Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melingleby

Living room - where to put the television

melingleby
9 years ago
We just bought an older home with a wood burning fireplace centered in the room and big windows on both adjacent walls. The room is long but not wide so the distance a couch can be placed back from the fireplace is limited. I have not ruled out putting the tv over the fireplace but am curious if anyone has other suggestions. I am trying hard to find a better solution. I intend to replace all of the furniture

Comments (25)

• misfoursir
    9 years ago
    You can place the tv opposite the fireplace and your tv infront of the window
  • happyleg
    9 years ago

Right o left of fp. Or across from it. I hate tv over fp, ruins focal point, ugly cords.

• melingleby
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What kind of unit would you suggest if I go with to the left of the fireplace? (I am leaning here) just a white tv stand to match the mantle? I might look into built ins but that is probably further down the road
  • happyleg
    9 years ago

Yes that sounds good.

• whimsicaljey
    9 years ago
    I would put the tv in top of the fireplace .
  • studio10001
    9 years ago

I'd let the console colour be recessive, so that the fireplace gets focus. You will want a unit that is at least partially enclosed, to hide the exposed extras.

9 years ago
    Just remember when you place a TV over a fireplace you're always looking up to watch which can be very uncomfortable.
    Put it on either side.
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Can you put your TV and console on the wall opposite the fireplace? Then get two couches across from each other? That way you have the TV to watch while a warm fire makes things cozy. And you have the fireplace to watch when the TV is off. Add some pretty curtain panels on either side of your windows to fill out the walls; area rug and glass coffee table.

• melingleby
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I can put the tv across from the fireplace but I worry about the viewing from couches facing one another
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

I have that set up. We lay down on the couches to watch TV and the kids sit on the floor on big pillows. You can also sit on the couch like a chaise. I don't know how many people watch your TV.

• halcyonbear
    9 years ago
    There is a solution to the problem of looking up at the TV if you mount it above the fireplace. My husband and I have a similar situation and are planning to get one of these. http://www.dynamicmounting.com/fireplace-tv-mounts?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=ad3&utm_campaign=Dynamic Mount - Google build.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago

Couches can go in an "L" form.

• User
    9 years ago

For what it's worth, we thought about mounting our TV over the fireplace, too. Talked to a couple professionals who said people always want to mount the TV there, but they always recommend it. Bad for viewing (TV should be at eye level), bad for the TV in the long run. That's what they said, anyway. It also depends on what you want to be the focal point of the room.

• DeeBee
    9 years ago

Have you thought about a corner TV stand? That is where our TV is. We don't watch it that much as we have spectacular view windows- so it looks nice on it's glass stand, but is out of the way and isn't a focal point... unless you want to watch it.

• Kat Cheng
    9 years ago
    We installed our TV on an adjustable arm so that it can be angled as needed. The accompanying electronics are contained in a floating console. It turned out to be a good solution, in our case.
  • colormetuscan
    9 years ago
    I like a flat screen tv over a fireplace. Then built in bookshelves on either side, or maybe built-ins with bookshelves on top and doors on bottom for storage space. Otherwise, what about a smaller window by the door and the tv in the corner, then a round mirror over the fireplace with something like candlesticks and photos or knick knacks on the shelf? If you had the tv above the fireplace, you could put a tree (like a ficus) in the corner by the window with white lights. Just a few suggestions.
  • Jolene
    9 years ago
    Our is over the fireplace and it works for us. I could see people not liking it there. However we have the console and if you don't like it over the fireplace it could easily go on the console.
  • Jolene
    9 years ago
    Oh we also have a window to the left of the fireplace so built in would be wonky. If you could do built in and not be wonky it would be very nice
  • PRO
    Architectural Audio Integrators
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We traditionally will try to talk our clients out of putting the TVs above the fireplace. We have done a few, and as some people have stated it works for them. The biggest problem is that you end up feeling like you're sitting in the front row of the movie theater. The bigger the room the better it works, moving the seating back changes the viewing angle and it gets better. That and it tends to take the site line of the room and make you focus on the TV, we feel it should be the fireplace. Yeah, we are the weird installation company that doesn't want to make our stuff the focus of the house.

We did one of the mounts that drops the set down in front of the fire place so it is lower and we will never sell or install one again. The customer had the fireplace on while they were using the TV and melted a hole in the back of the TV. We had talked about not doing that with them but they forgot after a few years, big oops.

The full movement arm style mounts along side the fireplace are very nice and if you have the set installed by a professional they will hide all the wire and make the connections so you don't have any wires hanging. The nicest thing about an arm is you can put anything under the set. some of our customers will do a cabinet for storage, some will do plants, some just leave it open. It looks nice and the fireplace is still the center of attention.

AAI

Minneapolis MN

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

Why don't you consider a mirrored television. A TV when you want it, a mirror when you don't.

• tantacatho
    9 years ago

The room looks narrow, so if you put the TV above the fireplace I think the TV might be too close to watch. I would go with a mounted TV in the corner, or maybe look into getting a new curve TV.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would suggest you put the TV and stand across the corner that is to the left of the fireplace. Then, I would suggest that you move the large chair from the front window to the corner that is opposite the corner I suggested for the TV and stand. This would mean moving the sofa a bit closer to the entry door, but I believe it still would be centered in front of the fireplace. By moving the large chair to the opposite end of the room, you will free up space needed for the traffic flow into the room, and I believe having the large chair and the TV across corners will make the room cozy and inviting.

• PRO
    Standout Designs
    8 years ago

We also recommend that you have the TV at a comfortable viewing height. In your room you might want to consider placing it to the left of your fireplace on a low and wide console, filling up the space between the fireplace and exterior wall.

• happyleg
    8 years ago

Are you done? Show us please.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH