Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2676265

Granite too matchy?

I am trying to choose granite. We just installed the floor and my husband won't budge on the cabinets. We also must keep the white appliances. I also looked at another piece of granite that I really like but it has a lot of black-and-white and the rust color in the cabinets. Is the sample on the floor too matchy? Should I go with the second photo of the slab? I plan on going with a black sink.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I agree. Think this too much like the floor. The other doesn't do anything for the cabinets. Might want to see if you can find something like a butterfly beige.
  • PRO
    Duncan's Creative Kitchens
    9 years ago
    Personally, I like the first selection. It has warmth to tie in the floor and cabinets, but still a touch of cool tone to pull in the white appliances. A black sink would look sharp in it too.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    I like the first section as well, and think it works very well with the floor.

Black countertops suck the light out of the area, and you're constantly trying to find ways to make it lighter.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    It is fine. Have you considered darker counters? My vote is use the granite and pickle the cabinets a creamy white.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    You could also stain the cabinets darker, the white appliances should eventually be changed to stainless steel.
  • Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Gray & Walter, you truly helped me when deciding my siding I almost made a very bad choice to contrast that with my brick.also, I have thought about darker granite. I just can't figure out if it should be brown or black.
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    Anthracite or mid grey granite for the counter tops, black sink from Home Depot, white appliances. Rust colored cabinets would be great with this combo.
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago
    I rather like the second granite. It ties into the warm floors, the cabinets yet leaves you room to put in a cool darker backsplash. Are you adding a tiled backsplash?
  • Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really should add a backsplash but I am torn about that as well. I have a drywaller coming and I may have him fix what is on my existing backsplash which is a bunch of 4 x 4 white tiles.
  • Emmy
    9 years ago
    I like the second much, much more.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think the first one is best with the floor, but think it through before committing because everything will be mid tone in color. A backsplash will be diffficult to select with a heavily patterned floor and counter. Then there are accessories to consider.
  • Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm going to follow the majority of the advice and go look at lighter and darker granite. I'll post photos when I get the samples. Thank you!
  • Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is very dark. Looks black from a distance.
  • Emmy
    9 years ago
    Pretty!!!
  • toomanywhitewalls
    9 years ago
    I think the original choices are not great matches. They actually seem too busy to me. I have a very similar floor in my bathroom and went with Uba Tuba. Our cabinets are medium toned though. It is a very popular granite color. So I am sure you can find a sample. In the light it looks greenish/blackish. Sort of like the one you just posted.
  • Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's vey similar to the UbaTuba in our upstairs bathroom.
  • Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I went with dark. Thinking about paint and backsplash...
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I would consider Cosmic Gray from Lowe's. It is a true neutral similar in pattern to Blue Pearl but without the blue undertones. It would contrast nice with cabinets and floor and work well with black sink.
  • Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would the cosmic grey totally clash with the taupe in my other rooms? I love grey.

• Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Not at all. Grey is as neutral as beige. Just be sure to tie it all together with your accents.

• Mandi Kriewaldt-Koss
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hal, I looked up this paint color and cannot find it anywhere. Is it possible that it's called something else?

• Elizabeth F
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would strongly recommend putting in dramatically brighter fluorescent lights. I replaced mine in my tiny little galley kitchen, and just having all that light makes it feel more open, more cheerful and cleaner -- if you can believe that. It creates the feeling of natural light spilling in.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!