Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travismlow

Curb Appeal with Landscaping and Side Yard Help

Travis
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We are trying to figure out how to get a little more curb appeal out of the house. The right and left front driveway where the empty planters are an issue. Then finally the side yard area. We weren't planning on changing anything on the house itself, but we're open to ideas.

1.) On the left side of the driveway, I was thinking about putting something that crawls up/around the wall to fill that empty void where no window is present, then maybe putting a bench in front/underneath? Maybe utilize the planters somehow.

2.) the right side of the driveway, I would like to take attention away from the cinder brick wall with possibly those planters/paint/whatever. The palms/plumeria in front need to be cleaned up a bit, but if you guys think I should change something up in there, Im all ears.

3.) The front of the house....I think I would like to get rid of the two palm trees (pygmy date palms?) on the left side that are covering the window. There used to be one on the right the same height but it blew over in a windstorm. Im not opposed to getting rid of all the palms along the house. The ones in the middle are covering up the sprinkler plumbing work and hose, but I am sure that can be covered up some other way if needed.

4.) The sideyard...No idea. The property is pretty much divided down the middle. Something that looks nice that adds some sort of division would be nice. the grass doesn't grow very well further back because there isn't much sun. So I wouldn't be opposed to ripping out some/all of the grass on our side.

Thanks for taking a look!

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

You could try to transplant the palms into a space where you need some greenery. New, they are quite expensive. If you don't want them at all, you might actually be able to sell them for several hundred dollars each! The cinder block wall and garage door share the same problem- stark white when the house and stone are in warmer tones. Both would look good painted the color of the house, and then, possibly darker trim around the windows and under the roof line. Be careful of wall-climbing plants that might send tendrils into the structure of the house itself. A separate trellis or an arbor would be a good idea, especially with a bench underneath. Ornamental grasses are nice to plant to fill in with in the planting beds to each side of the driveway, especially if you don't want to spend a lot of time landscaping. The palms along the side of the home would look wonderful in one continuous bed, instead of those little circles around each tree.

Travis thanked User
  • er612
    9 years ago

Could you extend the rock wall to the property line on the left?

• Travis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cinder block wall is only white on our neighbor's side, but obviously you see it as you approach our house. Our side is unpainted.

The trim around the windows is that styrofoam stuff covered in stucco. Can that be painted? Or does it need to be restuccoed in the color? What color were you thinking?

Were you suggesting possibly moving the smaller pygmy palms to the sideyard to act as a division?

er612,
    Yes it could be extended, but that is too much of an undertaking. Would require a lot of moving of dirt and too much of a project. It doesn't look like it from the picture, but the property runs up hill a bit as you go towards the back of the house.

• Travis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ya I agree the numbers are a bit lame...what color you think? Im having trouble visualizing how to match/change the trim with the base brown exterior color of the house. I already having lighting set-up in the front of the house so that should be easy!

• jeff1185
    9 years ago

Or maybe even do the numbers on the front of the brick wall, if you can get enough contrast to make them easily visible. Just think the font is a little dull and the placement on the side of the house is awkward.

• PRO
    EasyTurf
    9 years ago

If you're having trouble growing grass - or just want the a well-manicured lawn without the worry and hassle, check us out at www.easyturf.com. We can be the base for a very clean looking landscape - and you don't have to worry about 'not enough sun,' watering, brown spots - or anything really.

Let me know if you have any questions about synthetic turf -

Cheers!
    George

Beautiful Front Yard · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/projects/82914/beautiful-front-yard

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    9 years ago

I llke what you have done with what you were given. However.................................

a. Could you make the windows more attractive and the garage door less attractive, perhaps the color of the house.

b. Put the signs, that tell the robbers you are protected from a quiet entry, in the trash. The signs are not protecting you, they are advertising their installer.

c. Park your beautiful car IN the garage that was designed for its protection and long life.

d. Place a row of portable or wheeled planters across the entrance of the drive - pedestrians only - so your guests, yes -even your mother in law, park on the street.

Your guests are now greeted in a handsome arrival terrace (not a driveway) It is an entry court. Perhaps add some more planters and portable bench in front of the garage. Warm it up as best you can, in a portable fashion. Put the kettle on, the neighbors will be arriving soon to relax in your courtyard. Better add a radio for some background music.

Put the planters and furniture back along the walk to the front door at night, and illuminate them from the eaves above.

I can see it in my mind's eye, can't you? Don't you love it? Your mother-in-law will be stopping over every day now. Enjoy.

cascio.offsite@gmail.com