Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gem_cap

GW to Houzz user name change?

Gemcap
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Not kitchen post per se, but user name changed as per sign in? I shoudn't mind, but like all things familiar, am right now missing the easy access and homeliness of GW...Hopefully old wine, new bottles... (Edited)

Comments (57)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Hi Tamara. Do we have access to our saved posts from GW?

• Honu3421
    9 years ago

Hi Tamara:

I am also unable to change my Houzz profile name to my old GW name. That GW name was a little obscure and it's hard to believe that someone would have the same name with the exact same numbers attached. I am curious - did our old GW profiles roll into Houzz and that is why they are not available to us? I am not sure how this is going to post so will sign off as Honu3421

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    9 years ago

It won't let me sign out from my Pro profile to be able to sign into my GW private citizen profile!

• michey1st_gw
    9 years ago

I had accounts both on Houzz, and on GW. Somehow I was arbitrarily assigned a new username (that I must use to log in with), and when I try and change it to be the username I know and love, it says it's in use (because that is the same username I used on Houzz...). All of my ideabooks and such are still around and tied to this new account, though. I just have a new login now that I don't really like =/

• Emily H
    9 years ago

You can actually change the name that displays with your posts, separately from your username you use to log in. To do so, just click where you see Your Houzz in the upper right corner of the page, then Edit Profile and enter the name you would like to display with your posts where you see First Name on the Edit Profile screen. That will update the name displayed with all your past and future posts.. Hope that helps and sorry for any confusion!

• michey1st_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks, Emily! My display name is indeed how I want it (michey1st) however my login Username (which also happens to be the same thing that makes up my public profile URL), is not what I wish to be publicly displayed. Is there a fix?

• kitykat
    9 years ago

Nope...tried the 'edit' change and it keeps saying my name is already taken. Of course it is... cause it's ME!!!!! Thinking there will be many, many furious people here...

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

That is NOT my problem Emily. The problem is my old posts are no longer associated with my new AND improved account. I can't get at my old account PERIOD because any attempts to do anything redirects things to my existing Houzz account which has a different user name. Both the Houzz and the GardenWeb account had the same email address but DIFFERENT usernames.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Tamara and Emily: do you mean changing the First Name field on Edit Profile? There is no "Display Name" field as Tamara is recommending. I'm chicagoans on GW, let's see if changing my Houzz first name helps. (When I tried to change the User Name on Houzz I got the same error everyone else did.)

Editing to add: Use the First Name field to change your displayed name to your GW name.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Didn't work for me either. I have no choice but to use my Houzz user name. It's only slightly different so not so bad for me but I'm sure others won't be so lucky and it take time to figure out who is who.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Changed mine and put a _gw behind it, as I've noticed others doing. I think that might be a good idea while we get this change all sorted out.

• User
    9 years ago

Still not working.

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Yes, change the 'First Name'. Sorry for the confusion!

• kitykat
    9 years ago

Tried the '_gw ' option and that also did not work... so I added numbers, and now am kitykat once again. Talk about anxiety, I felt like someone had stolen my identity!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, I used the "First Name" field.

• 3pinktrees
    9 years ago

Just testing here to see what I show up as I this identity crisis.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Thanks, chicagoans, that worked for me this time. You and I were posting at the same time earlier so I didn't see your post until now.

Okay, this is weird. I copied and pasted your screen name and it highlighted it like I was tagging you on FB. I will NOT like that feature. I copied and pasted user's names all the time to avoid getting them wrong in posts. Guess that won't work anymore.

• javiwa
    9 years ago

Ridiculous number of hoops to jump through -- this transition could've been handled much more smoothly. It's 2015, for Pete's sake.

• javiwa
    9 years ago

However stylish houzz might think their font is (size, color), it is extremely difficult to read.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I hate change.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I had two different user names and two different email addresses and now am stuck I can't combine them, I can't edit either one, I just get user name or email already taken. Didn't anyone at Houzz think about this for even five minutes? Obviously some of us were going to have accounts at both places that weren't identical. All they had to do was give us a heads up to edit our accounts to match before they pulled this unannounced merge. Now I have to give up my entire history on one of these places or just carry on logging in and out with different user names. Unless someone has a clue how to untangle this?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

test. Hopefully it doesn't show up in my ideabooks.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Soooo... if you used a different email address to sign up for Houzz from the one you used for GW are you basically SOL?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I hope not but it sure seems that way.

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

It's a mess!

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

Okay, that finally worked. I changed the "Profile Information" at the bottom...and put my username as the first name. When I tried to change it under the "Account Information"it kept saying that my name was already taken. YES, I know....by me :(

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I was able to restore my GW username doing exactly what Tamara suggests.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

This is just too hard . . . I should be MizLizzie.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Okay, I am changed. But this thing kept ordering me to sign in to my Houzz account, and then rejecting my password. I went to my iPad and made the change on the app. It worked. I then closed out of browser and opened it back up again. Then weirdcatlady became MizLizzie. If this helps anyone.

• poohpup
    9 years ago

I feel like an old friend died. So many people who have been around GW for years are suddenly unrecognizable! I'm sad.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Pooh - I know the feeling I am testing to see if I found my name again

Yeah - at least I have my handle back!

• poohpup
    9 years ago

Yea! A familiar face! Glad to see you A2!

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh good a2 - you're still the same. Am checking to see if other familiars are there too.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Ugh... I don't want to restore an account, I want to merge. Not fun...

• gothammom
    9 years ago

I would really prefer to have two separate accounts, ugh. But I used the same email address......frustrating!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Houzz format has never been a favorite. I have to figure out how to unclick email me everyone's reply after mine..

• darbuka
    9 years ago

Wow, knew this change was coming, just didn't think it would happen so quickly. Haven't posted in a long while, but want to test my handle.

Yup, I feel like I've lost an old friend, too.

• Emily H
    9 years ago

Hi Terri, You can adjust all your notification settings by visiting your profile, clicking Edit Profile and then where you see Advanced Settings on the left side of the screen.

Everyone else, for individual questions, you can also email us at gardenweb (at) houzz.com. We are also anxious to get this sorted out and as smooth as possible for everyone. :)

• cawaps
    9 years ago

still testing to figure how who I am and how many identities I might have here.

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tamara - I got my display name back following your guidance, but need to sign in with my email ID as Houzz insists that my user name is already taken. Yes, it is mine, as I had the same one with the same mail ID for Houzz and GW. However its not a big issue.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I was able to change my dispay name but will have to remember my log in name

One good thing - GWebbers recently were wishing for a "like" button and we have it

I have't tried a picture- but looks like it might be easy but I read a few picture limit. Any chance of an enhancement?

Ipad is driving me crazy as no auto punctuation at end of sentences nor auto cap on next sentence unless I triple space bar for auto cap Is this my iPad or others notice this issue

Today, original post date is showing. Thanks

Thanks

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Hi Gemcap - Because the name 'gemcap' was already in use, you'll need to always sign in with 'gem-cap'. However, once you're signed in, your display name will always show you as Gemcap - so you won't have to worry about changing it or having your friends recognize you.

Hi a2gemini - You can load four photos to one post. But, if you have more that you want to showcase, you might want to think about creating an Ideabook - which will allow you to add many more photos.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I had separate Houzz & GW accounts associated with different emails. I preferred to keep the GW name, but wanted also to hang onto my existing Houzz ideabook. It wouldn't let me change my user name because the GW handle was already taken, so I deactivated that account and tried to change my original Houzz user name to the GW handle. It still says that it's taken. Any ideas?

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Erm Tamara, where exactly is the feedback@houzz link? I thought it was an email feedback@houzz.com (with the missing .com being a typo), so sent an email which bounced back. Thanks

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

gardenweb(at)houzz.com is the one I used

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Sorry, Gemcap, my mistake. Use gardenweb(at)houzz.com.

• zurk
    9 years ago

this is such a mess lol

• DA_Mccoy
    9 years ago

Say what you wish about a Houzz member already having registered my user name. I don't buy it in my case or many other cases, but that's the reason they gave me. But answer me this, why is MY e-mail address not usable? Houzz claims it is already being used. Well, they are wrong. It's my e-mail address and has been used on GW since 1998 when it was THS. Plus, it is the one that I have been communicating with Houzz to remedy my user name and my requests for them to unlock my e-mail address for my usage..

It is my opinion the notification plan was poorly done. and the migration plan was even worse.

DA

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

THey haven't even responded to my complaints. The GARDENWEB user name is clearly the one that was "converted" except their untested transfer software failed to realize that a gardenweb user may have also registered on Houzz with the same email address but a different user name.