Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amackjr

How do you achieve the double drywall and what is it made of? I have never seen this before.

amackjr
11 years ago
Crown Molding Detail Closeup - Reveal · More Info

Comments (12)

• motherbear
    11 years ago
    I would bet that is carpentry.
  • amackjr
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the insight. Correct me if I am wrong, but seems like this look can be achieved without much expense, no? Also, it seems to give the optical illusion of a taller ceiling. Is that true in person?
  • motherbear
    11 years ago
    Click on "more info" under photo.
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    11 years ago
    You are correct - this detail does give the illusion of taller ceilings. We love the subtle sophistication it adds to a room. Thanks for the question, good luck with your project!

dSPACE Studio's portfolio of work can been seen at www.dspacestudio.com
  • kacharlie
    10 years ago
    What are the dimensions of the two additional step drywall layers? (width)
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    10 years ago
    There are two added layers of 1/2" drywall in the stepped pattern that you see in the photo. This drywall wraps the perimeter of the entire room. The drywall steps are 9" wide and 4-1/2" wide and each is finished with a drywall edge z-bead. You can change the 9" and 4-1/2" widths but we recommend the 1:2 proportion for a balanced design. Thanks for you questions. dSPACE Studio

dSPACE Studio's portfolio of work can been seen at www.dspacestudio.com
  • kacharlie
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much! We absolutely love this design.
  • kacharlie
    10 years ago
    Could you tell us the size of the crown moulding?
  • kacharlie
    10 years ago
    Is there someone I could call about the size of the crown moulding used in this idea? Our drywall man comes today.
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    10 years ago
    The crown molding in this room was 6 inches tall and 2.5" from the face of the wall. Best of Luck with your project.
    amackjr thanked dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
  • Edith Keeler
    9 months ago

Absolutely beautiful work! I can’t stop zooming in and drooling over the detail of this massive renovation. Truly spectacular!