g559/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables. A pair of twoes would also bring in some texture. They're easily moved around. There is a similar large round low coffee table. If you don't like the carving on the small tables they also have an organic tree trunk table that would work as well in a pair either by the sofa or by the side chairs. The wall with the hockey table seems stark. If you could find a piece of wood wall art or a natural manzanita branch it might detract from the table. If you cover the table I'd have one made to fit with inverted pleats at the corners so that it won't look frou-frou. Then a large tray could hold whatever you placed on the surface so that there would only be one thing to remove besides the cloth when they're ready to play. On that wall I'd just avoid glass or more rectangles. Some sort of fabric like a mounted kimono could even work (not in glass, just on a wood rod). You'll find something that will suit your own taste if you keep an eye out. Have fun. Good luck.
  • melboca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes this is our media/ game room. I have a formal living room to host guests so this is truly a room we use daily. The red floral chairs are not that big, I looked at the dimensions.