Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beagysmalls

Color Clash: painted brick fireplace is a no go

beagysmalls
11 years ago
We have original red oak floors in our home and have painted our living room walls a "soft fern" green. We thought a beige contrasting fireplace would work nicely but it just looks blah(and a little pink). We love the calm green but want our living room to feel inviting and warm. HELP!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    I really the the softness of the green with the flooring. Do you want this fireplace to be a vocal point or just blend in with the room? One thing you could do is built a white mantel and hang a piece of art above it and leave brick as is.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Paint the brick to match the white trim. Keep the green - very soothing. Check homedecorators.com for a nice area rug. If you'll be watching tv in this room put it to the right of the FP in a cabinet built to match the trim and mantel. Might even try a built-in that ties to the fp. The entire wall could work with built-in-bookshelves to the left and the tv shelf, with doors underneath and more shelves above could go on the right.
  • jayvee1
    11 years ago
    Two great ideas above. I would combine them - paint the fireplace to match the white trim and put on a white mantle piece - then the items on the mantel or a picture above could be the feature.
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    Yes, I do believe that painting the fireplace white is your best bet. Consider a simple wooden mantle piece to similar to the photo below. I'd even consider having the mantle wrap around the fireplace for added definition to the focal point.

Portola Valley Residence · More Info
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    I like the green on the walls. Would you consider painting the fireplace grey or white? The color that it is now is kind of blah. Or just add a white mantle and white trim around the fireplace would look nice also.
  • trebinje
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    We have red oak floors, natural, no stain, throughout our home. The key colors in red oak are warm tones of salmon, pink and taupe. The green walls are in conflict with the flooring, and so is the taupe of the fireplace -- it needs to be a warmer, red-based taupe. Whatever colors you choose need to harmonize with your beautiful red oak floors.
  • beagysmalls
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    As suggested we have decided to paint the fireplace the trim color. But now because the fireplace will be white I am worried about keeping it clean. Do we paint the fireplace with semigloss? Any other ideas of way to keep this area clean with paint or treatment of some kind?
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Here are two article ideabooks that may be useful. One is on how to determine whether to paint your brick or not, and the other is on how to actually go about painting it.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/interior-brick-paint-it-or-leave-it-stsetivw-vs~161722
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-paint-brick-like-a-pro-stsetivw-vs~3427156
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Nooo--really, you're going to play it safe and paint it white? I so wanted to see that color combo I sent you. Let me look for a pic of what the colors would look like together so I can show you... I'll get back with you.
  • PRO
    N.Alton Design
    11 years ago
    Go with Natalie; she sounds like she has good taste! :) and I agree with her the mint is a no go with the floors & the fireplace color turns to mud w/ all going on around it.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Black could be an option as well and gives some focus to the room.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Yes---found one. Ok, look at the wall color and the headboard. Those are as close as you can get to what I proposed. I hope this pic inspires you and your husband. I swear you were almost there with the wall color-it just needed to be a bit warmer because of the floors...
    Thanks so much Nanette-sweet of you. :) CheerS!
    http://howtolivelikeanomaniprincess.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-new-blue-and-green-room-inshaallah.html
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    As I said in my first post,-option #2 paint only the fireplace-it might give enough contrast between the floor and wall color that you won't have to change the walls... Blue is so "in"... :)
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    Hi Beagy! Are you going for the warm look and feel as seen in the photos below? If so, I think, if you'd truly like to keep the paint color the same, you can get away with painting the fireplace an "antique white" or a "cottage white," adding a mantle, and dressing the room up with other warm accessories that have a cottage/country or french country feel... adding pale yellows, pale blues (maybe some blue and white pottery), and spice tones could help bring it all together. If you want to kick the warmth of the green up just a bit (to a "sage" and "olive" or a "pea green") of course that will work also. Traditionally a slightly warmer green is "safer" with your warm floor ... but, either way, if you add lots of coordinated pillows, warm drapery, and possibly a sisal or tastefully printed rug, I think you'll really like this space when you're finished with it. [Just one tip you may already have heard is to avoid oversizing your furniture in a room like this]. :)
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Yes, please don't "play it safe" and paint the brick white! You don't need to paint the FP or change the wall color. How about a wood "floating" mantel (about the color of the brick grout) the lenght of the FP brick and then lean a piece of color complimetary artwork on the left of the mantel to make the asymetrical FP work.
  • anitajoyce
    10 years ago
    Repaint the fireplace white or a nice gray color. Add a white mantle or one similar to he wood floor color. The color it is now does nothing for the space. It;s just blah!
Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm