Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgetman315

Dining Room Decorating Dilemma

kgetman315
11 years ago
We bought this beautiful old house over 10 years ago and I struggle with decorating it. I love this site and thought I would look for some advice on how to decorate my dining room. I am ready to purchase new DR furniture (dilemma: oval or rectangle and chair style), window treatments or not (dilemma: don't want to cover windows or molding), rugs, wall accents (dilemma: not a lot of wall space with all the windows and doors), lighting (chandelier?) and a new wall color. This is my favorite room in our 125+ year old house with the round windows and stained glass. I would love your decorating suggestions/advice. Thank you.

Comments (66)

• Nadia Ali
    11 years ago
    plz send some kids room ideas
  • Nadia Ali
    11 years ago
    plz send some kids room ideas
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Nadia, Please start a new post about your own design dilemma.
  • momsy
    11 years ago
    An inexpensive window treatment for now (or longer) would be tension rods inside the frames with a high quality sheer gathered top and bottom. It can go to half, full or 3/4 height, depending on your wishes. If you can sew at all, they aren't hard to make and you can afford a nicer material.
  • Pamela Bertone
    11 years ago
    I think that between the floor and trim, the room is very heavy on the brown tones and needs to be lightened up. I think a round table would be lovely and add some lucite chairs. I think upholstery is overdone in many ways and unless you want to be period in your decor, this room could become stuffy if you swing too far into the traditional look.. Dummy Pamela on either side of the windows would be great and not obstruct your view or the trim or view. For paint...complete contrast to your trim. Either super dark and moody or light and fresh. Medium tone will be muddy if you keep the trim as is.

Storage options might be limited in light of the curved walls unless you can go high end. Jacobean was suggested and if you can find a fresh palette maybe. I am curious which direction you pursue.
  • Pamela Bertone
    11 years ago
    I think that between the floor and trim, the room is very heavy on the brown tones and needs to be lightened up. I think a round table would be lovely and add some lucite chairs. I think upholstery is overdone in many ways and unless you want to be period in your decor, this room could become stuffy if you swing too far into the traditional look.. Dummy Pamela on either side of the windows would be great and not obstruct your view or the trim or view. For paint...complete contrast to your trim. Either super dark and moody or light and fresh. Medium tone will be muddy if you keep the trim as is.

Storage options might be limited in light of the curved walls unless you can go high end. Jacobean was suggested and if you can find a fresh palette maybe. I am curious which direction you pursue.
  • natalienmark
    11 years ago
    I would definitely change the chandelier to an old world antique one. I think that would be nice touch to the room. Also, I would go with an oval shaped dining set
  • bijouxjubee
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    What a wonderful room!

I have seen a Ralph Lauren metallic light gold paint that just seemed to give an elegant glow to the room.

http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/paint/Finishes/items.aspx?haid=116

There is a wide range of metallic colors. You need to see them in the store because the website photos don't do them justice. Use a couple coats of primer under the paint (whatever kind of paint you use) - it totally changes the quality of the paint job.

I would never cover the beautiful stained glass. I would consider getting some tension rods to put balloon curtains at the top of the windows with a translucent fabric or maybe lace on just the lower windows (but only if you needed it for privacy). Maybe silk drapes on the side because I just love fabric.

I would have the window glass polished to make them really sparkle. There are companies that do that with very fine steel wool. You won't believe the difference it makes on vintage glass.

Find a chandelier that takes your breath away.

Upholstered chairs around an oval table with pedestal legs on a beautiful rug with flowers, fine linens, and china on the table - can't wait to see the pictures when you finish it.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    I can imagine this room painted in a soft sagey green to compliment the beautiful old wood work. A round table sitting on a thick rug with chairs covered in rich fabric would help absorb sounds. No drapes, just a beautiful view to capture the attention of guests.
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    What a challenge this will be for you, but fun! I love the sienna table and chairs. Round is the shape that would be the most comfortable there I think. I agree with you not wanting to cover the stained glass and think a spring rod inset on each window. Would like the rod to be in the middle of the upper large pane (3/4 up from sill.) A heavy, cream color, cotton lace curtain would be in keeping with the age of your beautiful home. A lighter color on the walls like a buck wheat color. Pull the blue in from the stained glass for an accent color and a huge Boston fern on a plant stand. Find a rug that is light buck wheat in color and textured. I have a light fixture above my dining room table that would be awesome above your table too. It is off white with a tan patina. it has six arms that swoop down and then curve up with a candle look at the top. In the curve there sits a dove on each arm all in a different position. Something unique like that would be charming.
    Good luck! Will be watching for your finished room pictures with anticipation!
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Oh, I forgot to tell you that I did see a custom rod made for such a window style. Up near the ceiling and beautiful panels hanging. That way you can have them fully open to let in light or close them up when you want a more intimate setting. Some people aren't into draperies, but I love them if they are washable. :=) linen, or strong tightly woven durable silk would work. Hand wash silk, but dries super fast.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I would avoid all drapery (too fussy) and only do roman shades on the lower windows if you absolutely need them for privacy. Otherwise those windows are beautiful enough to stand on their own without any ornamentation. I agree with everyone else about a round table with leaves that turn it into an oval table, just to echo the shape of the room. But the style of table and chairs will depend entirely on what you are doing with the rest of this beautiful house. I love Arts and Crafts movement design and think a good quality Arts and Crafts movement reproduction rug would be perfect in the room, but it all depends on whether you are updating the house with more eclectic furniture combinations or more period ones. Even though the house is technically from the Victorian period, I'd avoid fussy Victorian furniture. Rather, if you are going for a period look, take the cue from your wood work and look at Stickley Furniture Company's mission line for extremely well made, Arts and Crafts movement furniture. They have gorgeous pieces.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Eclectic Dining Room · More Info

this is not formal at all, yet it is elegantly simple. See how drapery can be on the sides not in front of the windows if you'd rather have them open? :=) more to come. ideas to help imagine.
  • PRO
    GONZALO DE SALAS
    11 years ago
    Your project has such potential that is been a while since I had seen so many interesting suggestions in such a short time! I agree with Feeny that first of all you should decide what decoration style are you more into. In such Victorian atmosphere seems like the easy way would be a classical old stylish approach, but my suggestion would be do something more interesting in an eclectic way. You can create some astonishing solutions combining new and old style decoration.
    In that sense in what I may be of your help is giving you ideas for your dining table. I agree something oval, elliptical, or circular could work better with the shape of the room. I don’t like tables with leaves though, those tables tend to loose in design what they gain in functionality.
    As sculptor and top end furniture designer there are a few pieces I could see there, but all in case you want to create a contrast between a modern very impressive table with for example some classical or upholstered chairs.

Here I attach some ideas but I could have more.
    If you want to visit my site you may find more original things: www.gonzalodesalas.com/en

I have one line of furniture (Artistic Furniture Line) inspired on the sculptures I make in steel that could create something very unique in your dining room. Of course all tables are made on demand and adapted to your size needs.
    Good luck! I’d like to see an after picture of what you did.
  • kgetman315
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for the great comments. I wanted to give some additional information and pictures that may help with additional comments. I am including a picture of our house and the rooms that extend off the DR. We do use our dining room for hosting parties and would use it more if it was updated. I currently have a DR set in it I bought at an estate sale 10 years ago I want to change. The color on the wall has been painted a warm beige color now. I used these pictures because the room was empty (we had just had the floors redone) and I wanted new ideas so I can completely redo it. The doorway that is closed in the picture above leads into a butler's pantry (which I am currently stripping white paint off cupboards). We just finished renovating the kitchen which is on the other side of the butlers pantry. The photo of the wall of windows was taken from the hallway (which I also need decorating ideas:) The 2 rooms on the other side of the hall are used as a living room and family room. I had planned on submitting these rooms later for help. Our house is basically a square with 4 main rooms off a hallway both up and downstairs with a full bathroom at the end of each hallway. Also, we don't worry about privacy we are the last house on a dead end street. Its a beautiful old house and we do a lot ot the work ourselves so it takes time. I love your suggestions. Anything that can help me pull these rooms together I appreciate.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    love your dedication to an old beauty. I sense a lean towards stronger contrasts for you. :=) Maybe a cooler color accent to pop the beige, if you keep the beige.

You may get more informed answers if you post something you've seen and saved to your idea books. Thank you for posting more pictures. They help us.

About your view outside this window; if no one can see into your home at night, no curtains or coverings is fine. If people can see into this room at night, at some point you may want to use this room more often at night.

I really would rather there be nothing on your window wall since it is almost all windows. Curtains do help preserve all the work you are doing on the home, and will protect fabrics from the sun....
  • Adára Wolfe
    11 years ago
    Its beautiful! I'd go with a shiny, sheer curtain! And maybe, a couple of wing-backed chairs?
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Just wanted to say what a stunning house you have! All that gorgeous woodwork and stained glass. You have a treasure there. No way you'd find anything like that in a new construction.
  • skurland
    11 years ago
    You are so lucky to have an antique home- not use a beautiful old table to set the tone! The paneling
    and molding is so gorgeous- maybe add some contrast with contemporary art- I love to have
    something great to look at in a dining room. Starts many a good conversations too.
  • Melissa Briggs
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful room. I agree with the pale blue/gray paint color. I wouldn't do any window treatments. Those are too gorgeous to cover.
  • skurland
    11 years ago
    add some colorful chairs and a rug
  • Tracy Scott
    11 years ago
    This suggestion only works if it's in keeping with the decor of the rest of your home: I would add "fixed" drapes to either side of the walls for added softness, color and texture. An antiqued walnut jacobean library table ( i have a 107 year old one) as a dinning room table and matching jacobean end-chairs. Guests chairs of a different complimentary style and a tudor style pendant and buffet. A large mirror or tapestry art over the buffet and a large area rug.
  • PRO
    studio | FORMA
    11 years ago
    Thank you for posting the pictures. The home is indeed beautiful, inside and out!! I now see that the dining room location faces the front of the house by its side window. I could not tell before as there was no hardware on the doors on the original pictures but I had a feeling that gold/brass metal where going to be an integral part of this home. Having now seen the picture of the hallway with the build-In torchere at the foot of the stair rail made of gold/brass makes this an important part to consider when choosing colors and style for your Project. This could be your "Key" element to modernize this home to a fresh new look with out abandoning its original details.

Now if we could only see some of your existing furniture, fabric choices, pictures of likes and so on it would be easier to make suggestions.

One suggestion I have right away is related to the wainscot in the Hallway. There is a substantial amount of wood detailing in this space, specially the paneling at the stairs location, which is stunning. Have you consider removing the wainscot in this room (Hallway)? This would immediately change the feel of this room.

A large mirror with sconces at either side along with a thin profile console table opposite of the stairs would reflect the beautiful paneling and break up the bowling alley effect by breaking up the length and widen the space. A beautiful bench on the paneled wall would work nicely to cover up the ventilation/grille.
  • PRO
    studio | FORMA
    11 years ago
    meant to include another console and benches.
  • PRO
    studio | FORMA
    11 years ago
    meant to include another console and benches.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    In my view, don't paint any of the wood. It is beautiful and fits the house.

As to furnishings, it would be a help to know your tastes. If you have selected an idea book or have furniture that you want to keep, let us see the pictures.
  • kelliwhenderson
    11 years ago
    All great suggestions. Your fixture should be something fun and dramatic ....
  • Shelley Kelley
    11 years ago
    Round Table, definitely. I love the idea of keeping the transoms exposed, no way would I want to cover them. They are so beautiful. I can think of no curtains which would enhance the windows, but just simple blinds which can be opened all the way as to be unobtrusive the majority of the time. Beautiful room. Your windows are the centerpiece of the room. IMO. :-)
  • PRO
    At Your Service Custom Window Treatments
    11 years ago
    I created a few visuals - one room in soft blue but then I read that you already painted the walls beige. I agree on a round table and fabric in some form on the windows because it softens all the dark wood. I think pattern and style depend on your style - do you want to keep the older feel of the home or use some elements to make it a bit more modern.
  • georgeyoung
    11 years ago
    A beautiful round antique table with a large, antique crystal chandelier dropped above for window light to shine through in the day would be gorgeous. Make sure SCALE is correct. That is something most people need help with. A Benjamin Moore moss green on the walls with a high gloss ceiling paint to reflect would be lovely. Perhaps white shutters from middle of window down (i.e., bottom of windows) would give privacy and still keep a view.
  • csabdalla
    11 years ago
    @anewpennameandthata - No one dines anymore?? Yes, they much do.

To the original poster. Your room is lovely, but very, very dark with the dark wood and paint color. I would really suggest an looking into shades of white paint and choosing a spectacular hanging lantern to really show off this wonderful room. Be fearless and make it a room you will WANT to use as often as possible - to dine.
  • Nadejda Hristova
    11 years ago
    a blue rug , not round table, it is loosing it if all rounded ,and good curtains,: something like : http://www.arzustudiohope.org/products/compassion.aspx ; http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1159311&categoryId=cat1560031 [ azure color], walls 2 tones lower then curtains.... any tables as http://www.yliving.com/de-la-espada-535-minimal-table.html [ dark and chairs blue]...lamps seems cute, why changing it -:) the room the way it is seems so gorgeous .....the colors as well, seems just this little great blue colors of the windows needs more concentrations -:)
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I would definately go with some colors drawn from the stained glass--maybe something a bit deeper and more dramatic than you normally go for--it will look great at night. Maybe not quite as saturated, but a jewel tone, like aqua, green or persimmon even.

The windows do have an Arts and Crafts feeling to them. A Morris or Voyseystyle wallpaper might look great, especially since hanging art on curved walls will be difficult. The patterns tend to be very dense but can look more like a texture from a distance, depending on the pattern and colorway you choose. Starch can be used to stick fabric on the wall like wallpaper, and is less of a committment than wallpaper. Stenciling is another option and there are a lot of wonderful stencils out there, and some all-over or Prairie style ones seem almost modern.

Definately a round or oval table and rug to match, perhaps custom bound to fit the room perfectly. Stenciling the floor is another option and was actually a very popular floor treatment until around the 1900, although that is a tough option for a newly refinished floor..

What a lovely American Foursquare. I do think it looks a little naked though without a period-appropiate chunky railing on the porch though. Some artwork and a narrow bench for putting on shoes and whatnot would be nice for the hallway. Richer color, stenciling or a border could be nice too and really set off the woodwork.

Here are some period style rooms from Bradbury and Bradbury and others for inspiration. A simplified version could add a sense of richness. It is hard to go for color, but it can really enhance such beautiful woodwork..
  • bustlelady
    11 years ago
    I agree 100% with victorianbungalowranch ! As for not wanting to cover those fantastic windows , perhaps roller shades mounted inside the window casing ?
    That would work with the period of the home and you can add an accent stencil to compliment the wall border , like shown here :

http://www.annwallace.com/catalog/RollerShades.html
  • lionnessone
    11 years ago
    Is there another room in your home you can utilize as a dinning room?
    I see this room as an elegant room for entertaining.
    I saw this photo and thought about how beautiful this room would look in your home, perfect, right?

[houzz=
    Malinard Manor - Master Bedroom Sitting Area · More Info
    ]
  • reolee
    11 years ago
    Wow, you have a lot of great suggestions here! If I may add one more... First, congrats on finding such a rare gem! This house speaks volumes of character! Your room is pretty dark with the dark wood trim. I would suggest a soft, creamy off-white to accent the beautiful wood and transoms. I think the Sienna table would be absolutely PERFECT for your room!! The "At Your Service Custom Window Treatments" pics above have the right idea as to give you some privacy & soften the room, but still allows the windows to shine through. I do like the way the blue one brings out the color in the window pane. I'm not sure how high your ceilings are, but a traditional chandelier with prisms or a more modern drum chandy would both be great solutions, depending on how formal you want it to look. It would really add a lot if you were to refinish the floor, too. What a beautiful space! Best of luck with all your choices!
  • PRO
    Hovmøller Design
    11 years ago
    I would pick an oval Saarinen Table from DWR in white laminate. Chairs: you can choose more contemporary ones or more traditional. The table will be beautiful with either ones. Window treatments: roman shades top-down bottom-up allow light and view but also privacy, and they can be inside mounted so they do not hide the window frame. The fabric you chose for the roman shades can again be contemporary or traditional. DWR has a ceiling lamp called Random in white, that would look great above the white oval table. The lamp has volume but lightness and transparency, definitely a more contemporary style.
  • PRO
    Hovmøller Design
    11 years ago
    Here are 3 pics: Nelson lamp, random lamp and the Saarinen oval table. To introduce some white pieces in the room would brighten it up and bring out the charm of the traditional details on windows.
  • nomadkath
    11 years ago
    really lovely room! I'd be inclined to leave the gorgeous window alone, especially since you don't need privacy. Here's an idea I haven't seen yet.......I could imagine an arc shaped built in custom made, cushioned window seat bench with a smaller oval table in front of it, simple, upholstered chairs opposite. window seat cushion in a blue/teal to pick up the window, table cloth to soften. Maybe soft neutral silk panels just on outside of the window and bench....or maybe just on the side window. That might leave enough space for a couple of wing chairs toward the hall end, so you could also use the room as mini sitting area.....after dinner brandy.....game at the table and 2 or three chatting in a sitting area at the same time....reading against some cushions on the window seat when you aren't entertaining..... I noticed the neat way they did the wood floor -like that. So many suggestions coming ....you'll have to really think about the flavor and function of what you want this room to be for you.....good luck :)
  • PRO
    Ms
    11 years ago
    I agree with feenie that this is an arts and crafts room and you need to stay close to that heritage. A wonderful arts and crafts rug would be lovely. I also agree that lightening up the wall call to a linen shade would be nice, complemented by the linen or silk linen blend roman shades on the actual windows, leaving the transoms along. A large round table and upholstered Stickley chairs, yes! I think if you were to go with more contemporary furnishings and chandeliers you would be violating the spirit of the room.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Traditional Renovation · More Info
    You might want to consider the practicality of an oval table rather than round.
  • kimscasey
    11 years ago
    Please choose a more appropriate sized lighting fixture. Given the age of the house, I would consider a vintage one. If not, you can go with something crazy modern. But the one you have is boring, and the wrong size. You have two choices: Pick a stunning fixture, and work the room around it, or design the room, and pick the fixture to highlight (no pun intended :^) )
  • kimscasey
    11 years ago
    Please choose a more appropriate sized lighting fixture. Given the age of the house, I would consider a vintage one. If not, you can go with something crazy modern. But the one you have is boring, and the wrong size. You have two choices: Pick a stunning fixture, and work the room around it, or design the room, and pick the fixture to highlight (no pun intended :^) )
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Revisiting. This query has drawn such fabulous suggestions and ideas. Almost seems as though a book could be written about this room! The house must be 100 years old - the style is interesting and appealing to many people and calls forth a lt of very artistic concepts.
  • Joanne Jean
    11 years ago
    Beautiful space but feels a bit dark. Choose something that will brighten it (paint colur and new lighting). I would go for a round table and upholstered chairs as many have suggested.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I bet the room doesn't feel as dark as it appears in the picture. The light from the window is probably throwing off the exposure.

Besides, we spend most of our time in formal dining rooms at night and on special occasions, so they can go dark and dramatic, especially with some white tablecloths and silver to contrast.Then it can be intimate and cozy.
  • Tenant Proof
    11 years ago
    Don't paint your walls or the woodwork white. The warm ocher color looked good so could a sage green or a deep burgundy. Choose your paint color at night with the lights on because that is primarily when you will be using the room. Light can really change what a painted room looks like so choose the paint color at the time of day you will most likely be using the room. If you live in New England and spend more than half the year waking up in darkness and coming home in darkness choose your paint color at night also so it is warm and inviting.
  • Lynn Baldwin
    9 years ago
    Lucky you! Gorgeous room with beyond great bones. I am going to suggest two very different options for this room. Option no 1, paint your walls the colour of your choice in a shade which complements the stain glass add very simple side panels on either side of the window. Both the curtains in the paint should match very closely so the stained glass is framed. A Venetian glass chandelier, again on tone with the drapes and walls can be added. Make sure when it is hung, it sits low so as not to ruin the sight line of the stained glass. Next, get some light coloured, glamorous modern furniture as suggested by the some of the other contributors. This option will give you a very clean contemporary room, and will make the traditional elements in your room stand out. Table has to be round to highlight the bowed window. Placemats, flowers etc.. all need to blend in with the colour of the walls. This option will highlight the room's best features, will lighten and modernize things but will not change any of the traditional features of the room. Option 2, is a more traditional option. Paint your walls, in a neutral shade, add light coloured drapes, traditional wood furniture, light coloured upholstery on the chairs and a light coloured rug on the floor. Finally finish thing off with a light coloured chandelier. Fortuny silk, or mother of pearl would be great choices. Regardless of whether you choose the more modern route, or the more traditional route add a couple of rococo or chinoiserie style gilded mirrors. Enjoy your beautiful room!
  • Lynn Baldwin
    9 years ago
    PS, no painting the woodwork, choose your colour for nighttime dining!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Lynn, this was posted over two years ago. Love looking back on some familiar names who are no longer with houzz. Watch the dates. You have given lots of your time to a dead in the water convo. Sad. All this time that everyone gave and ...nothing.