Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nayanikab

Bedroom storage

Nayanika
11 years ago
I have a blank wall space in the bedroom between the closet and the door. I would like to install some type of built-ins so that I can get rid of a dresser. Less furniture would make the room less cluttered. I'd love some ideas on what kind of storage would work well here. Right now, there's a mirror propped up against it!

Comments (20)

• januarisun
    11 years ago
    If you watch that TV sitting there, what do you think of a flat screen, mounted on the wall ? Do you have any other pix of the room to see how it's laid out?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Putting a built-in on that wall would make your pathway into the room a very narrow space that I think you'd not be happy with. I could see a narrow 7 drawer chest here, but would advise against a built-in.
  • Nayanika
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carolyn, I have a narrow drawer chest across from this wall. Maybe I need to move that over and use the other wall for storage. Thanks.
    Any ideas for a corner storage?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Show me a picture of the corner and I'll see what I can suggest. I need to see what else is near it. I think I see your narrow chest reflected in the mirror. Looks just right for the wall by door.

Speaking of corners, I used to have a skirted table under which I stored lots of stuff. But that was back in the day of skirted tables which are no longer as popular as they once were.
  • Nayanika
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Much appreciated. My taste is mediterranean meets asian. I moved the narrow dresser over and put the ugly one in the corner. Also, i dont plan on keeping the tv.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It's a beautiful 7 drawer chest! I'm glad you're going to lose the TV. Actually, everything you have in your photos looks quite nice. If you find that things are too crowded, you can either remove something temporarily to a friend's house or another room, or sell it. Sometimes, my husband keeps reminding me, we need to clean out our closets! He's so neat and I'm so not!

The large chest against the draperies in the top left picture...can it move to center of window or is there something else there? It is pushed into the corner like a naughty child and would like to move out a bit. Could the mirror be mounted on a wall or door?
  • Nayanika
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The window is just to the right of the bed as youre facing it. That chest is the one I want to get rid of - its too big for the room and I would like something smaller and more appropriate for that corner for storage.
    The mirror will be mounted on the door for sure. Its there temporarily.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Hi! Against better instincts, I recently placed a dresser against a corner so that it left a triangle space behind the dresser (know what I mean?). I thought I'd hate it, but it really grew on me. Maybe try that with the piece that you currently have to see if you like the idea and then when you're ready to get rid of it, look for a taller but more narrow dresser/armoire and it will look even better in that corner. (Go as tall as you can! Vertical is the best!)
    I know you asked about corner storage and, yes, corner armoires to exist, but honestly, the space inside is so awkward, I think you'd regret having such a SPECIFIC piece of furniture.
    Best of luck! Looking forward to "after" pictures. :)
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I really like the narrow chest at that location by the door ! Perhaps a piece of art or picture above the chest will help finish the look.
  • Patty Blum
    11 years ago
    i'd get rid of the larger dresser; put the 7 drawer on the wall next to the window; mirror on the door...and buy a smaller electric fireplace for the wall between the door and closet....I have a similar wall between two closet doors...fireplace makes the room so romantic and cool! if you need extra storage...maybe some type of bed that has drawers built in underneath....or if ya'll are handy...build a platform bed with drawers underneath.
  • jenny58
    11 years ago
    What about a tall bookcase with baskets on it for clothing?
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    For me, the problem is the three colors of wood in the room.....love the bed and bedside chests w/the white/neutral bedding.(the lamps could be larger, but the ones you have blend well with the bed.}....love the asian accent chest, it could go on either wall....I would look at furniture pieces that match your bed for storage that would fit either wall, leaving the asian chest as accent......if you keep the mirror, put it out of sight on the inside of the closet.
    it won't take much to make this a lovely room!
  • honeyfieldsgraincompany
    11 years ago
    To build further on what mclaughp has said, I was thinking that if you recessed your built-in into the wall and then built it out to front edge of the closet, you would have something deep enough to use as another dresser. By adding clear storage baskets, or labeling the shelves and adding lovely, lined wicker baskets, you can make everything easily accessible.

I haven't looked through all the pictures yet, but you might find something helpful as you browse through this collection of photos:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic/built_in-recessed-storage-

Have fun with this!
    I wish you the best...
  • mclaughp
    11 years ago
    Thanks js72455, I didn't think of searching Houzz for pictures, what a great website! AND I'm so glad that you understood what I was trying to say... I like your idea of baskets, dark color of course!
  • honeyfieldsgraincompany
    11 years ago
    You're welcome. If you build it only as high as a regular dresser, you could add a sconce and mirror above it or a piece of art...perhaps something you've made.

If you build it floor-to-ceiling, you leave room for extra storage of out-of-season items or extra linens that are used only in this room.

Like I said, "Have fun with this!"

BTW...I put in a search for "eclectic" built-in, recessed storage. You might want to change it to "traditional" or just leave off the "eclectic" filter and simply view "built-in, recessed storage".
  • smtp
    11 years ago
    take the large dresser and sand it, stain or paint it dark to match the tall dresser and put on similar drawer pulls to tie the pieces together. move the large dresser to the bedside closest to the closet and entry door. using it as a bedside table makes more sense and breaks up the matching bedside tables. the mirror should also be treated to a darker stain or paint and can be put on the wall abutting the window wall. this looks like a super bedroom, very calm and refreshing. possibly add in some pictures with your favorite color as predominant to bring the room to life.
  • angel12345678
    11 years ago
    Love the built-in idea---- you should consider having drawers made for some or all of the "shelving" also. I'm doing this in my bedoom- adding drawers to built-in shelving for convenient storage with gorgeous large handles.
  • Nayanika
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, all, for the input! I love the idea of the built-ins too - that was actually my frist thought. I will definitely look into that because I do want a combination of drawers and shelves for storage. The combination of recessing and building out will be perfect. If I do this, I can get rid of the lighter chest completely, which is my preference. Any idea what I could do with that corner? Plant?
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Notice in the mirror you have a great chest - this space might look good with gorgeous rattan unit - unique one at that. Against the background wall color and blending with chest in room - you create interest -